Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

ok, dug a little deeper and found 2 settings for wifi in the bios. 1 to show that the card exists and the 2nd to activate the transceiver part. the transceiver was turned off on mine. turned it back on and we were good.

Beans

next "problem", I can't figure out how to get the screen to rotate. I tried the steps from here on how to do it, but it isn't working as far as I can tell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by internetauto View Post
    next "problem", I can't figure out how to get the screen to rotate. I tried the steps from here on how to do it, but it isn't working as far as I can tell.
    I did post an updated rotate script for maverick: http://linuxdeal.com/how-to-ubuntu-10.10-hp-tc1100

BTW If anyone wants to help me out you can submit your linux printer review. (Please please please!!) I want to make an all-Linux-compatible printer store.
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MyR View Post
    I did post an updated rotate script for maverick: http://linuxdeal.com/how-to-ubuntu-10.10-hp-tc1100

BTW If anyone wants to help me out you can submit your linux printer review. (Please please please!!) I want to make an all-Linux-compatible printer store.
    actually I was trying to use the tablet rotate button on the face, not the physical button on the side. that was what I did wrong

I'm not much help on the linux printer deal as I use HP printers exclusively through IP so not a good test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jasonofx View Post
    Anybody know if the wireless card in the TC1100 works with WPA in linux? I have a TC1100 and a TC1000, and the wireless works with WPA in Windows on both. However, the wireless on the TC1000 doesn't seem to work with WPA in linux, a driver issue. I'm asking because I'm keeping the TC1100 with Windows installed on it, but I'm putting Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook on the TC1000, and if the WPA works with the different model wireless card that's in the TC1100, I'll order one for the TC1000. (Confusing enough?)

Edit: Guess I could just USB boot the TC1100 and see if the WPA works. Answers are still very welcome, though.
    Wireless works fine with WPA/WPA2 on 10.10 and 11.04 (beta 2) on my TC1100.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    Wireless works fine with WPA/WPA2 on 10.10 and 11.04 (beta 2) on my TC1100.

Hi Graham,

Were you able to get Unity working with your TC1100? Is there a trick? I saw a window on first boot that claimed that video hardware was insufficient to run it, so it started up in classic mode. I can't get Compiz to start anymore and the upgrade removed Avant Window Manager. Also discovered there's a known bug with bluetooth not working correctly in 11.04. If you have any pointers on getting Unity going, I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks,
    R
    Randy Winchester
    PO Box 426074
    Cambridge, MA 02142

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Winchester View Post
    Hi Graham,
    Were you able to get Unity working with your TC1100? Is there a trick? I saw a window on first boot that claimed that video hardware was insufficient to run it, so it started up in classic mode. I can't get Compiz to start anymore and the upgrade removed Avant Window Manager. Also discovered there's a known bug with bluetooth not working correctly in 11.04. If you have any pointers on getting Unity going, I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks,
    R
    Hi Randy

Unfortunately, not Unity 3D (TC1100's use openGL 1.2 and not the required 1.4). However, Unity 2D is working fine (as it did in 10.10 also) having added the PPA manually. I haven't noticed any problems with Unity 2D yet but I guess it's still early days. Thanks for the info about bluetooth, I have tried this yet.

If your interested in Gnome 3, I've tried both openSUSE and Fedora live CD's on the TC1100's but had problems with both. openSUSE's display and graphics were messed up and Fedora wouldn't load to the desktop.

I guess the TC1100's are showing there age (graphically) now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    Hi Randy

Unfortunately, not Unity 3D (TC1100's use openGL 1.2 and not the required 1.4). However, Unity 2D is working fine (as it did in 10.10 also) having added the PPA manually. I haven't noticed any problems with Unity 2D yet but I guess it's still early days. Thanks for the info about bluetooth, I have tried this yet.

If your interested in Gnome 3, I've tried both openSUSE and Fedora live CD's on the TC1100's but had problems with both. openSUSE's display and graphics were messed up and Fedora wouldn't load to the desktop.

I guess the TC1100's are showing there age (graphically) now.

Running this might give you some more information.

Code:
    jim@jim-Satellite-L505:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string:   Tungsten Graphics, Inc
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:  2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity supported:          yes
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Running this might give you some more information.
    Hi Jim

My TC1100 displays the following:-

graham@tablet:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string: Nouveau
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI nv17 20091015 x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: no
    GL fragment program: no
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: no

Unity supported: no

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From this document

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Demystifying...reRequirements

The Open GL version needs to be 1.4 or higher and the proprietary nvidia drivers are recommended for you.

What drivers do you recommend?
    AMD GPUs:

Fglrx driver: We have had some issues with the fglrx driver but we have been able to resolve them. With the fglrx driver, you will be missing features such as Kernel Mode Setting (KMS).
    Open Source Radeon driver: can exhibit rendering artifacts on some systems. In the "System 3" configuration, Unity is not usable due to serious rendering issues.
    NVidia GPUs: Nvidia propietary drivers.
    Intel GPUs: Intel open source drivers.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast