Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by cyclister
    Hey man I really trying here I do not what to do I see that your some kind of king at this hehe.Oki I have a shity nvidia vanta 6 card stands in my device manager.
    I have breezy if I check in terminal I want hoary hedhog, I have higher recetptions but might missed one step, I think not I can see many more packs now.
    And I have gnome and think I want to stay with that.
    1 first I want to change to Hoary how to?
    Only change name but Hoary xxxx ?
    I standing in the
    /usr/src$ cd /usr/src/linuxsudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.11 /usr/src/linux

And the file do not exist
    Standing though in /usr/src$
    Trying out the next step sudo make menuconfig or xconfig
    In terminal I can read "terminal no rule to create target" I have not an englisch version.And I follow everything bit by bit.
    Hey man what to do?

Offtopic
    Saying again your the king on compilmation matters, how did you become a master
    in this?
    You are surely a rare guy, take that as a compliment.
    Thanks for the compliment but I'm not a "king" of compilation. I had to learn how to compile my kernel because my previous computer was very unfriendly to Linux. I followed Luca_linux's guide in this forum and I thought my experience could be useful to many newbies. Believe me I don't know if you can understand what what kind of problems I had to face because of hardware incompatibilities. (Fortunately I've bought a new computer that works out of the box with Linux). I don't want any newbie to get as frustrated as I got and for this reason I write my guides. I'm just a common guy who learns fast.

About your problem:

1) delete your linux folder:
    sudo rm linux

then

cd /usr/src/

ls (in this way you will see the content of the folder)

See the name of the folder with the linux source (and make sure there is not a double folder, one inside the other, for example /linux-source-2.6.11/linux-source-2.6.11/) and put it when I put the word in red

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.11 linux

cd linux

ls

sudo make menuconfig

2) About Hoary: if you want to switch to Hoary (from Breezy) you will have to download a Hoary iso image and install it over Breezy.
    Last edited by tseliot; September 22nd, 2005 at 08:39 AM.

Beans

Ok trying doing that part but I now the message command not found apear, this is very strange.
    Im gonna do everything all over from the first step, to the last and first do the rm, I did take a good sleep here.So this gonna work tomorrow or so.
    I only gonna take that you spelled in red?
    Another thing can I have a browser up and going and my firewall when I do this, meaning in other system say windows when you upgrading something you turn off everything.
    A little thing here I tried to in put the 2.6.12 kernel first when I saw the compilation, can it be a problem?
    When I now trying to do a compilation of 2.6.11 instead.

Ok man how do I know if I have done my lesson and everything is runing on a compilmated kernel?
    Now I get this messages: To many levels of symbolic links

Btw I think stick with breezy
    Yeah you sure are a quick learner, I guess I gonna get this done after some
    But hey you learned all about it thats cool
    Last edited by cyclister; September 22nd, 2005 at 01:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok trying doing that part but I now the message command not found apear, this is very strange.
    Im gonna do everything all over from the first step, to the last and first do the rm, I did take a good sleep here.So this gonna work tomorrow or so.
    Yes, I think you'd better start from scratch

I only gonna take that you spelled in red?
    I don't understand the question. BTW you have to follow the commands (EVERY command) as described in my guide

Another thing can I have a browser up and going and my firewall when I do this, meaning in other system say windows when you upgrading something you turn off everything.
    You can do whatever you want during the process. However I advise you not to use resource intensive applications such as music or video players, etc. The firewall won't cause you any problem.

A little thing here I tried to in put the 2.6.12 kernel first when I saw the compilation, can it be a problem?
    When I now trying to do a compilation of 2.6.11 instead.
    It's not a problem, you can use any kernel version. Just make sure you extract the tar(or zipped) file properly.

Btw I think stick with breezy
    Yeah you sure are a quick learner, I guess I gonna get this done after some
    But hey you learned all about it thats cool
    Don't you worry, compiling a new kernel is a breeze after you've managed to do it 1 time

Beans

In my usr/src I can see one linux one linux kernel 2.6.11 is I done then?
    And I have also a tar "package" 2.6.12 how do I extract that rar or zip?
    My "archive handler" didnt achive to extracht it.

My little question is also how do I know I reach the goal when the compilation is done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by odin
    I didnt follow what you were talking about but if you want to untar that and place it in /usr/src then just do:

tar -xvjf linux-xxxx

and then

sudo mv the_directory_created_when_untar /usr/src

hope this helps you.
    cyclister: try this method

Beans

A little thing here do I have to restart and do the every first step in this howto evry time?
    I guess I am quite long in the compilation, and I have to do every step every
    time or?
    Yesterday I was over to a friend all day, then I ride my bicyckle so darn hard I was all to tired.And some good tv programms and so forth.
    But hey now the compilation gonna work, I mean this is a via chipset computer for god sake.So now I gonna pray to the godess of all technical matters technica I invented her to help me get some guide, sometimes her help have come sent from no where thats a promise
    I must be stupid I guess many had done the compilation for light years ago
    With your guidence and all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A little thing here do I have to restart and do the every first step in this howto evry time?
    I guess I am quite long in the compilation, and I have to do every step every
    time or?
    Yesterday I was over to a friend all day, then I ride my bicyckle so darn hard I was all to tired.And some good tv programms and so forth.
    But hey now the compilation gonna work, I mean this is a via chipset computer for god sake.So now I gonna pray to the godess of all technical matters technica I invented her to help me get some guide, sometimes her help have come sent from no where thats a promise
    I must be stupid I guess many had done the compilation for light years ago
    With your guidence and all
    Just to be sure:
    1)delete the folder with linux source (sudo rm /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.11 or any other version)

2) delete the link to the kernel (sudo rm //usr/src/linux)

3) and start again using the advices I gave you before.

It's just a matter of copy and paste commands from the guide to the command line. Of course the time of compilation can be 45min long. You can do it

Beans

Ok man I have tar the packages I did that but now I cant menu config the thing here, trying out 2 commands. x config or

I thought linux was a great thing with old grafic cards, hey I do not have any drivers I have look for them but cant score any, not any how does work for this fricking computer.

We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
    tree. Since we are trying to make a kernel package, that does not make
    sense. Please change directory to a top level linux kernel source
    directory, and try again. (If I am wrong, and this is indeed a top
    level linux kernel source directory, then I have gotten sadly out of
    date with current kernels, and you should upgrade kernel-package)

Ohh no I have to download a packages again or what should I do?
    aaaw crap
    When I trying to start with my new kernel I cant I get a black screen with some text on it, but I choose grub and start with my old.I have only done half the complimation due to my menu config problems and such
    Last edited by cyclister; September 24th, 2005 at 06:48 AM. Reason: I did succeding in one of my questions

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Has anyone been able to make the kernel in breezy? I treid to follow this guide and one time I got to point where it was loading x but then crashed. That was with kernel without any changes. Any of custom made haven't even loaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok man I have tar the packages I did that but now I cant menu config the thing here, trying out 2 commands. x config or

I thought linux was a great thing with old grafic cards, hey I do not have any drivers I have look for them but cant score any, not any how does work for this fricking computer.

We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
    tree. Since we are trying to make a kernel package, that does not make
    sense. Please change directory to a top level linux kernel source
    directory, and try again. (If I am wrong, and this is indeed a top
    level linux kernel source directory, then I have gotten sadly out of
    date with current kernels, and you should upgrade kernel-package)

Ohh no I have to download a packages again or what should I do?
    aaaw crap
    When I trying to start with my new kernel I cant I get a black screen with some text on it, but I choose grub and start with my old.I have only done half the complimation due to my menu config problems and such
    1) Ok, I don't get the problem. But can you post the results of this actions, please?

cd /usr/src/

ls (and post the results)

cd linux

and if there is another folder inside (like linux source)

cd the_directory_inside

2) In which folder do you do the operation (and get the error) (/usr/src, etc.)?

3) I don't know what your problem is with your graphic card.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast