Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xfire Client on Wine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Xfire Client on Wine!

i dont know if i did something wrong but when XFire trys to run i get a Xfire exception, and it wants to upload some info.... so it didnt work for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok i got it to work... but i think i cheated... i just used the install from my windows partition and ran it as is, so far it runs... i do get the name problem, i see "<<<<<<" as a name... but i can mouse over them to see their login name... it did detect my Starcraft+broodwar installation idk if it will show my status as "Playing starcraft: broodwar" or not yet

--edit---

ok it does detect games you play
    Last edited by wwarsin; January 8th, 2008 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

awsum great post

Beans

Great and thanks so mcuh..

who would know that windows ME would fix anything

Buggy yes, works yes.

ty

Beans

pidgin has an xfire plugin that works pretty well I don't know how far its come along but its good for basic chatting and keeping yourself informed.

Beans

I realize this thread is old, but I've noted on the XFire forums AND these ones that everyone has a problem with Wine/XFire displaying names as []. Well, a friend of mine found the solution. Here's the link to the post:
    http://z6.invisionfree.com/Angels_Of...&#entry6361693

Just in case you have to register to view it, here's the meat:
    I am using wine 1.1.9, not sure how imporant that is, well onto the important part. Installing native win32 libs is equal to absolutely 0 support from wine. I had issues the first time around with winetricks because i went overboard and had to nuke my _entire_ .wine folder (Except the few programs I backed up outta ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ that had no sysregilstry requirments).

Rationale:

I knew that Xfire depended on Internet Explorer 6.1 and mscomctrl and the windows fonts. Knowing that, I knew that it would work best with the native libraries. I have wine setup to show itself as windows 2000, not sure how important that is. Anyway.

Open up a shell on the same acct you use wine from and type the following commands at a bash shell:

CODE

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks allfonts
    sh winetricks ie6
    sh winetricks comctl32
    sh winetricks comctl32.ocx

Please note that it may fail on allfonts a few times, i had timeout issues with the liberation font pacakge. To remedy that you can download them in the web browser of your choice (or use wget). Assuming you are at terminal, the following commands will download them and put them where winetricks expects them to be:

I use -v out of preference, I like verbose output on any file activity
    CODE

wget https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/...ts-1.04.tar.gz
    mv -v liberation-fonts-1.0.4.tar.gz ~/.wine/drive_c/winetrickstmp

Please note that if you use a different user for wine, it needs to be placed into
    CODE

export WINEUSR=/home/<wineusrid>/.wine
    $WINEUSR/drive_c/winetrickstmp

The export line is also something you can put into your main userid's /.bash_profile or /.bashrc file if you do use a different user for wine. (Some people have different uid/gid for each program, especailly something large like wine, so that its easy to track what wine is doing and what files it has created on disk...). This way any time you need to use the wine dir you can cd $WINEUSR and avoid a few keystrokes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetical View Post
    Iqm confused at step 4. How do I run the exe to intstall xfire into wine? If i click the exe it says

"Couldn't display "/home/ask/Desktop/xfire_installer_28220.exe"."

Hmmm... I think I may be doing it wrong...I say that cause I'm a big noob
    I know i'm a bit late to this scene, but what you wanna do is right click the .exe file and click "run in wine programme loader" as long as you have wine installed, you will successfully install the exe to the best of wines abilities.

Beans

Thanks so much for this how to. I am however still having some problems with chat, I click on any part of the client and it crashes. makes it hard to get to the text box to write back.

Beans

The installer now says ME isn't supported. Vista gave an error about being "Unable to elevate, error 1" NT 4.0 asked me to upload an Xfire error report like XP.
    Bicycling is the perfect union of driver and engine.
    Code:
    union bicyclist{ struct driver driver; struct engine engine; };

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The latest xfire installer stops and displays an error if you try installing it in ME, after installing it and running xfire in a variety of different settings, about 75% of the time that I try to start it, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE, and not only does xfire crash, but I also get logged out

(64-bit ubuntu 9.04, wine version 1.1.35, xfire version 1.118)
    Last edited by modelrockettier; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added program and OS versions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast