Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by DariusTriplet
    Hey,

I'm running Hoary, and tried to install the newest drivers. I was able to install without a problem, but upon startup, X crashes. I checked the X log, and it stated that it couldn't load the Nvidia kernel modules. The strange part is, according to dmesg, the modules -did- load.

I cannot post dmesg, X log, or the install log at the moment, as I'm posting this via Links. If it's possible to copy/paste the text into here, though, I'll see what I can do about posting those.

Thanks in advance!
    1) What's the model of your graphic card?
    2) Can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    1) What's the model of your graphic card?
    2) Can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    1) Fx5600

2) (All irrelevant information, such as InputDevice, have been removed for this post)

Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    # Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV31 [GeForce FX 5600]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

Beans

OK... I've got a problem.

I followed your guide (which is excellent, btw), tseliot,and got my nvidia drivers installed and running fine (or so I thought).
    I have been using them for the last week or so with no trouble, but I hadn't done any 3d stuff yet.

Today I installed the game Enemy Territory, and it would load, but was very slow. I went ingame and it would play at 15-30fps and all the textures/graphics were very low quality. My machine is a 3000+ Athlon 64 paired with a GeForce 6800 GT, so obviously something was wrong with my software.

I then noticed that my OpenGL screensavers were just black in preview, and would not start when I tried to test them. Finnaly, I ran glxgears and the results are pitiful, 14fps. Yes, 14fps glxgears, on a brand spankin' new system that plays Half Life 2 at 100+ FPS under Winblows.

So, I am thinking something is wrong with my OpenGL drivers. I am very new to Linux, only a week or so, but I'm enjoying it despite all the little problems I've come across.
    Normally I'd spend hours crawling around on Google to figure this out, but I see you are a helpful guy who knows this stuff pretty well, so I thought I'd ask...
    What the heck is going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DariusTriplet
    1) Fx5600

2) (All irrelevant information, such as InputDevice, have been removed for this post)

Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    # Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV31 [GeForce FX 5600]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection
    Try point 4 in the problem section of my guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie
    OK... I've got a problem.

I followed your guide (which is excellent, btw), tseliot,and got my nvidia drivers installed and running fine (or so I thought).
    I have been using them for the last week or so with no trouble, but I hadn't done any 3d stuff yet.

Today I installed the game Enemy Territory, and it would load, but was very slow. I went ingame and it would play at 15-30fps and all the textures/graphics were very low quality. My machine is a 3000+ Athlon 64 paired with a GeForce 6800 GT, so obviously something was wrong with my software.

I then noticed that my OpenGL screensavers were just black in preview, and would not start when I tried to test them. Finnaly, I ran glxgears and the results are pitiful, 14fps. Yes, 14fps glxgears, on a brand spankin' new system that plays Half Life 2 at 100+ FPS under Winblows.

So, I am thinking something is wrong with my OpenGL drivers. I am very new to Linux, only a week or so, but I'm enjoying it despite all the little problems I've come across.
    Normally I'd spend hours crawling around on Google to figure this out, but I see you are a helpful guy who knows this stuff pretty well, so I thought I'd ask...
    What the heck is going on?
    Can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Beans

Sure, here ya go, attached to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sure, here ya go, attached to this post.
    Which driver version did you install? (7667, 7676,etc.)

Beans

I installed 7676. I know now that you recommend that folks use 7667 unless they have a 7800, but somehow I didn't remember that when getting the drivers.

Still though, could the 7676 drivers really be causing all the trouble I'm having? If you think that's the case, I could do a driver reinstall I suppose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I installed 7676. I know now that you recommend that folks use 7667 unless they have a 7800, but somehow I didn't remember that when getting the drivers.

Still though, could the 7676 drivers really be causing all the trouble I'm having? If you think that's the case, I could do a driver reinstall I suppose.
    I think it's worth a try (use 7667).

Beans

Disaster help.
    I installed the kernel 2.6.11 with synaptic ,everything ok . Reboot and when goew to Desktop freezes.Reboot the same.Reboot with the old kernel everything ok.

I follow your how to to install nvidia drivers.When i give sudo sh Nvidia ..... it says somethind about a mising modules and compiles it .Everything ok it says.I give sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start and canot load xserver .Black screen.
    Reboot in command line. I type sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see what it says
    and get

GK-warning ** : cannot open display
    every log file i try open the same
    Disaster (not install ubuntu again) i cnt get grafical gui .
    p.s. how it is posible to install kernrl form synaptic and not working ?

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast