Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quake 2 Install

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quake 2 Install

Now that I've found CNR to be a lame duck how can i install Quake 2?

I have an old Windows full version of it and there is Quake2-data that i can install from the reposotory in 7.04 but i haven't got a clue as to how to use this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quake 2 Install

Install the quake 2 packages from synaptic .Check where the package is installed .Its probably in /usr/local/games/quake2 folder

Then copy the pak files from the windows cd to this folder (or if there is a quake2base folder inside the quake2 folder.)

Steps are same for all id games

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by whistlerspa View Post
    Now that I've found CNR to be a lame duck how can i install Quake 2?

I have an old Windows full version of it and there is Quake2-data that i can install from the reposotory in 7.04 but i haven't got a clue as to how to use this.
    Install quake2 and quake2-data via Synaptic or apt-get ....

Copy the PAK files from your Windows install CD to /usr/lib/games/quake2/baseq2

Type quake2 in a terminal to start the game...
    pay it forward

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that guys.. Now I have another problem. When I put the Quake CD in . Serpentine opens up. I'm unable to browse the folder for anything much less find and copy the pak files. Can't seem to do anything about this.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that guys.. Now I have another problem. When I put the Quake CD in . Serpentine opens up. I'm unable to browse the folder for anything much less find and copy the pak files. Can't seem to do anything about this.
    Try
    Code:
    sudo cp /media/cdrom0/Install/Data/baseq2/*.pak /usr/lib/games/quake2/baseq2
    pay it forward

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Quake 2 Install

Quote Originally Posted by reset3x View Post
    Try
    Code:
    sudo cp /media/cdrom0/Install/Data/baseq2/*.pak /usr/lib/games/quake2/baseq2
    Thanks was aware of terminal command but hate using it (legacy of years of Windows and MAc use i guess). I prefer to logon as root and click and paste. Solved it by altering system > preferences> removable drives and media option.

I've got the three Quake 2 mission packs as well. But adding the first and renaming it from pak0pak to pak1pak caused a crash. is there any way to load these in and select whjch one to run?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks was aware of terminal command but hate using it (legacy of years of Windows and MAc use i guess). I prefer to logon as root and click and paste. Solved it by altering system > preferences> removable drives and media option.

I've got the three Quake 2 mission packs as well. But adding the first and renaming it from pak0pak to pak1pak caused a crash. is there any way to load these in and select whjch one to run?
    Drill to the bottom of this page: http://webpages.onvoy.com/bobz/howto/Quake-HOWTO-3.html
    pay it forward

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by reset3x View Post
    Tried this but the mission packs don't load - only the default Quake 2.

I had to modify the command to

./quake2.real +set game xatrix [or rogue]

to get anything to happen but to no avail - any idea as to why this is happening please?

Beans

Just use wine for Quake2 it runs very very well under wine, the default engine from repo sucks and there are many problems with Quake2 on linux from my experience.
    Ubuntu Corner - My personal Ubuntu based blog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoTurbo View Post
    Just use wine for Quake2 it runs very very well under wine, the default engine from repo sucks and there are many problems with Quake2 on linux from my experience.
    Well, it is not a great idea after all.

Why using Wine when with synaptic you can have a better version of Quake 2 engine ?
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast