Page 14 of 98 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans

Re: How To: Troubleshoot your Wireless Network Connection - Connecting at Command Li

Could you be more specific? The lspci listing is in the linked post. What would help -- protocol from the terminal window? Log excerpts? There's precious little infornation in either Something else? I need some ideas in which direction to dig...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How To: Troubleshoot your Wireless Network Connection - Connecting at Command Li

To those having the "No DHCP Offers Received" problem. I was getting this message repeatedly no matter what I tried. I just randomly decided to experiment with the settings on my router and discovered that just switching from a pure 802.11g network to a mixed 802.11b/g network solved my issues instantly. Felt quite silly in that instant

Am using the Orinoco driver for my wireless card. Might be worth a try to play around with your router settings.

Btw KevDog, hidden SSID seems to work fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hidden ESSID is very sporadic, it works for some but not for others. Not sure why -- likely related to whatever driver you are using. Maybe someone should come up with a poll in a new thread to find what drivers work with hidden ESSID and what drivers do not? Could also by a router specific issue -- but I dont that!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Still having problems, but making progress. And yes, I am using a hidden ESSID, WPA2 and TKIP on a 3COM USB stick.

Have configured wpa_supplicant.conf for my setup by thinking about comments earlier in this thread.

file wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
    ssid="bmth_wireless"
    psk=13953c483e5d42339779f01317e83931b12e530f6ee541 6144da6185a89b499e
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=RSN
    pairwise=TKIP
    }

When I run through the list of commands this is what I get:
    peterm@peterm-Kdesktop:~$ sudo ifconfig eth1 down
    [sudo] password for peterm:
    peterm@peterm-Kdesktop:~$ sudo dhclient -r eth1
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:14:7c:66:b7:97
    Sending on LPF/eth1/00:14:7c:66:b7:97
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    peterm@peterm-Kdesktop:~$ sudo wpa_supplicant -w -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Trying to associate with 00:18:6e:ca:89:2c (SSID='bmth_wireless' freq=2462 MHz)
    ioctl[SIOCSIWFREQ]: Operation not permitted
    Association request to the driver failed
    Associated with 00:18:6e:ca:89:2c
    WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:18:6e:ca:89:2c [PTK=TKIP GTK=TKIP]
    CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:18:6e:ca:89:2c completed (auth) [id=0 id _str=]

Hung here so CTRL-C

CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received

The MAC address 3 lines back is the router, So that's what I mean by progress.

Any Ideas why it hangs at this point? Initially the association attempt fails, but then it happens.

When I put the Group parameter in the .conf file, the system did not like that.

I am wondering if for some reason it is having trouble at this point getting an IP address, as I am using DHCP.

Beans
    Distro

broadcast the essid.

Beans

I was able to connect to my wirless using the instruciton below, but how do I get those setting to hold? After a restart, I have to do it all over again.

sudo ifconfig <interface> down
    sudo dhclient -r <interface>
    sudo ifconfig <interface> up
    sudo iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID_IN_QUOTES"
    sudo iwconfig <interface> key HEX_KEY <<<-------- If using ASCII Equivalent, this is s:ASCII_KEY (please make note of the prefix s
    ****Additional Comand that may be needed -- sudo iwconfig <interface> key open <<<----See note below
    sudo iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
    sudo dhclient <interface>

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    broadcast the essid.
    When I checked, I was.

So, I don't know for how long I have been, but I am broadcasting. I am trying to keep reasonable documentation on what am doing, but I missed that.

Looks like you are trying to help multiple people on the same thread - Gets confusing? But I am also interested in the next guys solution.

Peter M.

Beans
    Distro

You just put the commands in a shell script -- make the file executable, and then add the file to your list of startup programs at boot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello ! May I ask permission to enter in this thread ?

I have a MacBook 2,1 with artheros AR5418 wireless card.
    With today updates I finally got this wireless card working but only with Security disable.

My router is a DI-624 and is possible to configure security from WEP-WPA-WPA2-WPA-AUTO

The problem is : I am newbee in wireless networking and don't know how to configure security in my home network. Can You help me ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mabovo; January 8th, 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    You just put the commands in a shell script -- make the file executable, and then add the file to your list of startup programs at boot.
    I'm still pretty new to Linux. I don't know how to make a shell script, make is executable or make it load on startup.

Page 14 of 98 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast