Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help out a CompSci Student!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Help out a CompSci Student!

Hey everybody!

I've finally embarked upon my final year of study in my Computer Science degree.... however I have a huge software engineering project to complete during the course of the year.

Most of the time they assign projects and problems to students, but if you have your own field or problem you wish to work in or upon they will allow that, as long as its challenging enough.

So here's my problem....

I want to develop something open-source, viable and useful to the community at large.....but I need some ideas....

My programming background is largely in web technolgies... XHTML, PHP, CSS, ASP, JScript etc etc.... but I have quite a bit of experience in more rigorous OO languages as well, including a heck of a lot of python i learned recently.

So help me out if you can, suggest ideas for projects!

(oh yeah and i need to decide by monday )
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans

Re: Help out a CompSci Student!

Just get them to give you an idea. They know what you are and are not capable of doing and hence its more likely of you getting a better mark. Marks >> open source software.
    Last edited by slimdog360; September 28th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

theres no worries there, I'm an extremely competent student, that and I always do best at what i'm passionate about
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Then shouldn't you come up with the idea yourself? No offense meant, but if we gave you the ideas you won't necessarily be passionate about it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How about adding working "text layers" to krita.

Krita is an exellent graphics program (like photoshop), but the only annoying thing in it is that, if you want to add text to an image, you can do it only one line at a time. And even then the text is added to the picture and not to a text layer, which could be edited later..

Even adding a possibility to put multiple lines to the same text field, would help a lot.

It might be partly possible to copy something from gimp
    Last edited by anaconda; September 28th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@anaconda :

i use krita myself and this sounds like a good idea, don't know if i will be allowed to develop uponing an existing project tho....

@aimran :

thats true, i might not be, but i AM passionate about open source and in the end i want to have something that the community can use, and anyways... i'm only looking for ideas...not answers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make a nice GUI based backup system for ubuntu systems.
    Some features reqd.
    1. Incremental backups
    2. Backup scheduling (not rigid but flexible)
    3. Writing direct to CD or DVD.
    4. Special features to backup, like only photos and music etc.
    5. System settings backup function, like if I want to save all my user settings for programs like firefox, amarock etc

Or if you want to go for an advanced program;

Make a GUI based SVG animator, that can import svg files from inkscape and animate them.

Or make a web based animation program that lets us animate svg on the website

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do a web-based Ubuntu admin management tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aimran View Post
    Then shouldn't you come up with the idea yourself? No offense meant, but if we gave you the ideas you won't necessarily be passionate about it
    Just because someone is passionate about something doesn't mean they shouldn't seek advice. I'm passionate about Pokemon battles, and I ask for advice and ideas sometimes.

I think one thing that Linux is missing is a decent QT\KDE-based blogging application. Maybe something along the lines of Drivel, but with a WYSIWYG editor, support for various features of blogging sites (tags, moods, etc...), and a note-taking part for those of us who keep notes of what we want to talk about (BasKet integration in Kontact comes to mind).

Another idea would be an academic organizer for keeping track of due dates, grades, assignments, and so on. Key features would include a calendar\planner, note taker, assignment tracker, and grade book. That's all I can think of right now in the feature department, though someone else might have something to add to it.
    FFfswm3adrsw A+ C- D H M P++ R T+++ W Z- Sm RLCT* a cdlnw++ d++ e+ f+ h* iwf+++ j++ p++ sm#
    My LiveJournal | My Flickr Photos | My DeviantArt
    Feel free to contact me using Jabber: bonesolteradyne@livejournal.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Do a web-based Ubuntu admin management tool.
    That I like...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast