Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The passion that is hatred!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs down The passion that is hatred!

As an old fox in an old game I find it really entertaining that Steve Jobs are becoming as impopular as Bill Gates... This is something for Google trends...

I've come to realise that the Linux fan in general can be described as the proverbial underdog, by choice or by nature, and one outlet is describing mainstream as wrong and ugly... In here we're all pseudo-anarchists.

So for example; Anarchists (or Hip-Hop'ers, Skaters, you name the subculture) in general dress differently compared to the mainstream population, but as a group they dress very similarly, making it mainstream, but only in that particular group of individuals.

Mac-users are in them self a subculture. With MacOS having only 3% of the global OS market, it makes Apple, as a manufacturer of operating systems, tiny. Due to genius marketing they always stood out in a crowd though, and the Mac/MacOS users were very proud to be members of this very exclusive club.

Linux users are of coarse similar to MacOS users, but even more so as one need to be quite computer literate to run Linux, editing configuration files manually a.s.o...

So as the iPod quadrupled Apples earnings, Vista is generally considered crap, Apple as a underdog becomes "king of the land" and the club isn't very exclusive any more. But Linux still were...

Now that is about to change. Linux distros as Ubunto have reached a level where they are comparable with Windows and MacOS when it comes to ease of installation and use. You don't need to be a hacker to run them anymore... And the exclusivity vanishes over night...

So where does a linux-anarchist-type-user go from there? The status of being the proverbial underdog with an ace up his sleeve is sliding away fast...

I wonder what the future holds for the Linux-anarchists. What will the selfmade it-pro's in here do when Linux is as mainstream as Windows... Where will we turn? Who will we hate? Perhaps Richard Branson is up next?

My guess is that it's the one of us that makes a billion or two from knowing Linux. He's gonna be the Bill Gates for the next generation... Let's call that an educated guess too...

Cheers/Johnny-Boy

This post is a compilation of two similar posts regarding Win vs OSX-users and comparing it all with Linux... =)
    -"Anybody who supports the death penalty should be shot!" (www.banksy.co.uk)

Beans

Re: The passion that is hatred!

I'm just a guy who wants my computer to boot up quickly and have no spyware Richard Branson did screw up NTL though :-p

Beans

I can't figure out what your point is.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may need to get a bit of a life though, I mean it's one thing to believe in things passionately; it's quite another to only use them because they are exclusive.

No one is a winner because they choose to loose and a society is not built out of exclusive clubs.

$ rm /rectum/head
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I downloaded PCBSD yesterday, maybe time to become a new sort of geek?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post

$ rm /rectum/head
    lol!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beyond2moro View Post
    I downloaded PCBSD yesterday
    How is it? Did it go smoothly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs down Re: The passion that is hatred!

Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    I can't figure out what your point is.
    Well my point, if any, is to giggle about the nature of things. I have no agenda, I just saw something and needed to analyze it. I'm not making a statement of any kind, this was more a contemplation...

I saw a trend; People now dislike Steve Jobs and thats new to me. Jobs has always been an underdog hero - but it get's interesting when the hero goes from underdog to mainstream.

If Linux should suddenly grow to be the mainstream OS and Microsoft were to remain in the background, holding just a few procent of the market; Would the Microsoft users praise Gates as an underdog and fight against the GNU? That thought makes me giggle a bit...

...but I'm not complaining or anything, rather Linux going mainstream than veganism, Klu Klux Klan or techno-music - to name a few...
    -"Anybody who supports the death penalty should be shot!" (www.banksy.co.uk)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't understand why they hate Jobs. If people are willing to pay for his overpriced mp3 players or macs because they look cool, then let them.

Apple does not show the same flaws that we see with Microsoft. Their OS is arguably the best there is, because it can be used by everybody and does not suffer from the windows problems. They don't use FUD, they don't promise the best os ever and then releases Vista. Their hardware is high quality and won't die from overheating.

Seems like people jumping on Jobs and Apple just wants to pull down the current top dog, no matter who that is.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by farmfield View Post
    blah blah blah...
    Didn't read your post yet (but will as soon as I write this), just wanted to commend your excellent choice of avatar. I'm still riding my lowly Z5 from like 6 years ago, but hopefully will upgrade to a Z1 or a DJ soon. I love 'zocci forks
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast