Page 237 of 255 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

this is the message
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by t.rei View Post
    It would probably be usefull to tell us the error message.
    I get no error, just freezes up.

Beans
    Distro

well I get that message after it freezes up....a few seconds later

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hm, considering this is a wine error... and the freeze takes a while... I would try this:

Natty, current wine install, current video drivers.

Create a new wine configuration in a new wine prefix. (i.e. .wine-wow)
    get winetricks
    install the ms fonts
    move or link your wow folder to the new wine-directory

run wow like this from a gnome-terminal: (obviously setting the desktop entry to your screens resolution)
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-wow" wine explorer /desktop=0,1920x1200 "$HOME/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl
    I guess that's what I would do. Oh and ofcourse do the obvious: delete the wow cache and the addons folder.

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry I'm a total tard when it comes to some of this stuff. I moved the wow folder into program files under the wine C:\ drive. i ran that line in the terminal and it opened a blue desktop. when i try to run wow again it still gives me that message.

is there something i'm not doing?

Beans
    Distro

I have to ask. Could the problem be I didn't install from disk through wine, as I'm using the old world of warcraft I have installed from my windows 7 computer.

Beans
    Distro

I'm also doing that...I had it installed on vista professional and just copied it over. it was a little older...it patched right though once i tried to run it through wine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I actually did that while back, when I used to still boot windows to game. So thats not the problem.

Considering it happens after a while of running wow, there is quite a chance that it's a bug in the graphics driver. You might want to reinstall that.

Also - the blue desktop is what that part of the line does: "explorer /desktop=0,1920x1200" - it basically creates a virtual windows desktop for the game to run, wich solves issues like dual screen settings.

The important part is, that wow gets launched.

As for the other parts of my hints - that was merely to exclude chances of a borked up wine configuration.
    So I'll take the time to make a step by step guide on how to get this going. At least how I got wow running smoothly (including ts3 etc) - will update this post in a moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Wow config guide for a nvidia-graphics-cards system on ubuntu Natty.
    Confirmed working by way too many hours of gaming.

Tested on the current desktop environments and with the common windowmanagers: kde, gnome, gnome-shell, lxde, compiz, metacity, blackbox and some more (even fvwm2 - I just wouldn't call that 'current' )

I give no guarantees for workiness of anything beyond this point!

You should do a quick printout of this for reference.

To get the latest nvidia driver from their site and install it on your system (omit this, if you don't want to use anything not from ubuntu - this might be considered 'advanced' and MIGHT require you to do the same thing after a kernel oder xorg-upgrade has taken place! - so keep the installer file somewhere safe - this will download it to your home folder.).

1. Install the latest nvidia-drivers
    ctrl+alt+f2 and login using your username and password
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/270.41.19/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
    sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run -a -q -s
    sudo service gdm start; logout
    now log back into your session (hopefully no errors are encountered and your new nvidia driver is loaded properly)
    I have just seen, that there is another beta driver available from the nvidia-server. This MIGHT be worth a try if the above one fails: (ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...x86-275.09.run) Same procedure, just different wget link.

Now check if everything required is there:
    alt+f2
    gnome-terminal
    Code:
    glxinfo |grep direct
    the output should contain: "direct rendering: Yes"
    don't close this terminal window - we'll need it some more

2: update your wine to version 1.3 from the ubuntu wine ppa.
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install wine1.3 wine1.3-gecko winetricks
    3: Create a wine configuration specifically for wow
    Code:
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-wow
    winecfg
    you can close the winecfg window because it will be done creating a basic wine configuration in the new wine prefix (aka "a wine directory") in your home folder. Keep the terminal open that you used so far (this is important due to the export WINEPREFIX part)

4. Install some files(fonts) for wow
    Code:
    winetricks corefonts
    This will download and install the basic windows fonts to wine's windows-system-folder. No more no less.

5. Move your Warcraft folder to the new .wine-wow one
    Code:
    mv "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft" "$HOME/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/"
    As you can see here - each seperate WINEPREFIX 'owns' it's seperate directory named exactly like the wineprefix. the dot in front of the name makes this a hidden one as is the default for this.

NOTE: If you are running another Language, i.e. German, the directory will be named 'Programme' instead of 'Program Files'.

6. Disable ptrace_scope
    This is a kernel thing that causes trouble for me - if you get a crash after typing your login and can't play, you need to do this. If not - well you are lucky. If you have to do it one, you need to do it after every reboot, I haven't really looked into automating it, since I hardly ever reboot.
    Code:
    sudo su -
    echo 0 >  /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
    exit
    7. run wow from this new installation
    If you have a single monitor system, this will work:
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-wow" wine "$HOME/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl
    If you have a second monitor attached use the solution with the virtual explorer screen and ofcourse adjust the resolution to match your screen:
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-wow" wine explorer /desktop=0,1920x1200 "$HOME/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl
    Now if all this is successfull - you obviously dont want to run wow like that every time.

8. Make an easy wow starter script
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/wow
    And write in that file:
    env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-wow"
    wine explorer /desktop=0,
    1920x1200 "$HOME/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl

Code:
    sudo chmod ug+x /usr/local/bin/wow
    You can now close the gnome-terminal and from now on run wow by simply doing "Alt+F2 wow". Or you can create a launcher on your desktop:

9. (opt) create a launcher to click on your desktop
    Rightclick on your desktop -> create Launcher
    Enter a name (i.e. WoW) and the command "wow" (without quotes) and select an icon by clicking on the little icon-placeholder on the left.
    For example the nice svg version of the warcraft icon from http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=41569

I think thats about all I ever did to run wow on ubuntu.
    Last edited by t.rei; May 25th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Beans

Why did you mention to delete the addons folder in the new wine directory for WoW? What does this do? Does everyone need to do that or just in some cases? Because I'm a pretty serious raid tank and raid healer, and I would probably suck without all my addons lol. Someone please explain. My wow runs ok right now, but I havent put it in its own directory. Been running it in windows as 11.04 has a few bugs and I'm hoping some updates will fix them soon. (Not Wine related though lol.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I wouldn't delete my addons really. But there is a slight chance, that a bug within one of the addons causes the crash of the wow client. For example, what if one of those addons just keeps using more and more memory?

What you can do at any time however, is to move the addons folder out of the game folder (to your desktop, backup or whatever folder) and see if the game runs properly. If the problem persists, you might as well just put your addons back into place.

As for the cache folder - I do strongly suggest deleting it or it's contents every now and then. The improvement in loading times is minimal, and the chance of some fragments in there being bungled exists. (bosses hate the word 'bungled'? - dilbert)

Page 237 of 255 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247 ... LastLast