Thread: There is a scary discussion on the Ubuntu Developers mail list.

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: There is a scary discussion on the Ubuntu Developers mail list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The developers know more than us dumb users on what should be easy to install. If I download a deb, I want to install it. It should be as easy as can be, since its my computer. I make the call as to what to install. Thats freedom.
    Actually, the original email to the mailing list made it clear that it would still allow you to override the clickthrough process so as not to limit power users (i.e., people like you, kilz; not "us dumb users").

I'll quote it for you, since you seem to pay attention to only parts of the email that would stir the most controversy and paranoia:
    What is of course also necessary is an ability for power users to
    specify additional third-parties without any blessing from Ubuntu.
    However *this facility must not to be accessible to naive users*.
    As I said before, this is a typical Gnome mentality: don't make it easy to deviate from the sensible defaults, but keep deviation as an available option for those who can be bothered. Just think about assigning keyboard shortcuts for commands that aren't already in System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Sure, it can be done, but it can't be done easily unless you know exactly what you're doing (and aren't intimidated by gconf-editor).

And, as I said before, I don't agree with the proposal, but it is by no means "scary." It's just a backwards way of approaching the problem (frontwards would be educating users, not thinking for them).
    Last edited by aysiu; October 2nd, 2007 at 04:47 AM.