Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Hello,
    NO GO!
    There is no bios switch for the onboard video , so I followed your directions. To make the story short, when I rebooted I got a blue screen with a white window saying "The X Server is now diabled. Resrt GDM when it is configured correctly"
    Now what? All I have is command line interface!
    Thanks
    Coz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cosimo
    Hello,
    NO GO!
    There is no bios switch for the onboard video , so I followed your directions. To make the story short, when I rebooted I got a blue screen with a white window saying "The X Server is now diabled. Resrt GDM when it is configured correctly"
    Now what? All I have is command line interface!
    Thanks
    Coz
    From the command line:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

When it asks you about your graphic card select it manually (don't do autodetect) SELECT YOUR PREVIOUS CARD (not the nvidia one).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    ctl-alt-f1 (so as to get to the command line)

Alberto
    Um, you really really really ought to put a warning right next to that telling people who don't know any better that ctl-alt-f1 is going to put them out of this screen, and into the command line, not in a windowed terminal, but IN THE COMMAND LINE, AS IN A BLACK SCREEN, NO GUI, no way back if they didn't already know what to do following that line up there. I did that and couldn't get back to xserver. restart did no good, nothing did.

So if you put anything like that, please warn people about what is going to happen to them, thank you. (you know us noobs are swarming the Earth, as a matter of fact there's one coming to a theater near you!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster
    Um, you really really really ought to put a warning right next to that telling people who don't know any better that ctl-alt-f1 is going to put them out of this screen, and into the command line, not in a windowed terminal, but IN THE COMMAND LINE, AS IN A BLACK SCREEN, NO GUI, no way back if they didn't already know what to do following that line up there. I did that and couldn't get back to xserver. restart did no good, nothing did.

So if you put anything like that, please warn people about what is going to happen to them, thank you. (you know us noobs are swarming the Earth, as a matter of fact there's one coming to a theater near you!)
    Ok, I'll be more precise in my descriptions. Thanks for the advice.

BTW you can get back to the GUI (some time ago I switched 4 times subsequently from the GUI to the command line and vice versa)
    Last edited by tseliot; October 11th, 2005 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Ok, I want to install the latest nVidia drivers, but I have a few quick questions.

1. This one my be stupid, but how do I uninstall the nvidia-glx? Just use apt-get uninstall I assume?

2. Does this require a kernel recompile? I want to know so I can be prepared to reconfigure my wireless ethernet drivers if I screw with the kernel.

Thanks!!

Beans

Ok, I successfully installed the 7676 drivers with this. By far the easiest linux drivers to install so far

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro

!!! I'm such a noob. I posted that, but forgot to print out the instructions at work today and bring them home. (printers? yeah, I got printers out the wazoo, I just ain't got no stinkin' ink, lol)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

the last config line, for those that are paranoid n00bs (as myself) and panic when it says failed and start thinking they've broken something.... it's
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Thanks for the Howto! I got nearly 2000fps from glxgears on my laptop (using 7667 as got a GeForce Go 6200 turbocrack and bleeding bleeding edge crap is starting to get annoying when I want to do more than tinker with my puter.
    I,Omnivore! Tremble before me, all ye who may be tasty
    Also, Hasslehof Supporter #13851
    Linux User #411900

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    the last config line, for those that are paranoid n00bs (as myself) and panic when it says failed and start thinking they've broken something.... it's
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Thanks for the Howto! I got nearly 2000fps from glxgears on my laptop (using 7667 as got a GeForce Go 6200 turbocrack and bleeding bleeding edge crap is starting to get annoying when I want to do more than tinker with my puter.
    I've fixed it, thanks

Beans
    Distro

So, ah, how does this relate to Breezy? Same, different, blow stuff up if attempted?

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast