Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux on Alienware!

Beans

Linux on Alienware!

I was comparing Mac vs. Alienware Notebooks and I came across an interesting thread on some random site. Apparently Alienware is gathering data through surveys on whether or not they should include the option to order your Alienware with Linux pre-installed. Awesome, right? Maybe this is old new, maybe it's not. I'm not just posting for the news update, though, I was hoping the community could help out and go to this link below:

http://www.alienware.com/Surveys/Ali...Id=29607129825

That is the link to the survey, which is very fast and simple. The more people who tell them how awesome Linux is, the better chances we have of another vendor/merchant selling Linux based systems. I hope everyone will chip in and do their part.

Beans

Red face Re: Linux on Alienware!

Quote Originally Posted by illuminaris View Post
    I was comparing Mac vs. Alienware Notebooks and I came across an interesting thread on some random site. Apparently Alienware is gathering data through surveys on whether or not they should include the option to order your Alienware with Linux pre-installed. Awesome, right? Maybe this is old new, maybe it's not. I'm not just posting for the news update, though, I was hoping the community could help out and go to this link below:

http://www.alienware.com/Surveys/Ali...Id=29607129825

That is the link to the survey, which is very fast and simple. The more people who tell them how awesome Linux is, the better chances we have of another vendor/merchant selling Linux based systems. I hope everyone will chip in and do their part.
    Alienware is owned by Dell, it's only natural that they would sell these systems with Linux also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux on Alienware!

Alienware is really overpriced. Otherwise I would consider them, cause the systems they have always look really nice and seem to be well constructed.

It would be really cool to have them sell Linux, but I don't see it working out for them unless they sell dual boots, cause most people that shell out that kind of cash are gamers and I can only see those users being disappointed.

On the other hand, maybe it would open the minds of those making games and show them that using OpenGL and doing Linux ports is really worthwhile. Too bad that really seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Alienware is owned by Dell, it's only natural that they would sell these systems with Linux also.
    Yep. And hopefully soon, Dell will offer Linux to Canadian customers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaxx View Post
    Alienware is really overpriced. Otherwise I would consider them, cause the systems they have always look really nice and seem to be well constructed.

It would be really cool to have them sell Linux, but I don't see it working out for them unless they sell dual boots, cause most people that shell out that kind of cash are gamers and I can only see those users being disappointed.

On the other hand, maybe it would open the minds of those making games and show them that using OpenGL and doing Linux ports is really worthwhile. Too bad that really seems like a pipe dream at the moment.
    Actually with WINE coming as far along as it has and their pro version CROSSOVER I run my app compatibility layer on my Dell XPS M1730 and Office, CS2, and WoW run fine. I am working on buying their m17x with the nVidia Quadro card because of the OpenGL support and I expect it to do great!

Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Linux on Alienware!

About three weeks ago, I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 on an Alienware M17-R1 laptop. Everything works fine EXCEPT the ATI graphics driver...so, no compiz When I loaded the restricted driver, it screwed it up. Didn't think I'd ever get that straightened out. All is well now and the owner is very happy!

As a matter of fact, just this evening, I reduced the Win partition and let Ubuntu have almost the entire 250 GB drive. Man that system flies with 9.04!

Thanks!
    Allen
    Ubuntu...set your computer free!
    Linux User: 216754
    Alabama

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have 8.10 running on an 'old' Alienware Sentina, everything works fine.
    I actually use it for work sometimes.

I have to say though, Alienware laptops are so not worth it. A few days after I bought it, my friend walked past me as I was sat on the sofa using it, caught her foot in the cable - and it dropped off my lap to the floor (literally like 1 foot or so) and it cost £600 to repair!!
    All that was wrong, was that the button on the case wasn't pressing the power button in under the case. Stupid eh?

I've had it now for a couple of years, and about the only good thing I can say about it, is that the screen is really nice. But the computer itself is really shoddy. Build quality isn't great either.

I like the idea of getting Linux pre-installed on hardware. But you don't have to get a Dell one. You can google search for loads of vendors. Here in the UK there are a few that sell Linux desktops/laptops & I buy from them when I need a new computer
    Disclaimer: Yes I usually talk crap

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Because Alienware targets gamers, who can't play their favorite games as good as on Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Swarms View Post
    Because Alienware targets gamers, who can't play their favorite games as good as on Windows?
    Because Alienware targets geeks too, who can find a way to play their games under linux.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I can't think of many geeks who would pay twice as much, rather than build their own machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast