Thread: Objective

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Objective

Ok now that were here and all what exactly are we trying to accomplish??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Objective

To quote the team site:

The Louisiana LoCo (Local Community Organization) is a group of computer users dedicated to bringing Ubuntu to the great state of Louisiana. The LouisianaTeam focuses on distributing, advertising, and demonstrating Ubuntu throughout the state. Through expansion of our projects, we focus on the areas of schools, businesses, and home users.

Personally, I was looking for a group of like minded users who shared some of my same interests. As a relative n00b to Linux I was hoping to find some of the same community support I see on the forums in a local group.

-hal

Beans

I, too, live in Mandeville. I'm also still relatively new to linux, though I'm comfortable enough that I could use it on a daily basis. I think the only reason I don't is because sometimes I just need to play a game or do something school related... and since I built my computer 2 years ago all my files are on NTFS partitions (raided ntfs partitions at that) so it was kind of hard to make a full switch. However, 7.10 with NTFS write support does sound intriguing. I'd like to get involved in projects that help me learn more about ubuntu, but as a high school senior I'm kept busy with many things. I might join this for the same reason as Hal though, just to be part of a local group of ubuntu users. I'd try to get linux installed on some of the computers at the school, but they're really up tight about it and simply won't believe that a student knows more about what they need than the people they hired to implement the solutions in the first place lol.

Beans

Rayville, LA I,ve been configuring some desktops with Feisty after they get their XP viruses ; oh yes you will get a virus. I use two harddrives: installing Ubuntu on the primary and relegating MSXP to the secondary. People have a difficult time not believing what they have always thought, because of this many of us operate rationally inside of a framework of lunacy. I'm starting to get request for Ubuntu but A lot of the computers are oooold, still I'll take what I can get. Ubuntu is the coolest because of U.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Aristotle, what school do you goto. I happen to be a senior at Northshore and i was the cause of all the scare with the massive Net send message that scared all the teachers into thinking there was a virus lol.

Beans

MHS. My friends and I did net sends freshman year lol.
    net send * "Password dump detected"
    lol

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Yea was pretty funny when i sent it out

Net Send * "Hello World"

Didnt realize people would freak out lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think we may need to bring a little life to this topic. It seems like now might be a good time to look at what our objective as a group is going to be.

What areas would we like to focus on? Do we want to help the individual get up and running with Ubuntu, or do we want to try to convert businesses also? Do we want to be a strictly social group? Should we promote open standards?

Ultimately the group as a whole will determine the direction we go. That's no reason we can't start some discussion on the topic. Should we bring this up and hold a discussion during a meeting?