Page 241 of 255 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by inguz View Post
    toshiba equium EA60-157
    i am running it in OpenGL
    yes i have the proprietary drivers installed and my graphics card is ATI Radeon mobility 7000 IGP hope this helps
    AMD dropped support for the proprietary Radeon mobile 7000 linux driver several years ago. The only option is to use the open source driver. However even with the open source driver I'm not sure the game will even run at a playable frame rate with only 64mb of DDR video memory.

Blizzard states WOW minimum system requirements as Radeon 9500 video card or better. This implies needing 128mb that which most Radeon 9500 series in that era had.

Still it's not impossible to get working. Just beware that not only are you running on ancient integrated video hardware that was never that well supported for 3D in linux, but is also below the windows requirements for the game.
    Last edited by Tweak42; July 22nd, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak42 View Post
    AMD dropped support for the proprietary Radeon mobile 7000 linux driver several years ago. The only option is to use the open source driver. However even with the open source driver I'm not sure the game will even run at a playable frame rate with only 64mb of DDR video memory.

Blizzard states WOW minimum system requirements as Radeon 9500 video card or better. This implies needing 128mb that which most Radeon 9500 series in that era had.

Still it's not impossible to get working. Just beware that not only are you running on ancient integrated video hardware that was never that well supported for 3D in linux, but is also below the windows requirements for the game.
    by also below the windows requirements does that mean i shouldn't transfer to windows xp? i am also allright with low framerate and all, as long i can stop it crashing on me the window that opens keeps on telling me that it might be because of a deficiency in wine, i am using 1.3 but previously used 1.2 and had the same problem. I am running linux 10.10 but thinking about upgrading to 11.04. I have also already done the wine tweak and didn't seem to do anything.any suggestions?maybe take a look at my config.wtf on the previous page see if anyone can notice what the probvlem is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

by also below the windows requirements does that mean i shouldn't transfer to windows xp? i am also allright with low framerate and all, as long i can stop it crashing on me the window that opens keeps on telling me that it might be because of a deficiency in wine, i am using 1.3 but previously used 1.2 and had the same problem. I am running linux 10.10 but thinking about upgrading to 11.04. I have also already done the wine tweak and didn't seem to do anything.any suggestions?maybe take a look at my config.wtf on the previous page see if anyone can notice what the probvlem is
    The problem is your hardware.

If the videochip is NOT supported by the Proprietary Drivers, why did you say it was?

The open-source drivers, while a VERY worthwhile project (and does an AMAZING job), just DOES NOT DO 3D WELL ENOUGH TO PLAY WOW ON OLD HARDWARE.

So:
    • Unsupported hardware
    • You said you had proprietary drivers installed, when there are none.

What else? It does make people trying to help a bit uncomfortable when we are misled. What else is REALLY going on?

Since you said you read everything, I now assume you haven't (or you would know about the 'unsupported' part, and why you can't play).

I do hate to say this, but for now, until the open source drivers improve (which they are doing, but it takes a LONG time), you just may not be able to play.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

i have linked the page that might convince you about the proprietary driver. I also do not think you have properly read every thing i said sstarting from the previous page because i havealready been able to play twice so i think it must be something to do with wine or my config.wtf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inguz; July 22nd, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I can read.

But, obviously, you don't know what a MODEM is.

Your issue is VIDEO.

Case closed.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    I can read.

But, obviously, you don't know what a MODEM is.

Your issue is VIDEO.

Case closed.
    explain?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

explain?
    The screen shot you posted only shows a proprietary dialup modem driver loaded. If you had a proprietary graphics/video driver loaded, there would also be a entry listed for it.

In summary, you are already running the open source radeon driver. It will work fine for 2D and 3D compiz desktop rendering effects, but beyond that don't expect much.

The fault in stability most likely lies with the drivers, not wine, but you will need to experiment with different versions if you have the patience and skill.

Adjusting the config.wtf is mainly for performance and graphical glitches. Any changes made there should be done after you can get the game running stable.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak42 View Post
    you will need to experiment with different versions if you have the patience and skill.
    ok will do so, i'll post back when it works(if it works)

Beans

I am running 11.04 Ubuntu with wine and I have something weird happening. I can't start WoW via the installer (via the Play button). It just closes the window and nothing happens. Once doing that I can't reopen the installer at all. I can only start it by using the terminal to navigate to the wine folder and using ./Wow.exe . The game runs just fine once up that way. I tried to use the repair function. After that, the installer made me reinstall over 5GB and same thing is happening. Any ideas?

Page 241 of 255 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251 ... LastLast