Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu Forums Desktop Environment Market Share for October '07

/me drops in a vote for Openbox.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

KDE for now. Though to tell the truth, I'm using awn and CompizFusion (Emerald FTW) for window management, and do all my browsing in Firefox. I could swing either way.

And I guess that's sort of how I feel: I'm tired of there being two separate but almost equal desktops on *n?x systems, and would rather see a convergence of the likes we've been promised for a few years. What tends to happen instead is "innovation" in both camps, and by "innovation" I mean "new crap that's awesome but only works on one desktop."

Having said that, I'm looking forward to KDE4. It looks like a step in the right direction. I'm tired of seeing KDE getting majorly kicked in the butt by GNOME in the usability department and am hopeful this will level the playing field for a while.

p.s. Attached is a rather bland screenshot--Avant Window Navigator for the Dock, Emerald for WM, DominoLightGrey for KDE, Emerald, and GTK+ themes, and NuoveXT for icon theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I'm surprised Xubuntu isn't more popular, at least in this poll.
    I've been using linux for about 12 years, and have extensively tried KDE, gnome, fvwm2, icewm, fluxbox, jwm, and xfce.
    I've always liked KDE much more than gnome, mainly because of gnome's limited focus / window behavior (I'm a sloppy focus, but NO raise on click person).
    However, the trouble with KDE (as well as GNOME) is they are way too heavy and slow.
    I mean a modern quad-core machine with gnome or KDE seems to have slower desktop response than a 1Ghz pentium 4 running DamnSmallLinux (with fluxbox or jwm).
    Of course, DamnSmallLinux isn't feature rich enough for me for my main computer, so for the past couple of years I've been using Xubuntu and absolutely love it.
    It has all the focus/window behavior adjustability you could want, is very zippy compared to gnome/kde and easy to use/configure
    without having to edit config files (unlike othel light WM's like fluxbox, icewm, jwm). Sound / graphics / video stuff are all there.
    Not to mention an amazingly configurable task bar, with all sorts of applets (including weather), and all of them very configurable
    - for example you can use any strftime string in orage clock to display the date an any format you can possibly think of.
    XFCE is really the best of both worlds, and plays fantastic with compiz (great performance AND jaw-dropping eye candy).

Even after getting a cutting-edge performance machine (quad core AMD phenom black edition, and discrete nvidia graphics card)
    I still found KDE/GNOME not responsive enough to my tastes.
    Xubuntu is perfect, and not just for low-end machines. It really lets your hardware shine.
    Last edited by sordna; October 14th, 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Beans

I agree that Xfce is great, but why did you resurrect this thread? It's been dead for a year; let it rest in peace.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    xfce and fluxbox
    Jeez I was naive . And it shows I voted for Gnome

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu Forums Desktop Environment Market Share for October '07

I use both - Gnome as primary and KDE as secondary.
    Reason being very simple - both are good - i find Gnome easy and i feel at home with it and biggest point i am used to it - i use KDE4* series as well since it looks exciting and there are lots of new feature which are fun to use - i am sure once it reaches KDE4.2 or ahead it will be more exciting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread *coughs* title
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rohan21 View Post
    I use both - Gnome as primary and KDE as secondary.
    Reason being very simple - both are good - i find Gnome easy and i feel at home with it and biggest point i am used to it - i use KDE4* series as well since it looks exciting and there are lots of new feature which are fun to use - i am sure once it reaches KDE4.2 or ahead it will be more exciting.

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums! Rule 1: Don't bump year old topics.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234