View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 51.65%
  • No

38 20.88%
  • Somewhat

50 27.47%
Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards [Gutsy Gibbon]

Quote Originally Posted by devosion View Post
    No thats not the case. This is the same driver i've used before and its worked just fine before on my architecture, which is incidentally 64bit capable but I run it 32bit anyways.

And my question and problem has pretty much flown out the window because I was tinkering away with ndiswrapper and completely uninstalled it. Then when I reinstalled it and attempted
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper im getting a fatal message.

Perhaps if I didnt locate every single file and delete them all then I wouldnt be having this problem.

No biggie though because this is a brand new install of gutsy and I wont lose anything by reinstalling gutsy. Unless of course you know how I can get around the FATAL message im getting now.

Even if you cant answer my question its ok. In any case im going to get some rest now.
    The error message probably means that you have removed the 'ndiswrapper' package at some point. Why don't you reinstall it via Synaptic? Completely remove it if there are still files and dependencies and install it afterwards. That should fix your problem. That done start all over again. Would that fix it?

Beans

ok im getting a little problem here i tryed doing it with ndisgtk like i did the bc drivers but it says rt2500usb install hardware present:NO
    o@ubuntu:~$ gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    [sudo] password for aldo:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    ndiswrapper-common is already the newest version.
    ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo depmod -a
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    ndiswrapper
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -m
    module configuration already contains alias directive

aldo@ubuntu:~$ echo 'blacklist rt2500usb' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    blacklist rt2500usb
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i rt2500usb.inf
    driver rt2500usb is already installed
    o@ubuntu:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    rt2500usb : driver installed
    so thene tryed it this way and not working this i s m hardware info

it dosnt have anything for a device butmyinternet works its using a linux default driver zd1211rw
    say when i click my network bars at the topit says wireless networks {unknown usb device}

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aldo_m View Post
    ok im getting a little problem here i tryed doing it with ndisgtk like i did the bc drivers but it says rt2500usb install hardware present:NO
    o@ubuntu:~$ gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    [sudo] password for aldo:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    ndiswrapper-common is already the newest version.
    ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo depmod -a
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    ndiswrapper
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -m
    module configuration already contains alias directive

aldo@ubuntu:~$ echo 'blacklist rt2500usb' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    blacklist rt2500usb
    o@ubuntu:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i rt2500usb.inf
    driver rt2500usb is already installed
    o@ubuntu:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    rt2500usb : driver installed
    so thene tryed it this way and not working this i s m hardware info

it dosnt have anything for a device butmyinternet works its using a linux default driver zd1211rw
    say when i click my network bars at the topit says wireless networks {unknown usb device}
    Alright... First of all what hardware/wireless device have you got?

Then do a scan please, and post the results:
    sudo iwlist scan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    The error message probably means that you have removed the 'ndiswrapper' package at some point. Why don't you reinstall it via Synaptic? Completely remove it if there are still files and dependencies and install it afterwards. That should fix your problem. That done start all over again. Would that fix it?
    Well the way I uninstalled it was first I went through and ran 'locate ndiswrapper', and deleted all the files that came up. This was probably the worst way of doing things, and manually extensive, but I did it anyways. After I completed this I tried to reinstall ndiswrapper, but aptitude still showed the package as installed. So I ran aptitude and set it for uninstall, which it did.

At this point I ran a reinstall from aptitude and everything seemed to work just fine. But when I tried to run 'ndiswrapper -l', to see if ndiswrapper would return a message, that is when I received the fatal message about the module.

Im not at my computer right now, but when I get home I will try a reinstall again and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Fixed the problem. Just had to reinstall ndiswrapper manually. All that just cause I forgot to include the .sys file in the same directory as the .inf file.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by devosion View Post
    Fixed the problem. Just had to reinstall ndiswrapper manually. All that just cause I forgot to include the .sys file in the same directory as the .inf file.
    Yeah... I did fall into the same trap once as well. And that's why I mention it...

Beans

When I first did a fresh install of Gutsy, wifi did not work. Next, I tried the serialmonkey drivers with wicd utility, but this only worked with WEP/WPA off. So I reformatted the partition and reinstalled Gutsy. Then, my D-Link GW-122 Rev. B1 (RT2570) usb dongle started working and it works with WPA too.

Only thing that changed between my first and second install is my router settings: When I had the ssid hidden and mac filtering set to on, nothing worked. Now with the ssid broadcast and mac filtering off, wireless works in Gutsy.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kikos View Post
    When I first did a fresh install of Gutsy, wifi did not work. Next, I tried the serialmonkey drivers with wicd utility, but this only worked with WEP/WPA off. So I reformatted the partition and reinstalled Gutsy. Then, my D-Link GW-122 Rev. B1 (RT2570) usb dongle started working and it works with WPA too.

Only thing that changed between my first and second install is my router settings: When I had the ssid hidden and mac filtering set to on, nothing worked. Now with the ssid broadcast and mac filtering off, wireless works in Gutsy.
    They have replaced the drivers in the meantime... Good for you and a lot of other users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This method works great if I use roaming mode, but if I then go to manual configuration from network manager, enter all my details such as wep key, ip/gateway etc. etc.. it stops working.

This is a problem for me because I like to autologin and don't want to have to enter my keyring password every time I log on.

Can anyone shed some light on how I might be able to set manual configuration and get this all up and running?

Thanks in advance
    Code:
    EDIT: Ok, got it working by:

1) Going to Synaptic Package Manager, then, Settings -> Repositories -> Third Party Software
    2) Adding deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras
    3) Uninstalling network-manager and network-manager-gnome and installing wicd
    4) Restarting, firing up wicd and entering my settings there, hey-presto it works :-D

Can anyone tell me what wicd does that network manager doesn't?.....Just out of curiosity
    Last edited by dysphasi; December 4th, 2007 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dysphasi View Post
    This method works great if I use roaming mode, but if I then go to manual configuration from network manager, enter all my details such as wep key, ip/gateway etc. etc.. it stops working.

This is a problem for me because I like to autologin and don't want to have to enter my keyring password every time I log on.

Can anyone shed some light on how I might be able to set manual configuration and get this all up and running?

Thanks in advance
    Code:
    EDIT: Ok, got it working by:

1) Going to Synaptic Package Manager, then, Settings -> Repositories -> Third Party Software
    2) Adding deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras
    3) Uninstalling network-manager and network-manager-gnome and installing wicd
    4) Restarting, firing up wicd and entering my settings there, hey-presto it works :-D

Can anyone tell me what wicd does that network manager doesn't?.....Just out of curiosity
    The thing is that NM can only do DHCP, so you cannot use static leases which - I know - is rediculous. But NM just can't do. Therefore the emergence of WiCD which allows you to use static IP addresses.

Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast