View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 51.65%
  • No

38 20.88%
  • Somewhat

50 27.47%
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards [Gutsy Gibbon]

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Have you checked wicd? Works perfectly with feisty (I'm with gutsy on this laptop).
    I know it does, but I have been reluctant because I don't want to use a 3rd party tool as much as I appreciate their effort. I might have to resort to it though... It makes me furious that Canonical don't get a grip on it. Such a basic feature.

Thanks anyway, mate.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    I know it does, but I have been reluctant because I don't want to use a 3rd party tool as much as I appreciate their effort. I might have to resort to it though... It makes me furious that Canonical don't get a grip on it. Such a basic feature.

Thanks anyway, mate.
    Agreed
    And you're welcome!
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Do you run Feisty or Gutsy? I used to have these lockups in Dapper, but compiling the latest "ndiswrapper" from source did solve the problem later on. No more hanging.

Recently upgraded from feisty to gutsy in the hope wireless would improve. I used to be able to get it to work in feisty by editing the interfaces file... but that doesn't work anymore.

I must admit I really don't know what compiling the latest 'ndiswrapper' involves...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grovulent View Post
    Recently upgraded from feisty to gutsy in the hope wireless would improve. I used to be able to get it to work in feisty by editing the interfaces file... but that doesn't work anymore.

I must admit I really don't know what compiling the latest 'ndiswrapper' involves...
    Gutsy should not have such a problem. So I don't think it has anything to do with the package, but the driver, don't you think so? Gutsy works fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards [Gutsy Gibbon]

Hi, I'm using a card with the rt2500 chipset on Feisty and I'll upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon as soon as the stable version comes out, but I have a question, why using ndiswrapper when these chipsets are supposed to be fully supported in Ubuntu? You mean they don't work very well in Gutsy? (Feisty's default driver is working like a charm here, in spite of the fact I'm using a smp kernel on a core 2 duo machine).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post
    Hi, I'm using a card with the rt2500 chipset on Feisty and I'll upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon as soon as the stable version comes out, but I have a question, why using ndiswrapper when these chipsets are supposed to be fully supported in Ubuntu? You mean they don't work very well in Gutsy? (Feisty's default driver is working like a charm here, in spite of the fact I'm using a smp kernel on a core 2 duo machine).
    It is meant for those users that want to be able to use Network Manager or WICD. I suppose that you got it working through command line only, right?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I edited my /etc/network/interfaces file to my like and my wireless connection is working like a charm here. Thanks for clarify this to me, I was getting scared about the idea of using ndiswrapper

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post
    Yes, I edited my /etc/network/interfaces file to my like and my wireless connection is working like a charm here. Thanks for clarify this to me, I was getting scared about the idea of using ndiswrapper
    Yeah, I hate to use as well, but hey, no choice. Thanks for asking, I have updated the thread and highlighted the purpose of this thread. It was indeed misleading.

Beans

I'm using feisty fawn and tried this tutorial, followed it step by step, and WICD still won't connect for me!
    I'm using WEP if that makes any difference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Logarithymic View Post
    I'm using feisty fawn and tried this tutorial, followed it step by step, and WICD still won't connect for me!
    I'm using WEP if that makes any difference.
    Maybe you should open a new topic since this one is related to Gutsy Gibbon? Anyway, if you're using WEP, then it's fairly easy to connect to your AP; simply go to 'System>Administration>Network', select the wireless interface and click on properties, enter your settings there, then click on accept, check the checkbox at the left of your wireless interface (on the main window) and it should work.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast