Thread: gedit snippets

Beans

gedit snippets

Hey guys

I just installed Ubuntu, loving it!
    I am doing PHP/XHTML programming and quite like gedit. I am coming from a Mac background, programming in Textmate which is awesome.

The question I have is about gedit and snippets. Are snippets linked to certain files? I.e. do HTML snippets work in .php files? I can't seem to get the HTML snippets to work in a PHP file

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: gedit snippets

Yes, snippets are linked to certain file... If you have PHP file, you may use php snippets, if you use html, you may use html snippets... Maybe there is some trick for doing what you want..
    If you will ever know post this here please...

Beans

Ye, it only makes sense to mix PHP and HTML since they are often mixed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nduplessis View Post
    Hey guys

I just installed Ubuntu, loving it!
    I am doing PHP/XHTML programming and quite like gedit. I am coming from a Mac background, programming in Textmate which is awesome.

The question I have is about gedit and snippets. Are snippets linked to certain files? I.e. do HTML snippets work in .php files? I can't seem to get the HTML snippets to work in a PHP file

Regards,
    the snippets work by looking at what your highlight mode is if it is php it offers you php snippets if it is html highlight mode it gives you html...
    you might use the quick highlight mode plugin or you can copy the html snippets to php snippet file.
    (the file is located in /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins/snippets/) they are an xml files that have form:
    Code:
    <snippet>
    <text>Here goes the text of the snippet</text>
    <tag>tag_here</tag>
    <description>a name for your snippet..</description>
    </snippet>
    I guess as long as you have non-coliding tags you can just copy (append) content of html.xml to php.xml (or vice versa) and mix them up as you like..
    registered as user #416699 with the Linux Counter
    how to convert avi to DVD in Ubuntu

Beans

Is there a way to change the key binding from Tab to something else? I am using the Word Completion plugin (http://users.tkk.fi/~otsaloma/gedit) that also uses Tab key to insert words and so it prevents Snippets from working properly.

Edit: To rephrase: is there a way to use both Snippets and Word Completion without those two intereffering with each other?

Cheers
    Last edited by rudasn; June 2nd, 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Beans

if you go here

Code:
    /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins/snippets
    You will see many .xml files which are where snippets are saved.
    For merging html and php snippets there are two ways

Just open html.xml file and copy all the snippets in the php.xml one.

Pay attention:
    1. you need root privileges for editing php.xml
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins/snippets/
    gksudo gedit php.xml
    2.just copy nodes marked as <snippet> such as this
    Code:
      <snippet id="doctype">
        <text><![CDATA[<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    	"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    ]]></text>
        <description>HTML — 4.01 Strict</description>
        <tag>doctype</tag>
      </snippet>
    do not copy the root tag <snippets language="HTML"> and its closing counterpart </snippets> at the end of the file

1. make a copy of the original html.xml file and rename it i.e. html-for-php.xml
    2. in the copy change the attribute in the root snippets tag so this
    Code:
    <snippets language="HTML">
    becomes
    Code:
    <snippets language="PHP">
    if you restart gedit it will read both php.xml and html-for-php.xml files as snippet repositories for .php files

--- UPDATE
    Sorry, I came here after a Google search which brought me to an Archive page for this topic and I am new t this forum, so I didn't see that Kane77 had already answered the question.
    Last edited by nimxor; January 25th, 2009 at 02:05 AM.

Beans

Old thread, new note.

Had the same problem - Always wanting to switch between server side, JS, HTML, CSS.

I use this http://empty.23inch.de/pmwiki.php/Main/EditShortcuts to bind the language to a shortcut key e.g. I use ctrl+alt+j for Javascript, ctrl+alt+h for html.

Works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: gedit snippets

Quote Originally Posted by nduplessis View Post
    The question I have is about gedit and snippets. Are snippets linked to certain files? I.e. do HTML snippets work in .php files? I can't seem to get the HTML snippets to work in a PHP file.
    Define the snippets you want to use everywhere as "Global" so you can use them in whatever file mode you're using gedit. The Global section should appear at the top of the list in the left pane of the Snippets Manager. For example, I've defined a snippet called "Lorem ipsum copyblock" that injects the following Latin text:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

To use it, I type the Tab trigger
    Code:
    Lorem<Tab>
    and gedit squirts it into the file. It's useful in a number of situations when I need to quickly generate a block of gibberish text for testing purposes.
    Last edited by Andrew_P; September 2nd, 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add'l thought
    IBM ThinkCentre 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 µP, 1.5GB RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA drive.
    I support Idea #23505.
    "A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." — St. Francis of Assisi