Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me How Good KDE Can Look!

Beans

Show Me How Good KDE Can Look!

My apologies in advance if this is a repeat thread, I couldn't find an easily comparable one.

Anyway, here's the deal: I've been playing around with KDE lately, after using primarily GNOME and XFCE in my time with Ubuntu. I'm generally facing a fair bit of option-overload, but I'll get used to it.

What I'm NOT getting used to, though, is how UGLY all the KDE themes seem to be. Like, by and large, the themes (window decorations and kde themes alike) are just UGLIER then metacity/xfwm or gtk themes (I did find ONE kwin theme I loved [pureline], but the link was dead, and so was everything google found). And on top of that, I can't seem to get fonts to behave well with antialiasing, among other things.

Generally, I tend to most enjoy clean, minimal themes. I've liked a lot of Murrine GTK themes, as well as Aurora and the new Clearlooks engine. As far as window decorations, stuff like Carbonit, Clearlooks, StormCloud, etc.

Anyway. I'm not trying to start a flamewar, I'm just wondering where the sleek, minimal KDE themes are hiding. Show me how pretty it can be, just natively, KWIN+KDE Themes, no emerald or avant.

Oh, and if any of you dudes have extensively modified, awesome KDE desktops, I'd love to see them. I'm really just looking for inspirado, here.
    Last edited by sunexplodes; October 9th, 2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added somethin'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Show Me How Good KDE Can Look!

No wonder there hasn't been any replies

I'm an unabashed aesthete, and KDE's ugliness is the main reason why I don't use it. To be fair, you CAN make KDE look quite pretty if you to the effort... but that usually involves a lot of stuffing around. Gnome? Even if you just used Clearlooks and Tango, you'd be miles ahead of Plastik.

Beans

This is how I feel, too. But there's gotta be some stuff out there. I'm a total noob with KDE anyway, so I'm hoping some people have got some tips.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here's what my KDE looked like, circa October 2005.

A lot of it is just defaults. I've always thought it was pretty cool imo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can make KDE look pretty. Take a look at my desktop.

I'm using "Human for KDE" icons and standard KUbuntu theme with changed colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

This is mine in February before I stopped using KDE.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Hidden!

there is a klearlooks style in the repos and i'd suggest powder, or knifty for window decorations. and, of course, you can alter the colors however you wish. try the black + white icon set, too.

Beans

Oh man, I managed to track down Pureline. This is one LOVELY kwin theme. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I just have to get over my disdain for Konqueror and find a decent MPD frontend to replace Sonata, and we may just be in business.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sunexplodes View Post
    Oh man, I managed to track down Pureline. This is one LOVELY kwin theme. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I just have to get over my disdain for Konqueror and find a decent MPD frontend to replace Sonata, and we may just be in business.
    qmpd from qt-apps.org

Beans
    Hidden!

http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/

It looks like a cross between Vista and OS X but in a mostly positive way.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast