Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To: Troubleshoot your Wireless Network Connection - Connecting at Command Li

Allrighty! First off, Kevdog, awesome tutorial man as you know it is greatly appreciated. First, I had problems with the Hex key (WEP encryption). After following your advice and reading the man iwconfig, I saw that they put the key in XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX and since my key is a ten character key i thought to put it in as XXXX-XXXX-XX and it worked! So now I know how to get the wireless to work.......however, is all of this just a temporary fix untill you reboot your computer? The problem, is that this is my parents computer and I just installed Gutsy only a few days ago on it. I'm showing them an alternative to windows which has been giving them problems. These steps would be easy for me and I would certainly not have a problem entering them everytime I needed wireless, but it would be much easier if it would just stay after I got the wireless to work. Is there someway of making this permanent?
    Duck Tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side, and it binds the universe together......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How To: Troubleshoot your Wireless Network Connection - Connecting at Command Li

Again as stated in the tutorial, this method isnt really for everyday use, rather than troubleshooting or just testing to see if the wireless network card works. As far as everyday use, are you planning on using network manager?? Also is this with a laptop or a desktop you are working with -- what Im getting at here is there any situation with this computer that you might need network roaming? If you do not need roaming then within the /etc/network/interfaces file you would put (for WEP)

auto <inteface>
    iface <interface> inet dhcp
    wireless-essid <essid>
    wireless-key <key>
    wireless-mode Managed

Thats about it. You probably have to do a
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

This should (cross your fingers) bring the network connection up on boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bring the connection up in the network manager? Because it hasn't even been giving me an option for wireless. It's for my parents desktop, so it won't need to roam. I'll try what you told me then i'll get back to you. Thanks again!
    Duck Tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side, and it binds the universe together......

Beans

Hey, I've been having some trouble with connecting with this method. After I set up everything (hex WEP key included) I'm still getting that same error at the last command:

Code:
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
     No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    I'm grateful that I can at least see what the problem is, but I still have no idea how to solve it. Help would be appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

I cant help you with this -- it could be a configuration issue, a reception issue, or something else. Try first with unencryption to verify that everything is setup properly (minus the WEP line).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Again as stated in the tutorial, this method isnt really for everyday use, rather than troubleshooting or just testing to see if the wireless network card works. As far as everyday use, are you planning on using network manager?? Also is this with a laptop or a desktop you are working with -- what Im getting at here is there any situation with this computer that you might need network roaming? If you do not need roaming then within the /etc/network/interfaces file you would put (for WEP)

auto <inteface>
    iface <interface> inet dhcp
    wireless-essid <essid>
    wireless-key <key>
    wireless-mode Managed

Thats about it. You probably have to do a
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

This should (cross your fingers) bring the network connection up on boot.

I did this but it won't let me save the file. It says that the file is read only. I opened it in gedit, is there some way I should do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo5150 View Post
    I did this but it won't let me save the file. It says that the file is read only. I opened it in gedit, is there some way I should do this?
    sudo gedit...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

from message 117.

Have re-installed wpa_supplicant and kwlan.

set my router to wpa2/TKIP.

Having worked through a bunch of configuration stuff, I am confused.

Do I edit /etc/network/interfaces with the WPA config stuff,

or

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf?

And how do I know which wpa driver is appropriate for my wireless hardware? Is there a table anywhere?

Kwlan seems to pick up the profile if there isa wpa_supplicant.conf file, but will not allow me to edit the encryption parameters to set them up. Note I started kwlan from the terminal as 'sudo kwlan'.

Am I just confusing myself?

Thanks for any guidance (again).

Beans

Trying on this thread in hopes it'll get noticed sooner. I won't copy the bulk of the previos message from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...88#post4064688

In short, what can I look for when dhclient simply fails to get any offers and quits? No other relevant error messages anywhere in the log. I've tested this with the driver that does work properly in dual booted XP so it's gotta be a problem somewhere in the wireless stack/config rather than in the driver/hardware/access point. Is there any way to enable verbose logging from the wireless stack (whatever it consists of)? Note that all iw* commands SEEM to work -- as in no error messages and iwlist/iwconfig reflect the changes. Except, the essid is never set to what I specified -- iwconfig always shows it as "off/any".

Beans
    Distro

Can you post an example?

Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast