Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    .. in my case "nv" drivers= screen corruption, nvidia drivers (the ones you can install following Ubuntu Starter Guide) =black screen, no Xorg...
    could you plz explain me (=noob) how to get the display driver working after installing Ubuntu (Hoary). At the moment Xserver should start I get black screen, though I can get in the shell with ctrl alt f1.
    I have MSI Neo4 Nforce4 Platinum board with Nvidia 6800gt vga

tx

edit -> forget it, I changed in xorg.conf driver from NV to Vesa, and now I have visuals
    Last edited by Zillion; September 11th, 2005 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

i've just got a new computer with a nvidia geforce go6200 chip. i've done everything exactly as specified in this thread, yet i'm still getting the dreaded blackout. and with ubuntu's "nv" driver x does start, but gnome hangs on startup (it plays the startup sound after login, the mouse pointer works, but no splash, no desktop, nothing, just a brown screen).

in short i just can't run ubuntu any more! the device and module sections of my xorg.conf are exactly the same as those on tseliot's first post. i'm trying with the 7667 driver + stock hoary kernel, and there were no errors in the driver installation.

any help appreciated.

Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    i've just got a new computer with a nvidia geforce go6200 chip. i've done everything exactly as specified in this thread, yet i'm still getting the dreaded blackout. and with ubuntu's "nv" driver x does start, but gnome hangs on startup (it plays the startup sound after login, the mouse pointer works, but no splash, no desktop, nothing, just a brown screen).

in short i just can't run ubuntu any more! the device and module sections of my xorg.conf are exactly the same as those on tseliot's first post. i'm trying with the 7667 driver + stock hoary kernel, and there were no errors in the driver installation.

any help appreciated.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that card. However I can recommend you to make a search in the nvidia forum (you can follow the link at the end of the 1st page of my guide) or start a new thread in there and ask for help. The (nvidia) developers of the drivers can help you in there.

Beans

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you with the file (working on my C++)

Here is the backup and current xorg.conf file I am using.

If there is anything else you need please ask, I would love to have 3d support.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I used this guide to help me install my nvidia drivers about 3 weeks ago. Worked great.

After this last Ubuntu Update, my system wouldn't start X. I would get the nvidia splash then it would crash into commandline. After some digging I found that the update required me to manually change "Keyboard" to "kbd" and "nvidia" to "nv" in order to startX.

I was wondering...If i re-install these drivers again(following the same instructions), would it b0rk on start up again?

I'd leave it "nv" except I can't play UT2004 or any game for that matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linkunderscore
    I used this guide to help me install my nvidia drivers about 3 weeks ago. Worked great.

After this last Ubuntu Update, my system wouldn't start X. I would get the nvidia splash then it would crash into commandline. After some digging I found that the update required me to manually change "Keyboard" to "kbd" and "nvidia" to "nv" in order to startX.

I was wondering...If i re-install these drivers again(following the same instructions), would it b0rk on start up again?

I'd leave it "nv" except I can't play UT2004 or any game for that matter.
    Follow my guide again and reinstall the drivers, it will work (probably the update upgraded your kernel)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheTK421
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you with the file (working on my C++)

Here is the backup and current xorg.conf file I am using.

If there is anything else you need please ask, I would love to have 3d support.
    Follow my guide again and add the lines in red to your xorg.conf (see the example below)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "NvAGP" "0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "Off"

If this doesn't work you can try to add the other lines as shown in point 4 of the problems section of my guide.

Tell me if it works

Beans

just a quick note on the 32bit compatibility libraries for x86_64: you can install them with this hack:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /emul/ia32-linux/usr/
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
    if /usr/lib32 does not exist, you need to do this

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6
    without which the opengl compat libs probably won't be much use anyway

there are more 32bit libs as well. check synaptic

--martin

edited for clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by draugen
    just a quick note on the 32bit compatibility libraries for x86_64: you can install them with this hack:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /emul/ia32-linux/usr/
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
    if /usr/lib32 does not exist, you need to do this

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6
    without which the opengl compat libs probably won't be much use anyway

there are more 32bit libs as well. check synaptic

--martin

edited for clarity
    I can't try it (I'm running Ubuntu 32bit in this period) but I can add it to my guide later (I'm studying for an exam).

Thanks for the tip!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    I can't try it (I'm running Ubuntu 32bit in this period) but I can add it to my guide later (I'm studying for an exam).

Thanks for the tip!
    happy to help!

oh... one thing. you probably need to break up the mkdir command:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /emul
    sudo mkdir /emul/ia32-linux
    sudo mkdir /emul/ia32-linux/usr

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast