Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

HEEEELP

I tried this, and it has successfully fried my nvidia graphics, so now it's not only not fixed the problem but I have now lost openGL rendering, which was working.

I have:

AMD64, Gutsy, and an FX5200. I have been trying to get Cedega going, but the Cedega tests came up saying 3D acceleration wasn't working, but everything else was. My screen does not display the Nvidia splash.

I followed the instructions here.

Now nothing is working. I have to boot through something that comes up low resolution mode, and wants to set my screen to Plug and Play, by graphics card to VESA. I change it to nvidia and IBM screen, and it brings up the login.

I tried going back to the nvidia-glx-new, but it's there. Tried enabling it on the restricted drivers, but can't seem to get the system back to where it was either.

Tried reinstalling kernel
    Tried reinstalling nvidia-glx-new
    No change, I have the same problem
    Last edited by KiwiDalang; December 7th, 2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Tried a couple more things

Beans

Tried some new things today, and it's back to where I started at least:

Did the Draugen 32 bit libraries thing first.

Ran the latest nvidia driver install, When it asked whether I wanted to try to download a kernel interface I said no this time. Then said yes to the 32bit libraries. Now have OpenGL back, and glxgears runs again.

Beans

I spoke far too soon. The system won't boot into the splash login.

At the moment my workaround is boot it. It comes up black screen with a box saying my hardware can't be detected and has to be set up manually.
    I do so, but use the nv driver as it is the only one offered.
    That gets me into the login and gdm then I have to
    Ctrl-Alt-F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    cd /etc/X11
    sudo cp xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

from which it seems to work fine until I have to reboot, at which it all happens all over again.

Beans

I have a similar problem. After installing the nvidia driver via the console with the "sudo sh NVIDIA-..." command. I would make the necessary adjustments to the xorg.conf file. Then when I reboot, It would not load normally. I would get this black screen with a dialogue box saying that the hardware or the driver wasn't detected. And I would have to revert to the old "nv" driver (not the restricted one) that's default on ubuntu.

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Hi,

Has anyone got drivers working for the NVIDIA 9600GT? I have followed the described procedure with the 171.06 driver, just as I have with previous cards but I keep getting a "low resolution" dialog after "successful" installation.

I also upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 as someone on a NVIDIA forum suggested. Ubuntu 8.04 still does not detect my card. I have vesa drivers working on a single monitor at 1680x1050 but it is very annoying that I can't use my dual monitors.

Please let there be a solution!

Thanks,
    James.

P.S. Using 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnewell View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone got drivers working for the NVIDIA 9600GT? I have followed the described procedure with the 171.06 driver, just as I have with previous cards but I keep getting a "low resolution" dialog after "successful" installation.

I also upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 as someone on a NVIDIA forum suggested. Ubuntu 8.04 still does not detect my card. I have vesa drivers working on a single monitor at 1680x1050 but it is very annoying that I can't use my dual monitors.

Please let there be a solution!

Thanks,
    James.

P.S. Using 64bit
    I'm running a 9600GT on the 171.06 drivers. It can be a pain to get to work but once you figure it out its not too bad. This thread has how I got mine working http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=9600gt
    post 37
    also make sure you have the 64 bit driver ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/171.06/

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

I just installed the 9600gt and I have serious problems.

dual boot xp/kubuntu 8.04 64 bit
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-171.06-pkg2.run

First I installed the drivers in adept. That did nothing. I stopped kdm to install the above driver and then it wouldn't start again. I rebooted and it won't start. All I get is a black screen that flashes to a somewhat lighter screen with the cursor and then to black again. It just stays that way. Flipping back and forth. It doesn't even get to the login screen.

While I can manage to do these things I don't know enough to know why I get the results I get. Sigh. Very frustrating.

-pb

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Ok. I found another thread that said that the 171.05 driver worked for the 9600gt so I tried installing that one after a recover boot. No luck. Same problem.

Other things I can add that might help.

In the installation process it asks if it should install the 32 bit OpenGL libraries. I hit yes. I have no idea if that was a bad plan.

At the end it says something like: "Error: Unable to perform the runtime configuration check library 'libGL.so.1'. Assuming successful"

Apparently not. I had to run recovery mode yet again.

And my next question: why the hell is the card fan on all the time? In Winsucks it stops and starts like normal. I assume it the driver that would regulate that?

-pb (awfully near tantrum)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ok, can u first walk me through how u tried installing the 171.06 drivers. sounds like because u are used some other driver first, there might be a conflict. oh, and i install the 32 bit libraries so that shouldnt be a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

You guys should try the beta 173.08 Nvidia drivers. They work well for my 9600GT

Running hardy 64-bit. These instructions are similar to what I did: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=796898

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast