Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

Coolen, First off excellent "how-to". I had apt-cacher running when my machines were all v7.10 from a how-to on another site. Went thru yours the other night and modified mine to the proxy method. MUCH nicer!

I really have two questions but I'll make two posts out of them so as not to muddy the waters.

Simple one first.

This is in my /var/log/apt-cacher file... I'm only posting the last few lines. This was present back when I had the modified sources.list method and now with the proxy method (I deleted my log and access files when I changed to proxy method the other night). I am assuming it is complaining that it's running in deamon mode. I realize it's only a "warning" but I don't know why it's posting it all the time and don't know what to change to make it go away. Any suggestions?

Code:
    Fri May  9 07:45:09 2008|INETD|info [17141]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:09 2008|INETD|info [17143]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:10 2008|INETD|info [17146]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:11 2008|INETD|info [17149]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:12 2008|INETD|info [17152]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:13 2008|INETD|info [17154]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:14 2008|INETD|info [17157]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:14 2008|INETD|info [17160]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:15 2008|INETD|info [17163]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:16 2008|INETD|info [17165]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:16 2008|INETD|info [17167]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:17 2008|INETD|info [17169]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:17 2008|INETD|info [17171]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:18 2008|INETD|info [17173]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:18 2008|INETD|info [17175]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:45:19 2008|INETD|info [17177]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Last edited by Skip Da Shu; May 9th, 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    - da shu @ HeliOS,
    "A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on an ability to afford it."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The 2nd question...

In the 'how-to' you talk about "running apt-get clean" from a scheduler on the server (only?). On my apt-cacher server (does run 24/7 as do most of the clients) I set this up to run twice a day (probably overkill) in CRON.

While mucking about with this I looked at some of the clients /var/cache/apt/archives directory to see if they were empty before and after running update-manager... I got a bit confused about when /var/cache/apt/archive will load up with packages and when it will not.

So just now I'm back on a v8.04 Xubuntu machine (c26). I checked the /var/cache/apt/archives - nothing there - run update manager - 1 package to update - runs and updates. Back to c26's /var/cache/apt/archives. There sits "foomatic filters" package. Back on c20 (the apt-cacher server) we have this in it's access log:
    Code:
    Fri May  9 10:21:12 2008|192.168.218.26|HIT|135864|foomatic-filters_3.0.2-20071204-0ubuntu2.1_all.deb
    OK, this is what I had expected to happen. C26's apt asks for foomatic, c20 got the request, had it in it's apt-cacher cache, sent it back to apt on c26 who stored it in it's cache.

What I think this implies is that I really need to schedule "apt-get clean" on ALL the machines, not just the server. Do you agree or did I miss a step to stop the client's 'apt-get' from doing local caching?

Thanx, Skip

PS: Uh... duh... maybe check "Delete downloaded packages after installation in Synaptic" in Settings -> Preferences -> Files tab? So why not do this on client and server? Wouldn't this eliminate the need for any scheduled "apt-get clean"?
    Last edited by Skip Da Shu; May 9th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
    - da shu @ HeliOS,
    "A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on an ability to afford it."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Da Shu View Post
    This was present back when I had the modified sources.list method and now with the proxy method (I deleted my log and access files when I changed to proxy method the other night). I am assuming it is complaining that it's running in deamon mode. I realize it's only a "warning" but I don't know why it's posting it all the time and don't know what to change to make it go away. Any suggestions?
    Have you checked your apt-cacher config? I'm running as a daemon and don't get those messages. Note that I don't use inetd; I run xinetd instead.
    What I think this implies is that I really need to schedule "apt-get clean" on ALL the machines, not just the server. Do you agree or did I miss a step to stop the client's 'apt-get' from doing local caching?
    Yes, you'll need to configure each client. Scheduling apt-get clean is certainly a fine way to do it. If you want to alter your APT config, it appears tat you can do that, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by man apt.conf
    Dir::Cache contains locations pertaining to local cache information, such as the two package caches srcpkgcache and pkgcache as well as the location to place downloaded archives, Dir::Cache::archives. Generation of caches can be turned off by setting their names to be blank. This will slow down startup but save disk space. It is probably prefered to turn off the pkgcache rather than the srcpkgcache. Like Dir::State the default directory is contained in Dir::Cache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Have you checked your apt-cacher config? I'm running as a daemon and don't get those messages. Note that I don't use inetd; I run xinetd instead.

Yes, you'll need to configure each client. Scheduling apt-get clean is certainly a fine way to do it. If you want to alter your APT config, it appears tat you can do that, as well.
    On the first... Ignorance... I don't know what either of these are and I think I'm running "stand alone" daemon mode. What should I be looking for. My apt-cacher.conf consists of:

Code:
    cache_dir=/mnt/netshare2/apt-cacher
    admin_email=skipatskipsjunkdotnet 
    group=root
    user=root
    allowed_hosts=192.168.xxx.xxx-192.168.xxx.xxx, 127.0.1.1
    denied_hosts=
    generate_reports=1
    clean_cache=1
    offline_mode=0
    logdir=/var/log/apt-cacher
    expire_hours=0
    use_proxy=0
    http_proxy_auth=proxyuser:proxypass
    use_proxy_auth=0
    limit=0
    debug=0

On the 2nd... I must have been adding my PS: about the time you responded. For some reason right now I can't find apt.conf... what/where is the apt config file at?

However, I'll guess the check box I referred to in my PS: does the same. ??
    - da shu @ HeliOS,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ignore the original version of this comment. I didn't see that there was a fourth page *headdesk*

Anyway, in response to your first question, I'm not sure why it's expecting inetd to be running. The only thing I can think of is that something in your configuration file is telling it to expect inetd to wake it, although I see nothing there. What's in /etc/default/apt-cacher?

In response to your first question, I only directed people to schedule a cache clean on the server since I think the cache is generally a good idea. It's part of the "APT way", I guess you could say. If you take your laptop away from your network, for example, it would be good to have your cache still intact, but the server is unlikely to ever become disconnected from itself, and so will always have access to the server cache. For the sake of space, it's one or the other.

As for the option in Synaptic, well, I didn't know it existed. I do most of my specific APT work from the command line: I'll use Add/Remove to browse programs available, and Synaptic if I'm looking for specific packages I don't know the name of. Thanks for the tip. I'll add it as soon as I find the configuration file option. I'm getting errors using the method mentioned above.
    Last edited by coolen; May 9th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans

For some reason right now I can't find apt.conf... what/where is the apt config file at?
    /etc/apt/apt.conf doesn't exist by default. But you can drop files in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d for the same effect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by coolen View Post
    Ignore the original version of this comment. I didn't see that there was a fourth page *headdesk*
    Huh?

Anyway, in response to your first question, I'm not sure why it's expecting inetd to be running. The only thing I can think of is that something in your configuration file is telling it to expect inetd to wake it, although I see nothing there. What's in /etc/default/apt-cacher?
    My /etc/default/apt-cacher only has the autostart turned on. The entire file:
    Code:
    # apt-cacher startup configuration file
    # IMPORTANT: check the apt-cacher.conf file before using apt-cacher as daemon.

# set to 1 to start the daemon at boot time
    AUTOSTART=1

# extra settings to override the ones in apt-cacher.conf
    # EXTRAOPT=" daemon_port=3142 limit=30 "
    There is a file, /etc/apt-cacher/apache.conf. I've never touched it and don't know what it's for. What does this do? Here it is:
    Code:
    Alias /apt-cacher /usr/share/apt-cacher/apt-cacher.pl

<DirectoryMatch /usr/share/apt-cacher/>
    	Options ExecCGI
    	AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    	AllowOverride None
    	order allow,deny
    	allow from all
    </DirectoryMatch>

In response to your first question, I only directed people to schedule a cache clean on the server since I think the cache is generally a good idea. It's part of the "APT way", I guess you could say. If you take your laptop away from your network, for example, it would be good to have your cache still intact, but the server is unlikely to ever become disconnected from itself, and so will always have access to the server cache. For the sake of space, it's one or the other.
    Oh yea, never thought about laptops and machines that might move. Good point. These things of mine tend to sit there until they become "replaceble", get taken apart, sold or become somebody's desktop upgrade and a new one comes it to take it's place.

Anywho... I took the root CRON entries off of ALL the machines. I wanna see if the Synaptic thing does what I think it's telling me it'll do. That would be the simplest for me. I'll keep in mind to not do this for anything portable (The wife's eeePC is still running Xandros and, btw, I guess they don't believe in updates. Bought it in February and only 1 BIOS update has showed up. The BIOS update will not apply anyway Thinking of converting it to Xubuntu).

As for the option in Synaptic, well, I didn't know it existed. I do most of my specific APT work from the command line: I'll use Add/Remove to browse programs available, and Synaptic if I'm looking for specific packages I don't know the name of. Thanks for the tip. I'll add it as soon as I find the configuration file option. I'm getting errors using the method mentioned above.
    I didn't know about it until last night.

What "method mentioned above" is giving you errors?

PS: Got me wondering now if this thing could cache and handle Xandros packages also... oh wait, they don't do updates except annually.
    Last edited by Skip Da Shu; May 10th, 2008 at 04:50 AM.
    - da shu @ HeliOS,

Beans

There is a file, /etc/apt-cacher/apache.conf. I've never touched it and don't know what it's for. What does this do?
    It appears to be Apache config in case you want to run apt-cacher as a CGI.

PS: Got me wondering now if this thing could cache and handle Xandros packages also... oh wait, they don't do updates except annually.
    If Xandros uses APT, then this would probably work. That way, you'll be ready for their annual updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    It appears to be Apache config in case you want to run apt-cacher as a CGI.

If Xandros uses APT, then this would probably work. That way, you'll be ready for their annual updates.
    So nothing to do with my messages:
    Code:
    Fri May  9 07:45:19 2008|INETD|info [17177]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Can I deleted the file then?
    - da shu @ HeliOS,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The method mentioned above was leaving Dir::Cache variables blank. Every apt-get from then on complained about a missing partial/ directory. The only other solution I found was to tell APT to clean the cache as part of it's post-upgrade, but this failed since there was still a lock on the process.

I'm looking for a solution everyone can use, but for now, I've put the Synaptic option up as an alternative.

As for apache.conf, that's intended for a setup I didn't cover in this guide. I see no reason you couldn't remove it. It may be related to the warnings, but I doubt it. Just back it up before you remove it, kay?
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast