Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Ahh yes, okay, I see that now. thanks...

Beans

To make the drivers work, I need to disabled this modules:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

and find the line:
    DISABLED_MODULES=""

replace it with:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

I don't know why this instruction are not in the howto?

Thanks thought for you hard work tseliot !

Beans

I just destroyed my Installation

I am running Fiesty Fawn 7.04 and the following How To: caused my Nvidia Driver not to match what the Kernel states.

I am now stuck with no gdm

HELP. I am a Linux Newbie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

okay, I followed along with all these instructions, I even went and looked for that so called pkg2.run file, couldn't find it, all I found was pkg1, it didn't run, some error halfway through when compiling kernel...

I did the last part about changing the conf file and restarted my gdm and an nvidia logo came up and the whole system freaked for a sec, then the login screen came up, I logged in, and there was a warning about ubuntu using a restricted driver, then I installed the nvidia-settings apt and everything, did the desktop file as you said and restarted...

I got an error, x server couldn't be started and the text was all garbled...I've tried this with about 5 different drivers (x86_64_1.0_7667_pkg2, x86_1.0_7667_pkg1, x86_1.0_9755_pkg1) and nothing is working...

can an nVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX handle beryl or desktop effects, etc? Cause it doesn't seem to want to work, I've already asked but it seems to work for everyone else and not me...it's a clean install, no fancy new recompiled kernel or anything, just a fresh install, please someone help me out with this...I can't get this to work with anything...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

When I wanted to compile the modules for a Breezy kernel in Hoary I had to use gcc 3.4. If you want to compile them for a Hoary kernel in Breezy you should use the gcc with which Hoary kernel are usually compiled.

How do we know which version that kernel are usually compiled

Beans

Hey guys, im kinda new to linux. Not totally new but pretty new, and im having difficulty installing these drivers. Everytime i try to install them, it tells me it cant install them and asks are they binary. Im running x64 bit breezy,and i dled the Linux AMD64/EM64T drivers, and im wondering if i shoudl try a different one? any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello.

I have already set up the nvidia driver on my own and unfortunately I am affected by the infamous missing title bar. I followed google to a site which give a solution: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10...sing-titlebar/

That works, but I can't seem to set my monitor to the resolution I prefer (1280x1024@85Hz) without it exhibiting the bug again.

Here's a thread I started with more details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3651725

You'll find my xorg.conf there, which I used in Dapper but which seems to no longer work.

Thanks for looking.

Beans

Hi. I have just built a 64biy Gutsy PC. I changed some of the desktop preferences and the system recommended I install the latest drivers for the NVidia card (5200). I said yes, it downloaded and installed then said must reboot. I rebooted, now, nothing. Black screen. Not even the bios splash from the card, let alone the mobo. Can't even enter mobo setup. Any suggestions?

Thanks but no need. I have worked out that the monitor I was using failed at exactly the moment of the reboot: The PC started again but nothing on the screen because the screen was dead where it had been working 30 seconds before. Should I feel unlucky?
    Last edited by symbo978; November 18th, 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    I have already set up the nvidia driver on my own and unfortunately I am affected by the infamous missing title bar. I followed google to a site which give a solution: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10...sing-titlebar/
    I had the same problem, which the solution at the above site fixed for a while.. But then after a restart days later, my screen resolution had changed dramatically. After changing it back, the menu bars had disappeared again. Now when i save /etc/X11/xorg.conf I get the Following error:

"You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

Any clue on how to solve this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by junner18 View Post
    I had the same problem, which the solution at the above site fixed for a while.. But then after a restart days later, my screen resolution had changed dramatically. After changing it back, the menu bars had disappeared again. Now when i save /etc/X11/xorg.conf I get the Following error:

"You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

Any clue on how to solve this?
    Problem seems to have solved itself. Thanks.

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast