Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: There is a scary discussion on the Ubuntu Developers mail list.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: There is a scary discussion on the Ubuntu Developers mail list.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
    For those who want this feature, there's Ubuntu. For those who don't, there's always the mothership Debian.
    Very true, just a little more time to get it done, but it still is the same thing underneath.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Maybe they'll not do it if they realize so many people are ready to jump ship just like that if they do it!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ryanVickers View Post
    Maybe they'll not do it if they realize so many people are ready to jump ship just like that if they do it!!!
    The thing is, Im quite happy with Ubuntu as it is now. I have invested a lot of time learning how to make it just as I want it. I guess if I did go to another distro I would choose a debian based one. I just hope that they dont do this to the next long term release. That way it would give plenty of time to look into other options.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The thing is, Im quite happy with Ubuntu as it is now. I have invested a lot of time learning how to make it just as I want it. I guess if I did go to another distro I would choose a debian based one. I just hope that they dont do this to the next long term release. That way it would give plenty of time to look into other options.
    I would go to Debian ... maybe Mepis ... Free BSD looks nice ... All in all it's very sad if Ubuntu turns into an empire like Microsoft.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hmm...

- The author of the letter is just one of the developers. His opinion does not represent the the dev's position. Thus, even though we do not have the privilege to voice out our concerns, I'm sure there will be always be at least one amongst their ranks that will.

Besides, the proposal was just at its beginnings. I don't think the correct flow to discuss it would include immediate inclusion of users. That in my opinion would be chaotic, and whatever valid points the proposal may have would likely be lost in the midst of repetitive opinions.

- While it's not exactly a threat right now due to the minor popularity of Ubuntu (and other distros) compared to the main competition- I share the author's belief that it will be a problem some time later in the future. Could be 5 years from now, or ten years, a century or so. It might not even be Ubuntu's problem (if another distro manages to supplant Ubuntu's lead and topples the other OS out there). Heck, even proponents from the other side use it as an argument and I've yet to find anything solid to counter that.

=====

On another note... How about you guys? Some of you are frequent here in this community. What's stopping you from creating a community-supported list of third party software and its sources/repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by the yawner View Post
    Besides, the proposal was just at its beginnings. I don't think the correct flow to discuss it would include immediate inclusion of users. That in my opinion would be chaotic, and whatever valid points the proposal may have would likely be lost in the midst of repetitive opinions.
    Ya, those pesky users might just say something that stops this dead in its tracks. Why listen to them, or let them voice an opinion.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Ya, those pesky users might just say something that stops this dead in its tracks. Why listen to them, or let them voice an opinion.
    Yes, but they can talk the talk, but I doubt they could walk the walk.

Beans

If this happens which it wont , I'd go to debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I read the article and the proposal doesn't frighten me. This seems a reasonable and worthwhile pursuit (from article):

Or to put it another way: the point of Ubuntu is to give users control
    over their own computers - that is, Freedom. Our job includes
    defending that control against those who would risk it in the name of
    temporary convenience.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The paranoia on this thread is something else...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast