Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [STEAM] CSS Startup Menu problem

Beans

[STEAM] CSS Startup Menu problem

Hi to all,

Since I do not want to waste your time, I will directly come to my issue point. I, finnaly got Steam working on Linux Ubuntu without any lag whatsoever, yet there is a problem occuring when opening CSS (CounterStrike: Source). When I double click on the icon, I can as usual a message if I want to start anyway CSS (This is no serious message, also appears on Windows) then CSS loads. I get the normal loading menu, with the CSS background skin and the small button on the bottom right corner showing me the message: Loading ...

Up to now, everything works and had worked perfectly, but now comes the problem. When the menu should appear I get something else in stead. Well, I can recognize it as the menu, but everything seems all fuzzy and a bit.. at a wrong place
    (I uploaded the image as a .png file)

Well, what I did then is simply quiting CSS. (Please note, I have the Tahoma font in place, since I can view teh Steam menu, so this has not to do with the problem.

Now, while I was typing this up, I started CSS again, somehow I got an error message saying:

Code:
    SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x0034E064) failed with error
    1: The registry is in use by another process, timeout expired
    I seriously do not know whats up with all this.
    I had installed OpenSuSe once, since Steam and CSS did not work on those, I chose to take Ubuntu, because EVERYONE told me, it works on Ubuntu. Now I get this message.. I was so happy to start to use Linux fully, without switching to windows in order to play css. Now I have again a problem with starting it.. :/

Well anyway, I really hope someone can help me, I would be soo grateful

Thanks a lot in advance,

Adrian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: [STEAM] CSS Startup Menu problem

Problem 1 (Steam):

Steam thinks that you are still logged in. You have to right click on the Steam icon in the right corner of the desktop and choose "Quit" to log off.

BTW start CSS always from the terminal with ...

Code:
    WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240 -fullscreen
    For further informations visit this site.

Problem 2 (graphic bug):

Start the terminal and enter ...

Code:
    winecfg
    and unmark "Pixel Shader activated".

BTW the current Wine version is 0.9.46.

Beans

Hi.

Sorry that I am only answering this now, but unfortunately my pc has some problems concerning the booting. (Failure opening Operating System) Now I had to re-install Ubuntu, it kind of works, I need to hit F11 before the Error message appears, then I need to select my first driver, than somewhere below my new Ubuntu OS.

Well, because of that I needed to re-install Steam etc. somehow I had more problems this time with installing it than last time.. :/

Executing then wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi did not work at first and it did somewhen with luck

Well, I cannot tell now if your post really helped me, because as soon as I double click on the Steam Shortcut and I login I get a message saying that I need to install Geckoo. Now the thing is, the small window telling me this is somehow blocked, I cannot click on the install button. This makes it impossible for me to get into Steam.
    And after doing nothing fow 20 seconds I get an Error message. This message is attached as a .png file again.
    I tried to install gecko following this command:

Code:
    wine iexplore www.google.com
    Somehow I finished downloading but nothing more..

Btw. I cannot open Steam or CSS using your command, or any other because the Steam Login menu is blank, I cannot see the font.
    (Opening it through Steam is ok, since I have the Tahoma font in place) I seriously do have problems with this PC.. :/

Anyway, I'd be more happy to have a solution for gecko than this one

Thanks a lot,

Adrian

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by FaLleN AnGeL; October 13th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Beans

OK, I solved my Gecko problem.

I can now have access to Steam with no further problems.
    But exactly here lies my second problem :/

I finished downloading CounterStrike: Source and wanted to play (Obviously.. ), but when I double click it and press Continue Anyway, my screen loads, I can see for a short second or two the CS background skin and the Loading... button on the bottom right corner, after this the screen blackens, and then I am forwarded back to my Desktop, there is no CS window.. o0

Adrian

Beans

Who says that Trial & Error never works?

Yes I can open Counterstrike: Source, Yes I can change things in the Options menu, chat via [alt] + switch, yes I can find servers, NO: I can't connect to them.

It just doesn't work. The thing is, it stops loading just before I should connect to the server.

Unfortunately my pc freezes as I try to close CSS. When I try to close it with the terminal xkill command (Doesnt work with right click -> close) Some Wine System Tray pop-up menu appears and my pc really slows down. Only a pc reboot helped... :/

I think that the problem relates to the WINEDEBUG command, but that one doesnt work..

Code:
    adrian@adrian-desktop:~$ WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240 -fullscreen
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\steam.exe": Module not found
    The Other command found on the site: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304528
    , However worked..

Edit:// I tested it out a few times now, it always stops just before the last Bar is being loaded. I don't know why.. Same thing happens when I create a server..
    Last edited by FaLleN AnGeL; October 14th, 2007 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

Sorry that I always post reply, but I find it better to keep the overview like that.

Basically after 2 days of full concentration and work I got to fix all these things:

• WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240 -fullscreen - It is not a problem anymore
    • Gecko Steam HTML pages viewer - fixed
    • Pixel Shader in Winecfg menu - Fixed ; I can now access the menu without any problem and configure it

Thus, I can use Steam without any problem. I can also access the CSS menu point now without any problem either.

Now the only problem that is left is that I cannot create or join any server. My PC freezes after a certain point (As you can see in my attached .png image file) and I always have to reboot my PC through the restart button.

I guess that this will be the last step, after that I will be able to play Counter Strike: Source hopefully without any problem.

Thank you very much,

Adrian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Please tell me which video card, Wine version, Wine audio option (OSS or ALSA) and Wine mode (XP or Vista) you currently use.

Here is another link to the Wine AppDB for CSS with further tips.

BTW don't enable a 3D desktop like Beryl or Compiz, if you play games with Wine!

Beans

Ok here are the informations you want:

• nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]
      (Checked it out with the lspci command btw.)
    • adrian@adrian-desktop:~$ wine --version
      wine-0.9.46
    • Wine Audio Option is currently OSS. Thats how Wine has recomended me to set to
    • With Wine Mode, do you mean the Windows version?
      The default one was Windows 2000, but I was using an xp sp2 pack.
      ]The problem is, that I dont have any Windows anymore, I have overwritten it with Ubuntu.

Thank you,

Adrian

Beans

Hmm, can anyone help me? Or is this a hopeless case?

Adrian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FaLleN AnGeL View Post
    nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]
    You already have installed the Nvidia drivers, right?

adrian@adrian-desktop:~$ wine --version
    wine-0.9.46
    Use version 0.9.44.

Wine Audio Option is currently OSS. Thats how Wine has recomended me to set to
    Select ALSA only.

With Wine Mode, do you mean the Windows version?
    Start winecfg and select Windows XP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast