Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal DVD playback

Beans

Legal DVD playback

OpenSUSE now has encrypted DVD playback as well as other multimedia codecs available by default. Now I'm not saying Ubuntu have these available by default, but i think in order for Ubuntu to become successful they need to start to dance with the devil of CSS. I know theres medibuntu, but in the US it's illegal and for newbies, anywhere, who are technophobes the idea of having to add a repository then using synaptic to hunt down codecs is a turn off. The easiest way around this i can think of would be for Canonical to sell a package/license/. Then have it available under Add/Remove like the extra codec packages.

Beans

Re: Legal DVD playback

OpenSUSE has went over to the dark side its part of the evil empire.I think you have been infected and are trying to lure others to join the evil empire.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would check out http://www.cnr.com since legal DVD playback for residents of the USA is the kind of thing they should support. It is very new but they do support Ubuntu 7.04

By the way in most parts of the world it is perfectly legal to use the libdecss libraries to play DVDs but the USA is one notable exception. Caution IANAL
    Last edited by Dr. C; October 6th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by saxuntu View Post
    OpenSUSE now has encrypted DVD playback as well as other multimedia codecs available by default.
    Encrypted DVD playback is still only available in third party repositories, it's just easier to install via a (community-provided) one click installer. The fluendo MP3 gstreamer codec is the only one I can think of which is available/installed (?) from the official repositories.

Beans

You know this is getting so old. I understand it's(DVD playback) illegal in the US, disagree but understand. The other day I read a release from Sony saying people who rip legally purchased CD's and change formats, say to FLAC like I do, are as guilty of theft as downloaders, in their opinion. I can't wait to have a cop check my cd player next time I get stopped, for illegal MP3's, lol

Cart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ericartman View Post
    The other day I read a release from Sony saying people who rip legally purchased CD's and change formats, say to FLAC like I do, are as guilty of theft as downloaders, in their opinion. I can't wait to have a cop check my cd player next time I get stopped, for illegal MP3's, lol

Cart
    would you mind providing a link? i'd love a good laugh. i myself rip all of my CD's to .flac also, so this oughta be good to read.

Beans

Here ya go, yeah its getting so strange.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-stealing.html

Cart

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ericartman View Post
    The other day I read a release from Sony saying people who rip legally purchased CD's and change formats, say to FLAC like I do, are as guilty of theft as downloaders, in their opinion.
    I really can't respect the opinion on this subject of the same people who put a rootkit on CD's as a DRM measure. That's a pretty ridiculous (and a bit scary) stance in any case, irrespective of who is saying it.

edit- thanks for the link!

edit2-
    ...she clearly suggests that consumers have no right to make backups of the music that they have purchased in CD form or even in download form.
    This is the sort of thing that made me decide not to buy CD's from major record labels anymore.
    Last edited by Celegorm; October 6th, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
    Linux user #448486 - Ubuntu user #15358

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm fairly certain that Jennifer Pariser is simply incorrect about this. There are no laws against ripping music from a CD, and every RIAA member has deals with companies that make products with this capability built in (iTunes, WMP). IANAL.

A few years ago, the Onion ran a headline (no story) that said "RIAA bans telling friends about music." It seemed ridiculous. At the time. These folks are more out of touch than I thought possible.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by saxuntu View Post
    OpenSUSE now has encrypted DVD playback as well as other multimedia codecs available by default.
    Are you sure? Maybe they are included on the DVD but not installed by default.

http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast