Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Beans

Re: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Deli Linux's link is now http://www.delilinux.org/

Perhaps there should be a mention of Kmandla's blog? Arguably one of the most informative, and regularly updated on doing stuff with old computers.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/

Hopefully not starting a distro war, but for the under 700mb catagory, I believe AntiX might be better than Fluxbuntu? AFAIK Fluxbuntu is not activity developed anymore (And 7.10 which it's based on will EOL by Jaunty). AntiX is an established project, still actively developed and is similiar in many ways, (Both uses fluxbox as main WM, ready access to debian/ubuntu repos)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sertse View Post
    Hopefully not starting a distro war, but for the under 700mb catagory, I believe AntiX might be better than Fluxbuntu? AFAIK Fluxbuntu is not activity developed anymore (And 7.10 which it's based on will EOL by Jaunty). AntiX is an established project, still actively developed and is similiar in many ways, (Both uses fluxbox as main WM, ready access to debian/ubuntu repos)
    I agree, I was a big Fluxbuntu fan when I first discovered Linux, but there are some bugs and questionable application choices (Openoffice in a "lightweight" distro?) and the lack of support/community is frustrating. I got around the end-of-life issue by dist-upgrading to 8.04, but then I ended up switching distros anyway. These days, I am really enjoying the new version of Crunchbang Lite 8.10 for my Ubuntu + *box needs, and SliTaz for when I want something really tiny. I've never checked out AntiX, though, thanks for the suggestion!

Beans

my uncle is having very old system. i will try to install linux in that one and i will get back to you.
    where there is a will there is a way.LOOSUPAYA twitterFollow me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merps View Post
    Fedora 8 Werewolf works ok on a 1Core 1Ghz Cpu.
    I use Vector Linux on a 1 GHz Pentium with 256 Mb. Works great!

Beans

I installed IPCop in a box with a Cyrix 200Mhz CPU & 64Mb RAM the other day. (It is my backup until I find a better one at the tip)

Interestingly two other boxes, one with a Celeron 466Mhz & the other with a PII 233Mhz CPU would not accept IPCop or Ubuntu server?

The Celeron, had an evil mongrel motherboard with an AT keyboard plug, a cable connected daughterboard with a mouse PS/2 connector & 2 USB 1.0 sockets, an ATX PSU, a socketed CPU was installed though the there was a slot also available, it had 64Mb of 72pin SIMMS installed & there are slots for DIMMS, & they worked!

Anyway, those two Linux unfriendly boxes were cannibalised for parts.
    Last edited by handy; December 30th, 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: disambiguation

Beans

I know of one I'd like to recommend. I downloaded it and burned it to a CD here while back, and I really like it. It's called DCL, and it's a Puppy Remix that uses the XFCE desktop environment and has what I consider to be a PERFECT assortment of software included on the CD. According to the site, you need at least 64MB and preferably at least 128MB of RAM in order for it to run smoothly.

DCL can be downloaded from http://www.brandoncornell.com.

Happy New Year, y'all.
    Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover Vacuum? Now they finally have a product that doesn't suck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fredbird67 View Post
    I know of one I'd like to recommend. I downloaded it and burned it to a CD here while back, and I really like it. It's called DCL, and it's a Puppy Remix that uses the XFCE desktop environment and has what I consider to be a PERFECT assortment of software included on the CD. According to the site, you need at least 64MB and preferably at least 128MB of RAM in order for it to run smoothly.

DCL can be downloaded from http://www.brandoncornell.com.

Happy New Year, y'all.
    Nice one
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikjp View Post
    I use Vector Linux on a 1 GHz Pentium with 256 Mb. Works great!
    Hey that's alright nothing like some vector space to work with, I also got the old version of Mepis Lite RC edition from 2005 to load onto a P3 733Mhz with 128Mb ram even though it said it was i586, typing as we speak (I think it might even be possible to change the Window managers on it). Fatpup went on the same system and was bearable, and I could even play a game of duke nukem, but it was still not as good as it seems to be too ram hungry.
    Last edited by Merps; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Helo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Merps View Post
    Hey that's alright nothing like some vector space to work with, I also got the old version of Mepis Lite RC edition from 2005 to load onto a P3 733Mhz with 128Mb ram even though it said it was i586, typing as we speak (I think it might even be possible to change the Window managers on it). Fatpup went on the same system and was bearable, and I could even play a game of duke nukem, but it was still not as good as it seems to be too ram hungry.
    Yea Fat Pup has been giving me problems speed wise
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans

I just downloaded the Lowarch.iso that K.Mandla put up for us.

I haven't tested it yet, but because it will handle hardware pre-i686 it may be the champion I have been looking for.

At least sometimes.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast