Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should my girlfriend get a computer with Linux?

Beans

Should my girlfriend get a computer with Linux?

OK, I need your honest opinion here.

My girlfriend needs to buy a new laptop. After checking around on the 'net, I've found a few good alternatives. However, the computer that seems best overall -- after evaluating how much you pay for the hardware you get -- is a Linux computer with Ubuntu installed.

I suggested she buy that computer, but she is quite opposed to the notion. In fact, we kinda got into an argument about it. My main point was that she shouldn't pay so much extra money for one OS, when she can get another OS that can do what she needs for free -- all she uses her computer for is listen to music, watch movies, surf the internet, and write papers for her university. If there's no gaming involved, why not go for linux?

Her points were:

1. She does not have time to learn a new OS

2. If something stops working, she can't turn it in for service, since hardly anyone will know how to fix Linux

3. There is no support for it -- you see labels with "works with Windows" all over the place, or even "works with Mac", but there's hardly ever any reference to Linux

4. If she wants to get a job, and she doesn't know how to use Vista, only Linux, they won't give it to her since "all businesses use only Windows, not Linux"

I wish to draw from your experience. What is your take on this? Have you been in a similar situation, or know of someone who has? How did it work out?

In my view, her first point should be a non-issue since she is not a poweruser like I am -- there really isn't that much new to learn if you want to listen to music and play movies, and in my experience Ubuntu is a lot easier to use for such simple tasks than, for instance, Windows Vista. I don't know about the other points, though, since she has a different way of dealing with computers than I do

I do not merely want to convert her to Linux -- I just want to give her the best deal possible. In my experience, with Vista RC1, it wasn't really a good OS. Enough was different with it from XP that transferring to either Vista or Ubuntu wouldn't make much of a difference as far as learning new things are concerned.

Should I persist in advising her to buy a Ubuntu computer? If yes, is Ubuntu the best distro for her? Or would she be better off with getting a computer with Vista installed?

I would like to see her pick Linux, but I do not want her to regret that choice later.

Also, she will move back to Russia in a few months. Which is one reason I think that choosing Linux might not be such a bad idea. Unfortunately, this also means I won't be there to offer support if something unexpected does happen.

Beans

Re: Should my girlfriend get a computer with Linux?

1. She does not have time to learn a new OS
    Answered your question right there. Don't put her on a OS that may break when it updates and generally will need CLI know-how to be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

2. If something stops working, she can't turn it in for service, since hardly anyone will know how to fix Linux

3. There is no support for it -- you see labels with "works with Windows" all over the place, or even "works with Mac", but there's hardly ever any reference to Linux

4. If she wants to get a job, and she doesn't know how to use Vista, only Linux, they won't give it to her since "all businesses use only Windows, not Linux"
    All these are true. Especially if she is moving away from you. I'd say let her use Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If she is in Russia and you cant help her getting used to Ubuntu it might be better to have XP. When sthg goes wrong with it she cant blame you for it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I showed Ubuntu to my fiance and she was pretty open to giving it a try. I had her run the Live CD for about a week. She ended up moving back to Windows XP. Why?

Simple. Some of her music didn't work correctly - a big part of that was that XMMS is NOT Winamp, and she uses Winamp. She doesn't want to learn something new. Sound quality for her music wasn't as good as it is in Windows. There was no decent simple video editor (compared to Windows Movie Maker). Finally she had no idea what to do if something didn't work the right way (well, she really doesn't know a lot about Windows, but she knows a lot more about Windows than anything else).

Honestly - Linux is great if you have the time and the will. But for most users it just isn't ready for them.

It's her computer - it should be her choice. Respect it.

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by AbtZ View Post
    OK, I need your honest opinion here.

I suggested she buy that computer, but she is quite opposed to the notion. In fact, we kinda got into an argument about it.
    You will never win this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think the saying is .. Don't push her into doing something she might be against.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

There is no support for it -- you see labels with "works with Windows" all over the place, or even "works with Mac", but there's hardly ever any reference to Linux
    Actually I bought a USB flash drive once and on the back it had a Windows logo, an Apple logo and a Penguin
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Buy the computer and put XP on it. I know someone around you has a XP cd.
    Acer Aspire 3680, Intel Celeron M, 1.41 GB RAM
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'd let it go and let her buy a Windows PC (though I agree with fuzzyhair, slap XP on that thing instead of Vista as soon as humanly possible).

Of all the things you could be fighting about, why waste all that good fighting energy on an operating system?

Or you could do what I did; get her addicted to Gnome games like majhonng and tali. My fiance barely uses her Windows computer at all anymore.
    For dark is the suede that mows like a harvest

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast