Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UUID is getting on my nerves!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation UUID is getting on my nerves!

Ok, this UUID stuff is getting on my nerves! Let me say I have little understanding of this UUID stuff, and the more I run into it, the less I want to know about it. It has messed me up restoring my system from a .tar.bz2 file, now with the latest kernel update it left my system un-bootable. It seems to always mess up my system in the menu.lst in my /boot/grub folder. I had to go back in and change it from the incorrect UUID number it had inserted and put /dev/sda1 - /dev/sda1 doesn't change!!! But with every install or every major change to the system the UUID does change. So when I mess up my system and have to re-install and then restore my tar backup file of the system file, it really messes up the UUID numbers because my restore file has a different number than the new install has!!! /dev/sda1 doesn't change! It will always be /dev/sda1 for me, and not change, but this UUID changes everytime!! ARGGGH, is there anyway to convince Ubuntu to leave the UUID stuff, or change my system to not use it? Am I the only one fighting with this UUID stuff?

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: UUID is getting on my nerves!

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Ok, this UUID stuff is getting on my nerves! Let me say I have little understanding of this UUID stuff, and the more I run into it, the less I want to know about it. It has messed me up restoring my system from a .tar.bz2 file, now with the latest kernel update it left my system un-bootable. It seems to always mess up my system in the menu.lst in my /boot/grub folder. I had to go back in and change it from the incorrect UUID number it had inserted and put /dev/sda1 - /dev/sda1 doesn't change!!! But with every install or every major change to the system the UUID does change. So when I mess up my system and have to re-install and then restore my tar backup file of the system file, it really messes up the UUID numbers because my restore file has a different number than the new install has!!! /dev/sda1 doesn't change! It will always be /dev/sda1 for me, and not change, but this UUID changes everytime!! ARGGGH, is there anyway to convince Ubuntu to leave the UUID stuff, or change my system to not use it? Am I the only one fighting with this UUID stuff?

Shane
    Cant you change the UUID to /dev/<disk> manually? I did that to my swap and it works
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

If you don't like it, don't use it. It has some very important benefits. Imagine if you had to boot from an external HD. Depending on the order the drives were plugged in, your grub entries would be off each time. By giving each drive a UUID instead of the /dev/sd** notation, you can maintain consistency.

Of course if you do stuff like rolling out a new image onto new partition, the UUID will have changed (it is specific to the partition, not the data/OS on the partition. If you do not like UUID or have a use for it, you can easily change your fstab and menu.lst back to the /dev/sd** notation. Also, you can give partitions labels. This works liek UUIDs, but you can manually set them So if you restore a .tgz of Ubuntu, you can give the new partition the same label as the previous one, thus avoiding the UUID conundrum.

I hope this helps... I personally despise UUIDs as well, but they do have their uses. I wish Ubuntu would use labels instead as they accomplish the same thing but are easier to work with, but w/e.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    If you don't like it, don't use it. It has some very important benefits. Imagine if you had to boot from an external HD. Depending on the order the drives were plugged in, your grub entries would be off each time. By giving each drive a UUID instead of the /dev/sd** notation, you can maintain consistency.

Of course if you do stuff like rolling out a new image onto new partition, the UUID will have changed (it is specific to the partition, not the data/OS on the partition. If you do not like UUID or have a use for it, you can easily change your fstab and menu.lst back to the /dev/sd** notation. Also, you can give partitions labels. This works liek UUIDs, but you can manually set them So if you restore a .tgz of Ubuntu, you can give the new partition the same label as the previous one, thus avoiding the UUID conundrum.

I hope this helps... I personally despise UUIDs as well, but they do have their uses. I wish Ubuntu would use labels instead as they accomplish the same thing but are easier to work with, but w/e.
    Ahh, yes for USB external HD I could see where this would come in handy! How many of us actually on a daily basis boot of an external hdd! Yes, I can see the importance of this, however for the majority of their users why not set it so that if it is internal it is not UUID dependent. I just personally think this is not a step forward, but a step backward for internal hdd. I use labels for my two external hdd so that I don't get confused, I mean who is going to remember a UUID number. Even the internet realizes that, and uses DNS instead of the ip addresses. IP address would be similar to UUID while DNS would be a label.

If I change my fstab will that rid me of my UUID problems. How can I get rid of UUID on my system? How can I partition Ubuntu to get rid of UUID for internal hdds? Thanks for the input!

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Labels are the way to go if you don't like UUID:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=139535

I actually have a RAID 1 array, and whenever I upgrade the kernel, it puts the UUID back in menu.lst, but as soon as I remember to put back in /dev/md0, its not an issue. Just wish it would auto detect the array.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaxx View Post
    Labels are the way to go if you don't like UUID:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=139535

I actually have a RAID 1 array, and whenever I upgrade the kernel, it puts the UUID back in menu.lst, but as soon as I remember to put back in /dev/md0, its not an issue. Just wish it would auto detect the array.
    That is exactly my point, that is not user friendliness, and will drive people away from Ubuntu. A kernel upgrade should not cause such problems as making a system unbootable. Mine always rewrites it incorrectly, and has several different installations. I don't understand that, and that is my problem with UUIDs.
    What does UUID stand for anyway?

Shane

Beans

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Thanks igknighted. Informative link.

Shane

Beans

Rest easy, as I also despise UUIDs. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

Running Kubuntu 6.06.

I can't get either ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid or vol_id -u /dev/disk to give me the UUIDs of my drives. Is there something I have to install?

I also have Feisty on another drive, and that is the drive where I need to know the UUIDs. I think. After some partition changing, Feisty will not boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast