Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's This?: Does Anyone WANT to See MS Monopoly fall?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

How's This?: Does Anyone WANT to See MS Monopoly fall?

Does anyone want to see the monopoly fall apart? I mean the monopoly, not the company.

Kevin
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How's This?: Does Anyone WANT to See MS Monopoly fall?

Yes, although it's already happening.

The moment MS can no longer take the easy route and lock their customers in with "standards" they'll have to actually compete by innovating. So we'll all gain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicv View Post
    Yes, although it's already happening.

The moment MS can no longer take the easy route and lock their customers in with "standards" they'll have to actually compete by innovating. So we'll all gain.
    Yes, but not soon enough for my liking...

Kevin
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Beans

Price tag on a product is a very important thing for many people: these people judge product quality by its price. If something costs more, it seems to be better than something that you can get for free...

This kind of thinking will keep MS in the OS-game for a long time.

But luckily, not everybody is a snob...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orange2k View Post
    Price tag on a product is a very important thing for many people: these people judge product quality by its price. If something costs more, it seems to be better than something that you can get for free...

This kind of thinking will keep MS in the OS-game for a long time.

But luckily, not everybody is a snob...
    I actually heard a comment like this from a tech at one of the PC repair shops around here. He thinks Linux is freeware and all freeware is crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[QUOTE=orange2k;3473403]Price tag on a product is a very important thing for many people: these people judge product quality by its price.QUOTE]

that might be how Apple stays in busineess...lol

Microsoft will never go away, it will become another IBM. As in it will sell a whole bunch of products and servies that confuse the hell out of everyone. Which bring me to this: can anyone tell me what IBM really does anymore... IBM used to stand for International Business Machines, but now they only make mainframes and sell "business solutions"... I dont get it?
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

[QUOTE=LowSky;3475111]
    Quote Originally Posted by orange2k View Post
    Price tag on a product is a very important thing for many people: these people judge product quality by its price.QUOTE]

that might be how Apple stays in busineess...lol

Microsoft will never go away, it will become another IBM. As in it will sell a whole bunch of products and servies that confuse the hell out of everyone. Which bring me to this: can anyone tell me what IBM really does anymore... IBM used to stand for International Business Machines, but now they only make mainframes and sell "business solutions"... I dont get it?
    I think that the number of freelance programers that contribute to the open source has grown big enough to actually show the "paid proffessionals" companies like IBM the leading way into inovation.
    The way open source works seems to me like something that nobody can stop - the possibillity to share knowledge and work together over space and wire truly announces an era of bliss for those 3% of the people on Earth who have access to the internet or those 25% who have a bed, table, chairs and a roof.
    Last edited by orange2k; October 4th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Honestly, I don't see the Microsoft monopoly ever going away.

I can see a point when Apple, Linux, and BSD get some more of the desktop pie, but I can't honestly say that that will ever get past 40%.

People are too ingrained in the whole Microsoft thing, and frankly, even now, most users aren't all that unhappy with either their products or their business practices.

Beans
    Hidden!

The monopoly fall? Yes. Microsoft fall? No.

Competition is great for the human spirit.

Also if people want to spend an arm and a leg for an OS and basic software, let them. If people need another or a company to think for them then that is their choice.

Now on the flip side of this. Many people are just to busy to worry about getting the basics of an OS set up. So the only choice they have is to get one that is very easy to install and use (Easy from a non-geek's point of view.) So with that I think this gives Linux as a whole an extra push to come up with more for people in that group.

So again. Competition is a good thing but not a monopoly like MS.

Maybe MS could stop what they are doing, in part anyways. Create a whole new computer just for their software, something like what Apple has done, and leave PC's alone. Then the PC's could be for Linux and BSD

Ok, maybe not,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i would like to see this since ms tries to control every thing and at the same time they are screwing every one over with viruses, bad products and just a very unstable sluggish product. Most people don't know any better than to think ms is the best so they think that, but the the reason why is they see that every one uses windows so they assume it must be the best.

Their are so many reasons why m$ should burn.

also take a look at vista, its no good. Its an example of ms to the extreme, slow and unstable.

I believe as more people either get fed up with ms or start to explore more technologies they will realize that their are better things out there and ms will have to change. but until then
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive
    evga Geforce 8600 ssc 256mb over clocked

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast