Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedega!!!

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Cedega!!!

Okay, I'm in gutsy and I was an avid gamer back when i had used windows. I loved the pop 'n' install 'n' play. So the folks down at transgaming created cedega. I love cedega, in wine when I played starcraft there was no sound. Now under cedega there is! Question though. I want to install peggle under cedega but it wont start when I click play. Also is there some way to enable 3d acceleration under wine? (is there 3d acceleration in cedega?)

PS: give me your experiences with cedega too!!!

Beans

Re: Cedega!!!

Great app love it, I dont think i would be running ubuntu on its own without it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

3D acceleration is a function of your drivers. At least in the case of Wine, as long as you have the accelerated driver installed, you have 3D acceleration. I don't know if the same is true for Cedega, I refuse to use it for political reasons.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

3D acceleration is a function of your drivers. At least in the case of Wine, as long as you have the accelerated driver installed, you have 3D acceleration. I don't know if the same is true for Cedega, I refuse to use it for political reasons.
    Out if which political reasons?
    I simply don't run it because I believe that you get the same result in WINE and that it is a rip-off for students.

Although I can tell that at the moment I am facing problems with WINE and their games, yet with some help, support and trial & error I will finally be able to game like under windows, perhaps with even better fps etc

B2t.// There should be a some kind 3D accelerator in Cedega too. Perhaps they named it differently, but it really should exist, how else do you want to run games supporting 3D graphics o0

That would just come back to my point ;P

To GG (Gutsy Gibbon) Perhaps you should try it under Feisty rather than Gutsy since it isn't released yet as a full version and of course might still have some bugs

Good luck,

Adrian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FaLleN AnGeL View Post
    I simply don't run it because I believe that you get the same result in WINE and that it is a rip-off for students.
    Try Grand theft auto 3 and Home world 2 on wine.Then try both on cedega and tell me the results.I think you find that Cedega runs these two titles better.Having said all that I like wine too.Many games install and work with wine better then they do on windows and cedega,I think both are essentials for big time gamers using Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FaLleN AnGeL View Post
    Political as in in Open Source politics. Way back when, Cedega was originally a fork of Wine called WineX. The base code for that fork was a version of Wine that was pre-GPL (it was released under the old MIT license). As such, Cedega does not contribute anything back to the source project that spawned it, but still fully takes advantage of all the work the Wine developers had already done. They then started charging a subscription fee for something they didn't actually create themselves. It is a corruption of the Open Source ideal in every way.

I agree, Wine works just as well, if not better than Cedega for most games. The only real advantage Cedega has are a nice GUI to assist with running it and support for several copy protection models that Wine currently doesn't support. If you are not afraid of using the terminal and cracked exe's, those are really non-issues.

Beans

There's another advantage: In cedega you can multiply engines next to eachother and switch between them and/or set the games up with diffrent engines with a click or two.
    That's an option I miss in wine :-/
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Yes that would probably be what I miss.
    Halo works with 0.9.42

Beans
    Distro

True, but you can do that with Wine, it's just no where near as easy to do. I haven't attempted it myself (yet), but if I do, I'll be sure to write a nice how-to for it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    True, but you can do that with Wine, it's just no where near as easy to do. I haven't attempted it myself (yet), but if I do, I'll be sure to write a nice how-to for it.
    If you write a Howto for that I will never use Cedega again...

I would love to use multiple versions of wine.Playonlinux has that opition but I could never get it to work....Its a French wine addon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast