Thread: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Beans

Re: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Quote Originally Posted by zmjjmz View Post
    I found something called Basic Linux.
    It's a two floppy distribution based on Slackware 4.0
    It even has a GUI
    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...ions/baslinux/
    (I'm going to try Smartboot first though)
    Basic Linux is cool, I recommend it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

update guys: my old 486 lappy is unfortunately too damaged to run anything

and I fould this computer with a 14" colour monitor, keyboard without number pad, touchpad instead of mouse, an i810 mobo,10GB HDD, 64 mb sd ram(and I can get 64 more for free from my friend) and a celeron 300 mhz processor. Its called an intel dot station, and was supposed to be a great budget computer back in 2002, but now its a cheap 90$ computer(in India).

I am thinking of buying it as a secondary computer, for my kid sister, who needs to surf the net, edit doccuments and presentations, play music, run Visual Boy ANdvance GBA emulator and play a few flash games(quite a light use really...)

can you tell me if this computer is worth it ? I am planning to install a light weight distro in it if I buy it.

and like the iMac :sarcasm: it has everything right inside the monitor. ecept the keyboard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    update guys: my old 486 lappy is unfortunately too damaged to run anything

and I fould this computer with a 14" colour monitor, keyboard without number pad, touchpad instead of mouse, an i810 mobo,10GB HDD, 64 mb sd ram(and I can get 64 more for free from my friend) and a celeron 300 mhz processor. Its called an intel dot station, and was supposed to be a great budget computer back in 2002, but now its a cheap 90$ computer(in India).

I am thinking of buying it as a secondary computer, for my kid sister, who needs to surf the net, edit doccuments and presentations, play music, run Visual Boy ANdvance GBA emulator and play a few flash games(quite a light use really...)

can you tell me if this computer is worth it ? I am planning to install a light weight distro in it if I buy it.

and like the iMac :sarcasm: it has everything right inside the monitor. ecept the keyboard.
    As long as you get more ram, it could probably do what you want it to. I've got a laptop with similar specs and it could do those things if it had a Ethernet port and some more ram. Don't expect it to run too fast though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by init1 View Post
    As long as you get more ram, it could probably do what you want it to. I've got a laptop with similar specs and it could do those things if it had a Ethernet port and some more ram. Don't expect it to run too fast though.
    No, you certainly don't need more RAM, but if you can get it, all the better. I did a server install(used the Ubuntu Minimal CD)and added XFCE, Thunar, Abiword, Synaptic, WDM, and Gnumeric. All running happily on 56 MB RAM and 8 MB video RAM. All you need to do is install the server system, edit your sources.list, and "sudo aptitude update" then "sudo aptitude install xorg xfce4 wdm thunar abiword gnumeric synaptic" and startx.

NOTE: Dont copy my commands, I just quickly typed them out, I think they are correct, but, just a warning. Take a look at the Low Memory install guide in Ubuntu Community Help.
    -Jason
    Acer TravelMate 4021WLCi 1.6 Ghz Pentium M, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD
    Gateway M675 dual processor 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD
    Windows OSX Linux

Beans

Again, my understanding of it is very superficial, so I might have that all backwards. I'd love to get to know it, but I'd have to invest in particular hardware, and I don't care to do that right now.
    why not try in a virtual box?
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans

because virtualbox uses more resources than native not less.

Beans

cp/m Ftw!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MONODA View Post
    why not try in a virtual box?
    Quote Originally Posted by darrelljon View Post
    because virtualbox uses more resources than native not less.
    I also find that virtual systems aren't always 100 percent faithful to the system being ... virtualized? Just as an example, I've tried some distros in a virtual machine set to simulate an actual target computer, but the problems that came up on the real machine were different from what I faced in the virtual one. In one way that's only to be expected though.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

I'm looking for linux desktop OS for my old PC a Pentium II MMX 400MHz with 128 Meg RAM. I tried Xbuntu without success. Also I'm new to Linux.

thanks,

Sandiz

Beans

Give antiX a try.
    It is basically Debian Testing plus MEPIS utilities for easy and quick install.
    Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways - the point is to change it.

antiX "Edelweißpiraten" - lean and mean. http://antix.mepis.com

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast