Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Topics that may/will be included in this forum ***

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

*** Topics that may/will be included in this forum ***

It is not our goal in the Ubuntu Forums to eliminate discussions or silence people. In the past, we have closed threads on these topics simply because they have been discussed numerous times, and never with any sort of resolution.

This forum is a bit of an experiment. Instead of closing those threads, or moving them all into megathreads, we are going to move all discussions on the following topics, discussions that do not include any new insights or information, to this forum, where you can continue to discuss them, while those who are tired of seeing these topics discussed can ignore the conversations completely.

If you have a suggestion for a topic to be added, please post in this thread and we will consider it...no promises, though, and we may not answer every request, even though it will be read.

Problematic topics not currently listed in this thread will not be moved to this forum, but will instead be discussed and dealt with as needed among the staff. If new topics are added, they will also be added to the list.

Topics that may be included in this forum are the following enumerated elements in addition to any topic that is recurring, either during a long period of time or short, and doesn't have anything new to add to the subject.

Current Forum Topics:

• Linux is not ready for the desktop, Windows vs. Linux, or "Why doesn't Linux do things this way???"
    • GNOME vs KDE (or other desktop environments...if no new insights are being presented) and it's analog, will Ubuntu ever make KDE the default instead of Gnome.
    • vi vs emacs
    • Mono is good/bad/heaven-sent/evil
    • Should <name-Ubuntu-derivative-here> be allowed to exist?? (i.e. Ubuntu MW, Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition etc.)
    • Does Ubuntu need antivirus software?
    • The <beta> version of Ubuntu is not ready for release!!!!!!
    • How can we take something named $development_nickname seriously?
    • Ditch the default color scheme, and why don't you just learn to change your desktop theme like everyone else?
    • Naggy, whiney, or otherwise unhelpful "the developers should do X" sorts of posts that are not constructive in nature or "why don't the developers do things that are impossible and go against their own design goals?
    • My programming ideas/skills are better - Nah _mine_ are better - Doh, that's what I just said - Grr.. Show me your code - *Bang*
    • Google is taking over the world!
    • Ubuntu vs $OTHER and all rather meaningless comparisons of operating systems, they are different for a reason!
    Last edited by cariboo; May 17th, 2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added italics and bold to the paragraph before the list for emphasis, updated
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: *** Topics that may/will be included in this forum ***

Merge all the similar Automatix threads into one, for example pretty much all the threads here could be summarised in:

"Is Automatix a good piece of software?"
    "Automatix ethical?"

Also I don't see a KDE-GNOME flame-war, we really to separate that from the other threads to hide the immaturity we all have (even me), but I think it should be moderated, or maybe there should be a thread about KDE/GNOME with all opinion and uncited "facts" removed, and just compiled into one list of the Pros/Cons of each.

Probably being a bit ambitious or haven't spotted the flaw in this yet but just throwing out my opinions

Beans

...how about all of the Firefox/Opera browser debates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"Viruses for Linux" threads might be a good candidate for the list as well. The mega-thread is a bit daunting for anyone who honestly wants to know if they need an av scanner.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Red face Re: *** Topics that may/will be included in this forum ***

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    It is not our goal in the Ubuntu Forums to eliminate discussions or silence people. In the past, we have closed threads on these topics simply because they have been discussed numerous times, and never with any sort of resolution.

This forum is a bit of an experiment. Instead of closing those threads, or moving them all into megathreads, we are going to move all discussions on the following topics, discussions that do not include any new insights or information, to this forum, where you can continue to discuss them, while those who are tired of seeing these topics discussed can ignore the conversations completely.

If you have a suggestion for a topic to be added, please post in this thread and we will consider it...no promises, though, and we may not answer every request, even though it will be read.

Problematic topics not currently listed in this thread will not be moved to this forum, but will instead be discussed and dealt with as needed among the staff. If new topics are added, they will also be added to the list.

Current Forum Topics:
    • Linux is not ready for the desktop, Windows vs. Linux, or "Why doesn't Linux do things this way???"
    • GNOME vs KDE (or other desktop environments...if no new insights are being presented)
    • vi vs emacs
    • Automatix is good/bad/heaven-sent/evil/will-break-your-computer/no-it-won't
    • Should <name-Ubuntu-derivative-here> be allowed to exist?? (i.e. Ubuntu CE, Ubuntu ME, Linux Mist, etc.)
    I just realized you can post in this sticky

Typo above "LinuxMist" should be "LinuxMint",
    ...on the subject of other OS's like LinuxMint for example these could be placed in the megathread about the distro under the appropriate sub-furom; in this example Debian.

In fact LinuxMint already has a sticky thread under the Debian sub-forum, all LinuxMint threads could be merged there into a LinuxMint megathread:

reference:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299756

My other idea is in the "Other OS" forum is simply create a "Ubuntu derivatives" subforum and move all the Ubuntu derivative threads there. They are currently under Debian(and everywhere else) but there is enough Ubuntu derivatives to warrant it's own sub-forum.

The same kind of MegaThreads could theoretically be made for Firefox, Opera, Konqueror etc

A dedicated web browser forum with the perspective web browser sub-forums would be more helpful.

This would make it easier to navigate, for different subject matter within a subforum.

Also I started a thread here on this forum(Recurring Discussions):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...96#post3446096

I didn't realize this sticky was postable, please see the quote below from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    While the concept I understand and the intent worthy, placing it as a sub-forum on the top of the cafe makes it predominately displayed and creates a forced perspective to the recurring needless threads that it is meant to eliminate.

I have no beef with this, the problem is when I go to the user CP to turn this particular forum off, I don't see it listed.

Unless, I simply missed it?

If not already, can it be somehow edited so this particular forum as with all other forums can be turned off, if we choose not to see them?
    Last edited by RAV TUX; September 29th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I fixed the typo. Thank you.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

I'll reply to the other question in that thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Can we add discussions on antivirus to this sub forum ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    "Viruses for Linux" threads might be a good candidate for the list as well. The mega-thread is a bit daunting for anyone who honestly wants to know if they need an av scanner.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Can we add discussions on antivirus to this sub forum ?
    Added.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

@p_quarles

Lets see if we can support anti-virus questions by answering the OP, then closing the thread, and referring the endless debate here ?

I'll work on an antivirus "post closed".

Edit : How about this :

Anti-Virus scanning on Linux is of limited utility as there are no know linux viruses "in the wild" so there is essentially nothing to scan for.

In addition Antivirus is reactive, not proactive meaning it can not protect you from the next Linux virus until AFTER it is released, not before.

A potential use of linux antivirus is to "protect" windows or if you are running a mail server, and even then, IMO, Windows antivirus is better then Linux antivirus.

In the end, the choice is yours to make, but I would be willing to bet that the more experinece one has with Linux (Ubuntu) the less one feels the need for scanning / for viruses.

If you would like to learn a little about Ubuntu security, see this link :

Ubuntu Security

If you would like to discuss antivirus on linux, see this forum:

Recurring Discussions
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; October 2nd, 2007 at 01:43 AM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Are you thinking of trying to make this a sticky note, maybe in the servers/security forum? I think it's a good idea, and the note does a good job of covering the main points that many of us have repeated numerous times.

I can't close threads, obviously, but I'll certainly link to the correct forum.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast