Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Disappoints, Breaks Promises With Rapid Growth

Beans

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Disappoints, Breaks Promises With Rapid Growth

melodramatic but he has a point: its ridiculous that upgrading breaks networking so easily

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Perhaps the distinction between regular releases and LTS releases could be made clearer. Especially how stable the regular releases are supposed to be - for example, the bash/dash issue showed that Ubuntu is willing to have a lot of breakage in 'stable' regular releases, more than would be acceptable in other distros I believe.

Beans

so some new brand new features may have a bug? cry me a river. this is based on debian unstable and meant to be more cutting edge. isn't that the point? i would rather have the features in the relese and fix it as the bugs are found. if it were found a vista feature has a minor bug, it wouldn't even make news. i'm not saying we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard, but the migration assistant shouldn't be enough for an entire article.
    chuck norris can divide by zero.
    chuck norris can beat a brick wall at tennis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nonewmsgs View Post
    but the migration assistant shouldn't be enough for an entire article.
    you obviously didn't read the whole article.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is an old beef of mine. Ubuntu Quality control needs some proper attention. There has been a lot of talk in this area but little real action. It seems to me that there needs to be an organized effort to test releases on as wide a set of hardware as possible and that breakages need to be taken more seriously by developers. I have had two serious bugs in Launchpad for several months both of which have been reported by many other users. Still no fixes for gutsy.

It is one thing to release shiny new stuff (compiz etc) but if the basic user experience is sometimes negative because of usability problems then all that good work on publicity is destroyed.
    Last edited by kleeman; September 27th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i still believe the biggest gripe among new users and um, probably old users too, is the lack of wireless simplicity. not saying it's super simple in windows, but it certainly is easier. aLOT of people are going wifi these days.

Beans

Judging by the titles of other reports on that site I would say that user/site complains about alot of Linux related stuff and is anti-everything. It's also full of ads.

The great thing about Ubuntu is that you can easily choose which network manager you want to use. Most operating systems dont even let you change your network manager.

Ubuntu is updated regularly, that's true and I'm glad because I would hate to see progression from stopping. Sure there will always be new things added that dont work properly, but there's clear guidance on the Ubuntu site which version of Ubuntu are long term releases that will be supported ofver a long period of time. Short term releases are about finding and using new technologies. Then the good things can be finalised and stablised for the LTS. If you're looking for stability use Dapper LTS, not an STS version of Ubuntu like Edgy or Fiesty, and certainly not a development version like Gutsy. I think the Ubuntu website is quite clear about that.
    Last edited by Johnsie; September 27th, 2007 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wifi has come a long way since Ubuntu first came out, more cards are being supported and getting them to work is becoming a lot easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i still believe the biggest gripe among new users and um, probably old users too, is the lack of wireless simplicity. not saying it's super simple in windows, but it certainly is easier. a LOT of people are going wifi these days
    I work as a telephone tech support agent for a major broadband DSL provider, and I would estimate that at least 30-40% of my calls involve assistance with configuring wireless connections. EVERYONE is going wireless.

Windows does make wireless configuration fairly simple and people still struggle with it. Admittedly, about half of the the people that call me for wireless support could have done it on their own had they bothered to READ anything, but the other half are genuinely technology ignorant and are calling because they don't know the first thing about it. Windows makes it pretty simple for even the most tech-challenged person to get connected wirelessly.

Ubuntu wireless support needs a lot of improvement in comparison. Not necessarily on the software front, but on the device recognition and driver support front. If I had to assist a tech-challenged Ubuntu user on the phone with configuration of a wireless device that didn't work out of the box, I'm almost positive it would take hours to get it working, if I was able to do it over the phone at all.

So yes, I agree. The folks at Canonical need to focus a lot of energy on improving wireless support.

*steps down from soapbox*
    Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
    Adventures In Linux

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast