Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do u like Xfce? or u have to use Xfce?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Do u like Xfce? or u have to use Xfce?

hello... I have been a ubuntu user for a long time and I thought of having some experience with Xfce and yep.. it seems cool. though i'm still thinking of using gnome for my usual computing, i like the way of Xfce..

So Xfce users, do u use Xfce it is because u like it or u have to use it( Old Hardwares) ? if you have some time, pls give some ideas.

Beans

Re: Do u like Xfce? or u have to use Xfce?

I started off using XFCE (xubuntu/slack 10) but i found it not worth my time and marginally quicker than gnome (if at all in Debian).

Gnome (possibly KDE) or *box for me. Seems xfce is stuck in the middle.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

I used it on a machine with only 256mb ram. Functionality wise its usable, if a little bit rough around the edges like mentioned. Speedwise is..meh. So So i say. I was expecting a lot more out of Xubuntu. Its not lighting speed, it just feels about as fast as regular Ubuntu. I guess that is the point of the distro but I was expecting ( admittedly overestimating ) performance like Puppy.

One huge beef on Xubuntu Feisty though: the installer tries to download some stupid language packages which might not seem like much but on a slow Cable connection ( 128k ) it took well over an hour and a half to download and breaks the installation if canceled who the hell though of that? You would think an installer would not abuse a present internet connection if its too slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Xfce both because I have to, Old Computer, and because I actually like it.

*Right click* Menu. I just love that.

On my computer Xfce is definitely faster than Gnome.

Would I put it on a newer computer? Debateable. I'd definitely have to think about it.

Monsieur Dozier

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I use Xfce 'cos it's more responsive than Gnome. But sometimes, I just wish it had a decent search utility though Kfind is good enough.

Beans

i use have both xfce and gnome on my system ..though gnome is my default DE . i someting try out xfce ..and one thing i like about it is that u can hide icons for mounted drives especially my ntfs partiton...beside that it doesnt seem as powerfull as gnome.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans

I used to use Xfce, see a thread called "Alternative DE and WM" or something like that, which I started, but have since moved on to Fluxbox.

I am probably going to stay with Fluxbox for a long time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have Xubuntu loaded on an older computer here with <256mb of ram. It run great IMO. I like how it comes with Abiword and Gnumeric over Openoffice. Zenwalk and Dreamlinux are both fun Xfce distros worth playing around with as well.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!

xfce is like a unitarian, to me. it's not as light as a box and it's a little sparse to be a desktop. i've come to think of unitarians as atheists who don't have the nerve to stop going to church.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I find that XFCE runs distinctively faster on my desktop than Gnome. I have a dual boot of both xubuntu and ubuntu and the boot times are about the same(roughly 10 second differential in favour of xubuntu) but there is a definite edge, in favour of xubuntu, when it comes to system responsiveness. Xubuntu flies and is lightning quick. Mine is an older machine. I can't think of removing it. Xfce was also great on Zenwalk and Mint Linux(XFCE version) when I tried them out.

Having said that, I just canl;t live without Gnome either so I dual boot both.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast