Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should an MP3 player include OGG support?

Beans

Why should an MP3 player include OGG support?

I was talking to some people on another forum about mp3 players. I mentioned to get one that supports ogg. His response was:

^What does it matter if my MP3 player doesn't play ogg? WMA and MP3 are perfectly fine with me and haven't cost me any extra dollars...
    And my followup to that was:

Because it shows where the heart of the company is. It costs a company NOTHING to include ogg support. It is a free format. To include mp3 playback support on a device you will have to play royalties to Alcatel-Lucent. To include playback support for wma you will will have to pay royalties to microsoft. So why would a company disregard a free format and go with ones that they have to pay for? Because they are in cahoots with these other companies, the money that they pay to them gets reinvested back into the parent company. The parent company gets more money while the market gets flooded with restricted crap codecs and formats thus bringing more money and investment to the company of the licensed format. This is wrong and makes for a very UNPLEASANT computing environment.

Screw mp3, screw wma and wmv, divx, and screw screw screw quicktime
    Did I get it right?
    Last edited by esaym; November 3rd, 2007 at 05:30 AM.
    MS gonna get ya

Beans

Re: Why should an MP3 player include OGG support?

Sounds good. Don't many MP3 players have OGG support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Sounds good. Don't many MP3 players have OGG support?
    Not really.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mostwanted View Post
    Not really.
    That doesn't make sense...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

they should have ogg support because it is a better compression than mp3 - it produces lower sized files whilst keeping the same sound quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quoting from your post:
    Because it shows where the heart of the company is. It costs a company NOTHING to include ogg support. It is a free format. To include mp3 playback support on a device you will have to play royalties to Alcatel-Lucent. To include playback support for wma you will will have to pay royalties to microsoft. So why would a company disregard a free format and go with ones that they have to pay for? Because they are in cahoots with these other companies, the money that they pay to them gets reinvested back into the parent company. The parent company gets more money while the market gets flooded with restricted crap codecs and formats thus bringing more money and investment to the company of the licensed format. This is wrong and makes for a very UNPLEASANT computing environment.

Screw mp3, screw wma and wmv, divx, and screw screw screw quicktime
    It does cost money to use ogg. They have to pay developers to program in the functionality, and if they are most likely using a generic type of firmware which only supports mp3 and wma, then they are not going to shell out more money for a format that few people use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't many MP3 players have OGG support?
    Unfortunately, no.

The last time I bought an "MP3" player, I really wanted an OGG player. I did some research and found that the company iRiver made some so-called "MP3 players" that also supported WMA and OGG. Bingo. That's what I bought. There are other companies that offer OGG support, I believe.

Unfortunately, most players only focus on MP3 and WMA support. The reason is simply because MP3 was the first popular audio compression format and is widely used in the world. Companies would rather put product development effort toward something that "everybody" uses. Now most legal music download services offer WMA files and that's the reason why a lot of MP3 player also support WMA out of the box.
    Last edited by mjitkop; September 26th, 2007 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Unfortunately, this falls into similar territory as OEM bundling a certain OS w/ their systems. It's up to them to decide what their hardware includes/supports. It's up to the customer to purchase said product, if the majority of your customer-base doesn't want/need it, it's very likely that said function(odd support in your case) will likely be left out until the manufacturer finds it worthy of being added. Doesn't make sense, leaving out a free, nice quality/size ratio format, but some things just don't make sense. =p
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

Rage3d has some very close minded members, I used to post there regularly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
    Rage3d has some very close minded members, I used to post there regularly.
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but that place is definitely different
    Last edited by esaym; September 26th, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
    MS gonna get ya

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast