Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

I've been using compiz fusion for 2 months now and it's been working great. The key for me was switching from an ATI card on my Ubuntu box to an Nvidia. Nvidia's Linux support made it a breeze and I no longer have the headaches I had with Beryl and ATI. I'm also using Emerald Theme Manger with Compiz Fusion and haven't had a single issue. I'd like for some others to chime in with their experience. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

I switched to compiz-fusion about a month ago when I upgraded my test box to Gutsy. Previously I'd used Beryl. I apt-got removed beryl...and related prior to my upgrade. I left emerald alone.

I had to add two lines to my /e/X/xorg.conf to get compiz-fusion running on my hardware. I copied those lines from a backed up copy of /e/X/xorg.conf.

It's much better than my previous Beryl 3d desktop.

I turned off FF's pop up blocker so I could kill popups and watch them go down in flames

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Updated to Gutsy yesterday. Compiz and Emerald are working fine but I can't open Compiz Config Settings Manager. It's probably because of my previous install in Fiesty. I'd imagine the fix probably is one of those uninstall reinstall deals. But if anyone has a different fix for this let me know before I unleash some sort of mayhem upon my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Keithk,

Make sure you have the "compizconfig-settings-manager" package installed then the menu path should be "System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings". I had to remove the "gnome-compiz-manager" package.

-mark
    Last edited by markthecarp; October 20th, 2007 at 01:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markthecarp View Post
    Keithk,

Make sure you have the "compizconfig-settings-manager" package installed then the menu path should be "System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings". I had to remove the "gnome-compiz-manager" package.

-mark
    Thanks Mark! I just installed "compizconfig-settings-manager" package using Adept and now I can change all the compiz-fusion settings. However, before I reinstalled Gutsy, I had a fusion-icon next to my clock. I'd like that back for a one-click solution to bringing up the settings. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    Thanks Mark! I just installed "compizconfig-settings-manager" package using Adept and now I can change all the compiz-fusion settings. However, before I reinstalled Gutsy, I had a fusion-icon next to my clock. I'd like that back for a one-click solution to bringing up the settings. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks!
    Hum, I never had a fusion icon in the notification area; did have a beryl icon. One thing you can do is browse the menu to "System > Preferences" then right click on "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings"; that will bring up a dialog to add a launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Mark thanks for the advice. I ended up removing settings manager and reinstalling and it worked so I'm back in biz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by keithk View Post
    The key for me was switching from an ATI card on my Ubuntu box to an Nvidia. Nvidia's Linux support made it a breeze
    That is the key, I think, for a lot of people, that if you want/need this type of eye candy on your Linux Desktop, use nVidia products.

I have used Compiz before Quinnstorm wrote Beryl, so I am a long time user.

I like CF and use it on my gutsy 64 bit install.

Looks great and runs very well.

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markthecarp View Post
    Hum, I never had a fusion icon in the notification area; did have a beryl icon. One thing you can do is browse the menu to "System > Preferences" then right click on "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings"; that will bring up a dialog to add a launcher.
    Yes, I had the beryl icon as well. I've attached the fusion icon and a screenshot of what the icon I currently have looks like (when launching fusion-icon). I do know you can go to the "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" menu item to launch the settings but the fusion-icon is a little easier since it's sitting right there next to your clock!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    Yes, I had the beryl icon as well. I've attached the fusion icon and a screenshot of what the icon I currently have looks like (when launching fusion-icon). I do know you can go to the "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" menu item to launch the settings but the fusion-icon is a little easier since it's sitting right there next to your clock!
    Ah, KDE; sorry I'm not much help with KDE. Hum, I wonder if it's a KDE package specific to compiz. That would explain my gnome system never having it (compiz-fusion icon).

That is a purrty icon

It is the NCLoCo forum.

-mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast