Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Distros

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Other Distros

I know we all use Ubuntu, but do any of you use anything else? I run my servers at work on Debian, because of it's famed stability. I'm also working with CentOS, because most of the datacenters around here run that or an RPM-based distro.
    Registered Linux User #455695

Michigan Ubuntu LoCo Member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Other Distros

I have Damn Small running on a older laptop of mine, and it works like a charm. I do use Fedora a bit at school, also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never used DSL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I like it because it allows me to run a modern OS on a system that could otherwise only handle windows 98. It doesn't do power management as well as some of the other distros, but it's not that big of a deal since the laptop I put it on generally doesn't get unplugged much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Who wouldn't want to run the wonderful glory that was windows 98? =P

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I still like tinkering with them all. To my wife's dismay, I like to install and test different linux flavors. I just downloaded PCLinux & CentOS to play with over the weekend.

But I always come back to the Xubuntu and will switch over to Fluxbuntu, once it's released.
    Thy soul shall find itself alone ‘Mid dark thoughts of gray tombstone – Not one, of all the crowd, to pry Into thine hour of secrecy. ~Poe

Ubuntu User # 8993 - Linux User # 433735

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Oooh, there's gonna be a Ubuntu with Fluxbox natively installed? I've been thinking about running fluxbox/openbox and that would be a cure for my lazyness

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

Yup.. I can't wait... Eye candy is kool and all, but I like the more minimalistic approach to DE's.

http://fluxbuntu.org/
    Thy soul shall find itself alone ‘Mid dark thoughts of gray tombstone – Not one, of all the crowd, to pry Into thine hour of secrecy. ~Poe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm with you there. I'll probably give KDE4 a try when it comes out but I prefer the lightweight GUIs

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I run xfce4 now. I don't have any issue with it, but I've used Fluxbox/BlackBox before and miss it.

The site's down for the moment (obviously), but one that they state about Fluxbuntu, is that it isn't just Ubuntu-Server with Fluxbox. They actually are trying to slim everything down and not load anything that isn't a necessity.

That's another reason I'm looking at it. As it is, I do a command line install and run a small script to install all the appz I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast