Thread: first month of total ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

first month of total ubuntu

ok so ive had ubuntu running for a month as my primary os. i still have xp installed but haven't touched it since i installed ubuntu, i find it painful to leave ubuntu. its been a great experience i have learned alot thanks mostly to this forum, where i found more than i have needed, making it so easy to migrate. over..

since i started running ubuntu i find 50% of my daily visited pages are linux related. i have also encouraged my little brother to give it a go, haven't had the chance to set it up for him yet though.

anyway i thought id just post this to say thanks to the community here. also id like to know how your first month or so was using linux, was it painful and full of problems or hassle free?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: first month of total ubuntu

Really glad to hear that your enjoying your Linux experience.
    My first month of total Ubuntu was great.
    I learnt loads and as I decided to wipe XP from my work laptop and install Ubuntu I had no choice but to learn and to get applications I needed for work to function under Ubuntu.
    For example, PcAnywhere, VPN, Citrix, VNC, Remote Desktop.
    When I first started using Ubuntu back in 2005 many of the above app's / functions didn't work out of the box and required lots of fiddling.
    I am happy to say that now, VPN, VNC, RDP work out of the box and the PcAnywhere and Citrix installs have improved vastly, so hat's off to the software developers and Symantec and Citrix.
    If only more software companies embraced Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad to hear your experience with Linux in general has been good. I had a similar state of affairs coming back to Linux after an nine year hiatus. Much had changed and I was a little lost from the prior time using Linux (use it or lose it thing). I've been able to convince my parents to use Linux on their systems since they don't play any games. My youngest son is playing with Linux and finding it very easy to use. My oldest son still has his reserves about it but I'm sure he will come around as well. I'm back in Linux now... and I'm not leaving. The only thing that would make me leave Ubuntu as my primary desktop Linux is if Canonical made a deal with Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I learnt loads and as I decided to wipe XP from my work laptop and install Ubuntu I had no choice but to learn and to get applications I needed for work to function under Ubuntu.
    lol, i'm surprised your IT dept. lets you get away with that.