Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon has DRM free music store?

Beans

Amazon has DRM free music store?

http://amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_dmus...pf_rd_i=507846

Since when has this been the case?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Re: Amazon has DRM free music store?

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post

Since when has this been the case?
    It says beta, so not long.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think that it is brand new. I read in gizmodo that it just launched today and it is in beta. As far as I know they have music from Indie labels, Universal and EMI, and they don;t have them all yet, but should soon. I am having a hard time searching for specific artist, but I am sure they will fix this. I am happy about this since it shows that we are moving in the right direction when it comes to music and now I have a store Ic anuse inside Linux even though I am havinig a hard time using Konqueror, I'll try firefox later.

Ok it seems that it was not a konqueror problem
    If you use Linux, you can currently buy individual songs. A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases
    Last edited by tikal26; September 25th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This looks promising. I know I'd use it (if I can find songs I want...)

Glad to see they're going to make a Linux version of the installer as well for albums.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

As soon as the Linux program is available I'll buy a few albums. $8 each for mp3 albums encoded at 256kbps VBR is a good deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This looks nice. I may use it for downloading mainstream music, since I use eMusic and Magnatune for everything else.

I also like the first graphic, which truly explains that the music is completely DRM-free. It has an ipod, zune, rio player, etc etc all down the line... kind of a cool marketing ploy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been waiting for this since they announced the plans back in June (I think). I'm glad to see that they've made good on the DRM-free promise.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The ideal wouod be for them to create some kind of API and let the developers of players like Amarok integrate it on their platfrom. It seems to be based on web technologies so it would not be too hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tikal26 View Post
    If you use Linux, you can currently buy individual songs. A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases
    I tried downloading individual songs and I was getting the AMZ files instead of the mp3...can someone else verify this? Or are you getting mp3 files? I'm using Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wow this looks promising. I hope this last.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast