Page 202 of 255 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

I am having a slight problem with the blizzard downloader. The problem is I can't use it!

Code:
    ghost@ghost:~$ wine WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe
    err:wineboot:pendingRename couldn't get file attributes (2)
    wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe": Module not found
    ghost@ghost:~$
    I got this code from help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Am I doing something wrong? I followed all the steps thoroughly and I can logon to my account, but I am met with the downloading update where my character should be. No matter how many times I login, I am always asked to restart as soon as the update is done. And as soon as I restart, the installer window pops up and asks me to install Burning Crusade.

I just want to run the blizzard downloader and get all the patches at once. Any help?
    Last edited by roh8880; May 10th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roh8880 View Post
    Code:
    ghost@ghost:~$ wine WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe
    err:wineboot:pendingRename couldn't get file attributes (2)
    wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe": Module not found
    ghost@ghost:~$
    You need to run that command from the directory that the EXE file is in.

Alternately, you can open the terminal, type in "wine " and then drag the file (WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe) onto the terminal window. It should work the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sirthorn View Post
    You need to run that command from the directory that the EXE file is in.

Alternately, you can open the terminal, type in "wine " and then drag the file (WoW-BurningCrusade-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe) onto the terminal window. It should work the same.

Got it now, Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by zami View Post
    Wacky.

I thought it was odd it was there, I just don't remember ever seeing two "wow" executables before but figured I just missed it.

It's on my husband's Vista machine as well

To make things even more curious?
    My husbands Vista machine has *only* Wow.exe, not WoW.exe at all.

His Vista machine -
    -installed WoW from original (old) discs
    -installed Burning Crusade from discs
    -upgraded for hours on end
    -installed "Wrath of the Lich King" via the "Full Client Download" avaialbe from Blizzard

My Ubuntu machine-
    all the same as above, except I could never get the client downloader to work right, so I finally just copied all the updated files from his machine.

Maybe it's the Full Client Download (and possibly the Trial Client Download) that exchanges one .exe for another?

Anyone with and/or without Wrath of the Lich King notice this oddity?

-Laura
    I just now am getting back to the game and the first thing that happens is the installer crashing. So I start downloading the full WOTLK file which is about 7 gigs, but then I read here and find your post, realize that I also only have a Wow.exe file. So I renamed it WoW.exe, tried the installer, and it worked.

I still got a popup which was blank as I began but things seemed to work anyway.

edit: oh and yes, vista and all windowses before it have all been case insensitive on filenames. And I don't think Wine handles case insensitivity, especially since it IS possible to have two files with the same name in linux, and Wine wouldn't know which to pick in those cases.
    Last edited by Kallewoof; May 14th, 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem copying folder of lich king.

I have sudo chown the files and I still cant copy them. It only tells me that it is a read only file system! How do you copy this?

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1064891

Nevermind!!!!
    Last edited by roh8880; May 14th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Thanks for posting, I used the tweak below, and fixed my auto crash in Dalaran. Everything worked great until a few patches ago and then I would barely get a chance to move before Dalaran would crash.

Thanks again,

[quote=Sammi;1844392]
    Reg tweak

This is a simple registry edit for Wine that either will either fix crash issues and increase framerate in game, or it will decrease the performance and even make the game crash. You should give it a try to see what is does for you, as you may always easily remove it again, if it acts negatively for you.

Open a terminal window, type regedit and press enter. This will start the Wine equivalent of the windows registry editor. If you are familiar with using the registry editor under windows then this is pretty much the same.

Notice: the guide below is case sensitive!

1. Find this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\
    2. Highlight the wine folder in the left hand pane by clicking left on it. The icon should change to an open folder
    3. Right-click on the wine folder and select [NEW][KEY]
    4. Replace the text New Key #1 with OpenGL
    5. Right-click in the right hand pane and select [NEW] then [String Value]
    6. Replace New Value #1 with DisabledExtensions
    7. Then double click anywhere on the line, a dialog box will open.
    8. In the value field type GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

/quote

Beans

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NightMKoder
    That doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run. The game may be new but the functions it calls aren't - since it does work on windows.

Back to the topic: the game isn't in appdb, so I can't tell you it will work. You can install firefox/flash player in wine and try it. It's actually rather easy:

Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks allfonts firefox3 flash
    See how it works, and possibly add an appdb entry. If something is wrong, post a wine log.

I tried to use this to get FreeRealms to run. Sadly, it not only didn't work, it seems it might have broken WoW.

I am totally new to Ubuntu (I'm using 9.04 Jaunty), but....I had WoW running FLAWLESSLY (I was amazed) using Wine. Then after the Blizzard update this past Tuesday....it just stopped. The game won't open. It will open the launcher, but if I click on "options" at the bottom...it gives me nothing but a white space in the launcher, and if I hit "play" it says:

Program Error
    The program WoW.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

Then it says to go to appdb.winehq.org, which of course tells me nothing of use. I read through all the comments and couldn't find anyone having this problem.

I got this problem after using the "winetricks" fix above, AND the patch, so I'm not sure which is responsible for it.

How do I UNDO the "fix" called winetricks that was posted, just in case that is the problem? (I posted this on the original thread, but now it has become a WoW problem, so I don't know if they're going to be able to help me at this point...so here I am.)

Please go easy on me, I'm totally just learning here and thank you for your help. If you tell me how to post a Wine log....I will.
    Last edited by fromple; May 21st, 2009 at 01:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Smoerrebroed View Post
    Hello Everyone,

after some absence from WoW, I'm now trying to get it up and running on my (now) main machine with the following specs:

• Lenovo ThinkStation D10 (Single Intel Xeon E5440)
    • 12GB RAM
    • Two 1TB HDDs in a RAID0 configuration
    • NVidia Geforce 8800GT w/ 512MB RAM
    • Two 24" TFTs with TwinView (3840x1200)
    • Ubuntu Jaunty AMD64

I've got WINE 1.1.20 from WineHQ installed and WoW was copied over from my previous install under Windows. The Launcher is working just fine and has managed to upgrade it to the latest version by downloading all patches. So WINE in general must be working.

Here's the catch: After doing the modifications from the WIKI (OpenGL, ...), I can start Wow.exe. Then I get the opening screen including sound which prompts me to accept the RoC. As soon as I move the mouse cursor onto the screen that's showing WoW, only the desktop is displayed but the mouse cursor is hidden. It is, in fact, not displayed while hovering over the WoW window, but this one is transparent. There's only a little square in the upper left corner, but that's it. No error message is generated on the console where I started WoW from.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Smoerrebroed
    Try adding the folowing to your Config.wtf:

SET readTOS "1"
    SET readEULA "1"
    SET readScanning "-1"
    SET readContest "-1"
    SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "-1"

That should get you past the ToC part to the login screen.

Edit:
    Also, did you disable compiz effects? And I haven't checked, but I feel like you used to have to install an IE rendering engine for that, not exactly sure where your problem is coming from, but those are the things that stick out in my mind.
    Last edited by dnovotny; May 21st, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Kept thinking about it

Beans

It's working! =)

If anyone's interested- I installed the ATI driver again and it just seems to be working (I honestly doubt they've updated the driver within the past 3 hours). The only changes since last time I tried the driver was the edit I have below- in the registry [Direct3D] "OffscreenRenderingMode"="backbuffer", but I'm running it in opengl so I don't know wtf.

Original Post:

Hello everyone,
    I wrote up a long post which then disappeared, so I apologise if I leave something out =/

I'm hoping someone can help me with an extremely slow frame rate- about 1 frame/10 sec with opengl and 1 frame/5sec in d3d.

Specs:
    * AMD Athlon X2 7750
    * 6gb RAM
    * integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 (Gigabyte MA78GM)
    * Wine 1.1.23

As for the graphics card driver, when I install the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver" WoW won't run at all, I just get a seg fault. So I'm just using the one Ubuntu 9.04 picked out, I'm new to linux and not sure how to find that version info.

Direct rendering: Yes

Dlls inserted: msvcp60, mfc42, riched20, riched32

config.wtf: SET M2UseShaders "0" - screen no longer black in d3d
    SET ffxDeath "0" and SET ffxGlow "0" - doesn't seem to make a difference

registry: [opengl] DisabledExtensions- GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object seems to make a slight improvement in opengl mode (1 frame/12sec down to 1 frame/10sec)
    EDIT: [Direct3D] "OffscreenRenderingMode"="backbuffer" no change

winecfg
    : Turning off the pixel and vertex shaders make the mouse (gauntlet) move at normal speed in d3d mode.

xorg.conf: Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "off"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    doesn't seem to make a difference

Sound: is fine and runs at normal speed

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions people might have as the game is completely unplayable as is.
    Last edited by Calios; June 14th, 2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Problem fixed

Beans

Talking Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Hello!

I am new to UBUNTU, and Linux as a whole, but have figured out a nice bit while dealing with various problems.

So, to start: I fought with the Install for World of Warcraft. After finally finishing the Install (Burning Crusade only), I have attempted to load it, several times. Tweaking settings, such as pixel shader for D3D, and OpenGL regedit values for wine.

So, I am at a loss now. This simple laptop should be able to handle this game on low settings, as it did before.

UBUNTU ACER ASPIRE 5515

O/S: UBUNTU 9.04 "Jaunty"
    Memory: 1.7GiB
    Processor: AMD Athlon Processor 2650e (1.6GHZ SingleCore)
    ATI Radeon x1200 Graphics

I have not changed any DLLs, or any other major files except Ubuntu Restrcited so I could use HULU (I solved that one!)

Main problems seem to be the video will stutter at the login, and freeze and crash when I get onto the game. There is a memory error, and failure.

So, now my question is: how do I fix this? I am not looking to set it on high, but I want to at least play it.

Thank you,

E. LeGuille

P.S. -- I have also removed COMPIZ.
    Last edited by LeGuille; June 14th, 2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Update.

Page 202 of 255 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast