Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connection)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Hi odwyerda,

I think you've found a package that, upon installation, makes some download. If you don't have an internet connection at the time, the installation will fail and the package will be broken.

I didn't know this issue with that package, so it's another one that must be blacklisted if you want to use Ubuntu offline.

I've «googled» and found this thread: [SOLVED] dpkg / bcm43xx-fwcutter Error. I hope it works for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

OMG!

This is what I was looking for so many time

But I wont recieve the email with the instructions to activate the account.

Any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Make sure that you supply the correct email when you set up an account. My first time, I accidentally added an extra character at the end of my address, and I could not activate the account because of this.

@epimeteo: Possibly a "verify e-mail" box during account setup?

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Yeah!

I got the activation e-mail.

I followed the tutorial to upgrade ubuntu, and worked fine.

Download debs, update target, update status back to website. but now I want to download xine, xmms, gstreamer

And this is the message that sends me:

Code:
    Sorry, but apt-get returned the following error (edit the locale in your account to have the error message in English or in another language of your choice):

E: No se pudo encontrar el paquete gstreamer (Could not find the package gstreamer)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That would be because there are no packages by that name.

Try doing a search for "gstreamer" on http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    (scroll down past the release links)

This link points to the results under hardy:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...dy&section=all

ps - I frequent http://packages.ubuntu.com/ for this reason. I find the search feature rather helpful for finding the packages that I need.
    Last edited by jenkinbr; May 1st, 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Red face Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinbr View Post
    That would be because there are no packages by that name.

Try doing a search for "gstreamer" on http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    (scroll down past the release links)

This link points to the results under hardy:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...dy&section=all

ps - I frequent http://packages.ubuntu.com/ for this reason. I find the search feature rather helpful for finding the packages that I need.
    I searched for gstreamer in http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and I have all the repos enabled in my account.

Based on that I think that a search for gstreamer* should give all the packets starting with gstreamer.

After that I tried to install amarok and everything whent right until I intalled the packets in the offline ubuntu and notice that some packets needed like amarok-engine were missed.

I opened the bash file copied from the site, and amarok-engine was missed too.

Need help
    TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I haven't tried doing a wildcard search using nonetdebs - let me know if that works for you. It would save a lot of space on the "sudo apt-get " line, which only allows 255 characters.

As for missing dependencies, that remindes me - I had that happen the other day. When I ran synaptic with my freshly created apt repo disk created using aptoncd, I tried marking the metapackage provided, but couln't because not all dependancies were satisfied. turns out, I was missing package 'm4', so I could not install libtool, autoconf, among others.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinbr View Post
    I haven't tried doing a wildcard search using nonetdebs - let me know if that works for you. It would save a lot of space on the "sudo apt-get " line, which only allows 255 characters.
    Wildcard search works.

IMHO I think this an aspect that shoud be improved. Maybe should be some kind of check list, or show software by application like in synaptic. Tthis way you can select the name of the mayor application like xine and the query will return all debs needed for installing xine.

BTW the wildcard search return ALL debs with gstreamer* in the name. This could be reduce if you restrict the repos to search.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Hi,

sorry for loosing this discussion, but I've been busy. Can't add much more to what it's been said, but to confirm what jenkinbr suggested: to use http://packages.ubuntu.com/ to search packages, although a new "apt-get update" feature is available now. It's not simple, though.

First, the news. I'm not hosting the website anymore. The website is now kindly hosted by unixpod.com at http://nonetdebs.unixpod.com. The registration mail will come from there, obviously. You still can use http://nonetdebs.homeip.net. DynDNS will redirect you to unixpod.com.

I've managed to finally integrate drupal, apt-get as normal user and nonetdebs code (90% redone, so please say if something is broken). Now the site is more quick and its use is more similar to the real use of apt-get.

There are several improvements, and the "apt-get update" one is the most important, as it finally breaks the isolation of the offline apt-get system. Based in this comment I've found while browsing, I've made nonetdebs get those files for you even if you don't have the status file in your account. I think it's very useful.

Now you can save what is downloaded by apt-get when you run "apt-get update" with the selected repositories. The offline apt-get system will know what is available on the repositories! You will be able to browse Synaptic as if you where online. And Synaptic can create download scripts with this. Also, "apt-get -qq --print-uris" will work offline.

"apt-get update", sources.list visible, several APT lines in sources.list and also the execution of "dpkg -l" if a package is not listed and the user knows it isn't installed will help (I hope) to clarify this mysterious "amarok" problem. Vitesse, when you can, please say what you see if you try to install it again, please.

I hope to ear some feedback on this major changes.

nonetdebs reloaded at unixpod

There have been a major change in nonetdebs website.

New host
    Bad news for old users
    New features
    apt-get update and var_lib_apt_lists.tar.bz2

New host

Now the website is hosted at unixpod.com - http://unixpod.com/about/. The website will be accessible with the same name, but hosted there. The email will come from there.

Thank you very much, unixpod.com administrators and to the IRC chanel #unixpod in freenode.

This new host (a QEMU virtual machine - gutsy server - running in my personal and only computer was the previous one), should have a much better connection than mine.

There is a space limit, so now I'm trucating old status files. As now the website is hosted by someone else than me, please don't abuse it. Now there are limits to how much "apt-get" commands you can run. Don't keep clicking to make the page render, wait. It's useless to keep clicking now, it will be logged and you'll get banned. If apt-get is taking too long, select a Ubuntu mirror (in the repositories tab). If you want to see the last apt-get command you executed again, select aptget > Last apt-get output.

The bad news for old users

If you didn't login the last 30 days, chances are that your status file was truncated (zero bytes size). This will be normal procedure from now on. And will get worst because of disk space limit. The disk space is very limited in the new host, so I might have to truncate files very often, be prepared and always have your latest status file with you when you use nonetdebs).

Anyway, as it is recommended to always use the latest status file, it shouldn't be a problem, unless you don't have it at the moment. If you don't have the status file ATM, you still can try the new "apt-get update" feature, see bellow.

Now you have to run "apt-get update" yourself if you change repositories, just like in a connected computer.

No more locale support (sorry, but the host don't have them). All output will be in english from now on.

The new features

Now you can see much more. You will be able to
    - select a mirror (if ubuntu server is loaded, mirrors are an option now);
    - actually see the sources.list file you're using;
    - add multiple APT lines to the file;
    - see the output of apt-get update;
    - see the last request you made without running apt-get again (no wait);
    - run "apt-get source" to download the source files of a package;
    - get the files that apt-get downloads when you run "apt-get update" so you can browse available packages that are in your selected repositories in the target computer.

apt-get update and var_lib_apt_lists.tar.bz2

About "apt-get update". When you run "apt-get update" on the website, you have a checkbox to say that you want to download the files that are saved by apt-get in /var/lib/apt/lists/ directory. In this directory apt-get saves the Packages.gz files that are on the repositories you selected.

These files say to apt-get which packages are available in the repository and where to find it in the repository. When you remove someting in sources.list file, apt-get deletes the file from that repository. When you add a new line in sources.list, a new file is downloaded. apt-get only keeps the repositories that are in the sources.list file. All repositories files that are in /var/lib/apt/lists/ directory but aren't in sources.list are deleted when you run "apt-get update".

It is important to know this because if you don't change sources.list as it was when you executed "apt-get update" here in the website, the -updates and -security repositories (which are commented by default if your system was never online) will never be available in the target, because the sources.list file don't have them. Each time you'll extract the file and run "apt-get update" without the new repositories in the sources.list file, apt-get will delete them.

So, save a copy of the sources.list file you have here in the website. That way you can edit and update the target's sources.list too. You can see the sources.list file that was used in the "Last apt-get output" page (if you use Windows, you will have to convert the file from DOS/Windows format or edit the file by hand).

Once you downloaded the file and got to the target computer, extract the var_lib_apt_lists.tar.bz2 file, edit your sources.list file and really run "apt-get update" there. Then you will be able to see all the available packages in the selected repositories (new and upgrades) using apt-cache, Synaptic and in the update-manager.
    You still can't download them, but you can run "apt-get -qq --print-uris" yourself or create a download script in Synaptic. You still will need a linux system to run it. Maybe you can use wget for windows to run it from Windows (not tested). Anyway you still can use nonetdebs to list them, if you upload the status file.

To extract the file in the target:

sudo tar -xvjf var_lib_apt_lists.tar.bz2 -C /

In the near future I will try to document all this in a clearer way.
    Last edited by ruibernardo; May 8th, 2008 at 05:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Vitesse, sorry for this late reply, I've just look at your amarok problem.

- Based on your status file you don't have amarok installed.
    - I've found a funny thing about amarok: apt-get will download the same packages for "amarok" or for "amarok-engine" or "amarok-engines". "amarok-engine", the singular, is a virtual package that provides "amarok-xine".
    - I tried just "amarok" and nonetdebs did list 3 packages to download (confirms that it isn't installed in that status file).

When you ran the install script, did it gave any errors? Like missing file or file not found? There could be a problem in the package filenames, like packages with a percent signal in the file name. If it happened, the script may fail to find the package, but I'm not sure.

Can you confirm?

I don't want to be boring, but aptoncd should be used to install the packages. The script is to be used only if you STILL don't have aptoncd installed (or dpkg-scanpackages, installed by dpkg-dev) or another tool to create a local repository with your downloaded packages.

Even if there is a problem with the packages filenames (happens depending on the browser your using, I think), aptoncd will live with that very well. It will list and install amarok anyway. You even could rename the file amarok-xine_1.4.9.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb to this_is_evil_2.6.3-22zzz_amd64.deb. aptoncd wouldn't care. It will read the control file inside the package and find out what it installs (amarok in this case).

So I recommend to just use the script to install "aptoncd" (or "dpkg-dev"), then use the new status file to download what you want and install them with aptoncd.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast