Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Ubuntu Gutsy on Wubi (Alpha)!!!

Beans

Re: Announcement: Ubuntu Gutsy on Wubi (Alpha)!!!

Testing it now after a fresh reinstallation of Windows XP. I'll just edit this post when I'm on Ubuntu

Well, that didn't work... xD I don't exactly remember what the error said, but I'll write it down next time I try it (maybe tomorrow.)
    Last edited by bnmjosh; December 1st, 2007 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ago, Thanks for the development of Wubi. So let me get this right:

1. Download the Wubu installer (exe file) (there are 2 of them one for 7.04 and one in alpha 7.10 build 38x??; download to a folder in Windows (XP or Vista). In this case I will use the alpha 7.10 version.
    2. I have an Ubuntu desktop iso 7.10 already downloaded on my hard drive--copy this to the same folder Wubi.exe setup was downloaded.
    3. Disconnect from the internet (remove ethernet cable, or switch wifi signal off)--is this necessary??
    4. Fireup the wubi exe ad setup as required in the gui.
    5. Let it pick-up the ubuntu iso in the same folder
    6. Complete the installation.
    7. Reboot iinto Ubuntu (at the bootup screen).
    8. Hopefully, all is well and it will run ubuntu fine? unless, it need installation of restricted graphics drivers like in my case (ATI).

Is this what I need to do? Am I missing something? Thanks
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Does anyone check wubi alpha 7.10 with Kubuntu.

Beans

Okay this is what happens when I try to install using Wubi-7.10-alpha-rev383:

Console comes up with:

[ 501.490898] Buffer I/O error on device fd0. logical block 0

It repeats that a few times with the first 3 numbers changing a little, 530 was the next in line. Then my computer crashed... (It was not because of Wubi/Ubuntu though...)

Any help on fixing the error?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    Ago, Thanks for the development of Wubi. So let me get this right:

1. Download the Wubu installer (exe file) (there are 2 of them one for 7.04 and one in alpha 7.10 build 38x??; download to a folder in Windows (XP or Vista). In this case I will use the alpha 7.10 version.
    2. I have an Ubuntu desktop iso 7.10 already downloaded on my hard drive--copy this to the same folder Wubi.exe setup was downloaded.
    3. Disconnect from the internet (remove ethernet cable, or switch wifi signal off)--is this necessary??
    4. Fireup the wubi exe ad setup as required in the gui.
    5. Let it pick-up the ubuntu iso in the same folder
    6. Complete the installation.
    7. Reboot iinto Ubuntu (at the bootup screen).
    8. Hopefully, all is well and it will run ubuntu fine? unless, it need installation of restricted graphics drivers like in my case (ATI).

Is this what I need to do? Am I missing something? Thanks
    Yep except that there is no need to disconnect from internet, if you use 7.10 DESKTOP ISO you need the wubi-7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool I think I will download the iso first from my local mirror first; (i noticed if the iso is not in the same folder as wubi.exe, then wubu-exe connects to the internet (I am not sure where the download is coming from (mirror??)

Anyway, thanks for the development again. BTW, when is the official release date for the 7.10?
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans

Can we at least get an idea of when the sata fix will be out? This wait is driving me crazy!!

Beans

That requires an 2.6.24 kernel, which makes it quite unlikely for 7.10, since 2.6.24 is not out yet and by the time it is out we might just as well move forward to wubi 8.04. If you can install 7.10, you can install the 2.6.24 kernel manually, that should fix the issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    That requires an 2.6.24 kernel, which makes it quite unlikely for 7.10, since 2.6.24 is not out yet and by the time it is out we might just as well move forward to wubi 8.04. If you can install 7.10, you can install the 2.6.24 kernel manually, that should fix the issues.
    I'm assuming 6.04 had this? 6.04 installed flawlessly on my sata drive

Beans

The kernel that shipped with Ubuntu 7.04 (I assume that is what you mean) was ok, the one in 7.10 has issues with loopfiles, hopefully 8.04 will be good again...

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast