Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Should I buy a mac?

I'm thinking of buying a new mac desktop. If I were to I would go for the 24 inch dual-core with the radeon 2600hd. I don't play games anymore and I can run Ubuntu fine on it, right?

So - should I? It will cost a little more but considering the large lcd screen and the hardware it is far from the horrible price difference of the past. I can build a pretty computer, but I'd like to try Leopard, and if I don't like it I can easily stick with Ubuntu.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans

Re: Should I buy a mac?

they're nice, but expensive. apple does make a good OS.
    chuck norris can divide by zero.
    chuck norris can beat a brick wall at tennis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Build yourself a pc and then put osx86 (check for compatibility before buying) it will be cheaper, but im biased : ) ---> That's what i did.
    <plexr> do you know std c++ ?
    <plexr> or is a weak understanding of VB your only strength
    <ahorse_> oohhhhh he just said the equivalent of *yo momma*
    www.acgla.net <--- My webpage : )

Beans

Red face Re: Should I buy a mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a new mac desktop. If I were to I would go for the 24 inch dual-core with the radeon 2600hd. I don't play games anymore and I can run Ubuntu fine on it, right?

So - should I? It will cost a little more but considering the large lcd screen and the hardware it is far from the horrible price difference of the past. I can build a pretty computer, but I'd like to try Leopard, and if I don't like it I can easily stick with Ubuntu.

Q: So - should I?
    A: No.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

As much as I don't like certain aspects of Apple, there are some pros for sure.

It is essentially a small form factor machine - no tower etc.
    It is built on Unix
    You can run virtually any OS on them now with bootcamp or parallels.

I still think they are a little bit overpriced, though. And the one button mouse is silly. I think every Mac user except Steve Jobs tosses it and buys a regular mouse!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    As much as I don't like certain aspects of Apple, there are some pros for sure.
    No. Just like that, No that is not correct. There are some hype that is pushed yes but not pros.

It is essentially a small form factor machine - no tower etc.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=

It is built on Unix
    You can run virtually any OS on them now
    That is true for what, the entire ibm-pc platform, you know, the one apple now uses since their own hardware was junk How long has Lilo and/or Grub have been doing that for, years?

I still think they are a little bit overpriced, though.
    A little? You can build two systems equal or better with their prices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like the macs, but personally I would opt for building my own machine...you can do it for a cheaper price, and you are able to research and buy only the parts that you KNOW will work with Linux. In addition, while the mac "looks" pretty, it is difficult to upgrade given its shape and size....just something to consider....good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I knew I'd get flamed

Dimitriid:
    Those small form factor machines do not nearly compare to the mac design. Sorry, but they don't. They have a separate monitor and case.

The one OS that you really can't run on any other platform is the OSX, that was my only point. There are hacks, but they don't work as well as the original.

And I don't have a mac, and wouldn't purchase one myself, but I am not blind to its benefits due to an irrational hatred of the company.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Everyone pretty much agrees Maybe I'll look into building a computer in a htpc case instead. They can get pretty cool.

Thanks.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just bought myself one when my laptop with Ubuntu had a hard drive failure and I had to send it for repairs. I had been planning on getting a mac as I'm studying Multimedia Design and therefore I need lots of video, sound and graphics applications that are not available for Linux. (Yes, I can actually do great part of the tasks with Linux apps, but not everything, and I need to be able to use industry standard apps as well). So I need to have one machine running either Windows or OSX, and I don't really see Windows as option any more..

Honestly, after one week of only having a mac it's really getting on my nerves. I'm really missing package management and Gnome desktop. And all the programs I love to use. There is no good virtual desktop solutions around, and OSX has practically zero configuration options. Everybody who says Gnome lacks features probably has never used a mac

And I hate having to search around the net trying to find software to add the features I need, just to find out that even if there's anything available it's shareware and costs 20$, and I can't buy it anyway as I don't have a credit card (not that I would ever use one to buy software from some unknown one-man company).

Yes, there is command line. The file system just is quite different, and about half the commands I'm used to having are missing.

And yes, you can get apt-get on a mac, It's just that there isn't much you can actually install with it. Imagemagick was pretty much the only useful thing that was available as binary package.

All that said the iMac is very cool piece of hardware, and as soon as I get my laptop back to use for my everyday tasks I suppose I'll be happy to do my video editing with the mac. At least much happier than I would be if I'd be doing it with Windows Vista

I'd say get a mac if you need it for something you can't do with Linux. But if you are just going to run Linux you'd spend your money better getting a normal PC. Unless of course you like the look of mac machines enough to pay high price for it.

By the way, rsambuca, all new macs actually have a 5-button mouse. It just doesn't look like one
    Last edited by mcduck; September 27th, 2007 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast