Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve (potentially halve) login time by using readahead

Beans

Re: Improve (potentially halve) login time by using readahead

I get as far as

Now, without logging out, go to your GDM prompt (ALT+F8 ) and log in normally.
    ...but I never get back to GDM, it just shows some of the things that started when logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    ...but I never get back to GDM, it just shows some of the things that started when logging in.
    Note that it is not always the screen #8. For me, it is always #7. You should try
    CTRL+ALT+F7, CTRL+ALT+F9 or even CTRL+ALT+F10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am a bit confused about this "if you have /home on another partition than root then ..."-part.
    I have two partitions, /home and /, what commands should I use for part 1?

My first thought was that I should just replace "/" with "/home" and the resulting list filename when running this command:
    sudo readahead-watch -o ~/.readahead/gnome.root /

Am I correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

readahead-watch will not jump across filesystems. So you need to call it twice, once on / and once on /home, saving each to a different filename. Then you need to paste the contents of the two together into one file so that it can all be read at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hmm, I kept them as two separate files and logged in. It went faster alright, but the large "GNOME could not load properly ..." error window showed up and it didn't load my theme (default ubuntu human theme) but a blue theme which I guess is the default GNOME theme.
    I'll try to reboot and see if the problem automagically goes away. But any ideas on what might have caused it are welcome.

EDIT: Nevermind, a reboot fixed it. I shaved bootup time with 20 seconds. From ~90 to ~70.
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by [h2o]; January 9th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

I've done some more application testing, this time with firefox, which happily does see some improvement! Here's the charts:

uncached:
    before: ~8s
    using readahead-list && firefox: ~6s

cached: no difference, ~4s

the list generated is attached if anyone is interested.

I have also worked out a simple way to integrate this into your application startup: Make a bin/ directory in your home folder, and make sure that that folder is first in $PATH. Then just put in a script like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    readahead-list ~/.firefox.list
    exec firefox "$*"
    save, make it executable (chmod +x), and that's it! from now on, launching firefox will run through that script first, allowing you to have readahead without affecting anyone else on the system.
    Last edited by reacocard; January 21st, 2008 at 05:49 AM.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank You. It works great.

Just a note: When I would press either CTRL + ALT + F7 or F8, the system would hang. I found that F9 did work though. This seems like a problem with my, as I would think that I would be able to jump back into one of the existing sessions. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. If anyone else runs into this when following the steps, then try out CTRL + ALT + F9 to get back from the terminal.

Beans

Ya I am having a couple of problems...I can't get back to GDM prompt after the first step. if i use ctl atl f8 the system hangs, I can use ctl alt f7 but that just returns me back to the session I was just in without having to do a login. I tried just continuing on, but i get an error saying that there is no readahead process to kill. Any ideas?

Beans

This tutorial worked great, cut my time from GDM to usability by almost half. However, the third step, editing the rc.local file, doesn't seem to do anything... The script isn't executing on the login screen. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For anyone wondering about the CTRL ALT F7, F8, F9, etc, I found that when I installed the nvidia drivers released by nvidia, I was then able to switch back and forth between sessions. I can't be certain that this will work for anyone else, because I am not really sure why it worked for me. But it is something to try if you are interested.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast