Thread: Dellbuntu's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dellbuntu's

I am curious if anyone here has purchased any of the dell pc's w/ ubuntu? I helped my sister pick one out for school, a 1420n laptop. I have it running virtual box w/ xp since she needs adobe cs3. So far she loves it and has had very few questions.

Has anyone tried running the gutsy beta? I am not sure if I should recommend her to do the dist-update next thursday or wait for her to come home...

Not trying to have a thread only about one aspect of the dellbuntu's, so feel free to bring up whatever.

Beans

Arrow Re: Dellbuntu's

Quote Originally Posted by daveerickson View Post
    Has anyone tried running the gutsy beta? I am not sure if I should recommend her to do the dist-update next thursday or wait for her to come home...
    I can't say much about Dellbuntu's but if she's not an experienced user, then i recommend waiting for her to come home before running dist-upgrade. If something goes awry (even if very small) you would be able to fix it (assuming you would be able to do that or inclined to find help in the forums). On the other hand if she's in college, then she might find techies there who can help her.

Just my 2 cents worth.

--NV

Beans

Re: Dellbuntu's

The best resource that I've found for running Ubuntu on Dell's has been mylittleubuntuguide.com . The scripts on the site worked flawlessly for me on my Inspiron 6400 to get the ATI drivers, Beryl, wireless installed and configured. Start to finish took about 40 minutes to install Ubuntu and have everything configured and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by brandon0201 View Post
    The best resource that I've found for running Ubuntu on Dell's has been mylittleubuntuguide.com . The scripts on the site worked flawlessly for me on my Inspiron 6400 to get the ATI drivers, Beryl, wireless installed and configured. Start to finish took about 40 minutes to install Ubuntu and have everything configured and running.
    I will check that site out when I get home.

I was thinking of waiting for her to be home too, just confirms that gut feeling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I convinced my wife to buy a Darter from System76. It's worked out well for her, but she's also had me around to fix things when they've gone awry. So I would concur with the others, wait until she's there.

I suppose the other option might be to have her do it herself right before she comes back home, that way she can get some experience doing it, and then she's not out for a long time if something goes awry. Just a thought.
    In life without walls, who needs windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shaft350x View Post
    I suppose the other option might be to have her do it herself right before she comes back home, that way she can get some experience doing it, and then she's not out for a long time if something goes awry. Just a thought.
    That is a great idea. I like that best so she sees how easy it can be, and if it mucks things up, that it can be fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I myself got one of the E1505N's shortly after initial release - has been working great thus far. (Haven't upgraded to Gutsy yet, going to get my local mirror up and running first)