Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] What do you like least about Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What do U like least about Ubuntu?

Thank you for the tip, aysiu. I will look into the thread you mention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

definitely SCIM. I've been futzing around with the damn thing for hours and i still can't type in Chinese. in OS X, i click a check box in the control panel, hit ctrl space, and start typing... i can type in any application. i don't need to manually modify any global environment variables, i don't need to open up the terminal at ALL, and i sure as hell don't need to go online browsing forums that only let me search once every 30 seconds. as far as i can tell ubuntu's the best OS that runs on clunky i386 machines, but the instant OS X can do that (OS X kitten maybe?) steve jobs gets my soul.

also, the package dependency lists for universe/multiverse apps seem pretty much nonexistent... i realize the burden of responsibility falls on those providing the apps, but if there were more cooperation i'd feel more loved.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

The default installation uses 120 megs of ram. Considering that the (as far as I can tell) same setup on all the other distros I've tried ranges from 60-85 megs, that's a little high. In fact, Ubuntu is slow enough on my laptop that I can't bring myself to use it over, say Arch. This is a problem because when people notice I'm not using Windows and I go into the Gnu/Linux explanation, I have a hard time reccomending a distro. I want to suggest Ubuntu, but that usually comes out something like, "Well, Ubuntu is a great OS... I don't use it because it runs like crap on my computer.. but it is really excellent!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi
    The default installation uses 120 megs of ram. Considering that the (as far as I can tell) same setup on all the other distros I've tried ranges from 60-85 megs, that's a little high. In fact, Ubuntu is slow enough on my laptop that I can't bring myself to use it over, say Arch. This is a problem because when people notice I'm not using Windows and I go into the Gnu/Linux explanation, I have a hard time reccomending a distro. I want to suggest Ubuntu, but that usually comes out something like, "Well, Ubuntu is a great OS... I don't use it because it runs like crap on my computer.. but it is really excellent!"
    Xubuntu might be worth looking at then.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: What do U like least about Ubuntu?

Arnieboy,

Breezy is humming along on DeskPro and Dapper is master of hp.

I'm sorry but I don't have any issues with Ubuntu. Ubuntu gives me everthing I want in a distro. Perhaps somewhere down the Linux road. I will have an issue, however, I'm sure it will be an error caused by operator error.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The fact that a sysadmin with over 20 years experience can't simply move and copy files without going and learning a command line. Gnome sucks. Where is the right click context menu that allows me to change a file owner from root? WHAT THE ****?!? Seriously, Linux is going nowhere. I've spent 30 minutes searching forums both here and at gnome and I can't even move a couple of god damned Jpegs. Fix this, or stay a minority forever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crhylove
    The fact that a sysadmin with over 20 years experience can't simply move and copy files without going and learning a command line. Gnome sucks. Where is the right click context menu that allows me to change a file owner from root? WHAT THE ****?!? Seriously, Linux is going nowhere. I've spent 30 minutes searching forums both here and at gnome and I can't even move a couple of god damned Jpegs. Fix this, or stay a minority forever.
    Calm down? Consider a different approach?

Read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    The default fonts suck. They're uneven, ratty and rather unpleasant-looking.
    I have to mirror this sentiment. When I logged into Ubuntu (and Linux) for the first time the other day, I was horrified with the default fonts. It really gave Ubuntu a kind of cheap feel to me. Fortunately, I soon discovered that other typefaces are available for selection, but that led me to wonder why such unattractive fonts are the default (without apparent option). (Japanese characters are usually still in a different typeface than surrounding text, but I assume that to be fixable.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by crhylove
    The fact that a sysadmin with over 20 years experience can't simply move and copy files without going and learning a command line.
    I never heart of a system administrator with over 20 years expierience who does not master the command line. Do they really exist?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Konqueror

- Having to use a hack (xbindkeys) to have back and forward buttons working on my MX500. KDE should autodetect and use my mouse buttons. Windows can!

- Which toolbars you wish to display not being view profile specific. I don't want to see my bookmark toolbar in file management mode but I do want to see it in webbrowsing mode. I have to stay with Firefox because of this.

- Random crashes whem moving large amounts of files

- Not always honoring file associations. Had to uninstall kaffeine because of this.

Video

- All linux video players still flaky and buggy even with all the codecs installed. Only mplayer will reliably play all the many formats out there.

- Sound lags behind video in flash movies. Happens on both breezy and dapper.

Linux and X

- TV card support a mess IMO

- X's drawing speed not on par with Windows speed. Kwin comes close but still not as fast. Hoping AIGLX will improve this.

- Boot up time still too slow. KDE 3.5.3 and dapper getting close to MS though.

- Application loading times seem slower than Windows. Especially Openoffice vs MS Office 2000.

- Application reloading times seem slower than Windows. For example once firefox has been opened once in Windows you can open it again and it appears like lightning. Linux seems to take time to open it every time.

- Linux still lacks something as good as Foobar and Exact Audio Copy.

- My XP rig only exists now for gaming. Not Linux's fault but would be nice if developers released Linux copies of their games. F.E.A.R and a Linux version of Steam would be cool. Then I could be completely Windows free.
    Last edited by yaztromo; June 28th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast