Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Looking for a new computer

Yes, it's time to get new gear. So far I have found this;

XPS 710 Dell
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Core QX6600-processor (2,4 GHz, 1066 MHz, 8 MB cache)
    Dell™ Sort 22" fladskærm i bredformat (E228WFP
    SINGLE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX-grafikkort
    4096 MB Dual Channel DDR2-hukommelse 677 MHz [4x1024]
    500 GB Seriel ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
    16x dvd+/-rw
    16x dvd-drev
    Integreted HDA-lydkort with Dolby Digital 7.1

It's been awhile since I've been looking on the market, so a little advise will be appriciated.

Going for Ubuntu 64-bit, so I can make alot of game guides to for 64-bit.

Thanks

regards
    A.I. Dude
    Shade of Z - icon theme: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1516492/
    Shade of Z - GTK/Gnome-shell: https://www.pling.com/p/1550993

Beans

Re: Looking for a new computer

Looking at your ram, wouldn't you go for 800Mhz, not the 667 Mhz?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

AI, dude, have you thought about building a custom box yourself?

Go to somewhere like Komplett and order from there.

I built my machine from them, an AMD 64 3000+ with an MSI nforce Motherboard and Nvidia Geforce GPU. It rocks.

And the entire thing Just Works.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I have to second bonzo dog's statement.

I built my first PC a couple of years ago and was scared. It is really not hard though, and you get exactly what you want.

Another perk is that you can re-use some of the components from your old PC (optical drives, hard drives, any add-on cards, etc...).

I just picked up a dual core AMD 2.2ghz CPU w/ motehrboard combo at Newegg for $117usd. It's socket 939, so it is a step back from current gen, but it's not running Windows, so it is WAY more than solid for an Ubuntu build. Toss in 2gb of RAM for $100, and a 160gb hard drive for $29, and I've got the makings of a solid box that can do all I throw at it with ease (I salvaged an Nvidia 6600gt from teh wife's box).

NOW....

When looking at the machine you picked out there, you may do well buying it as a package deal as you are pretty much buying on the cutting/bleeding edge.

That's a lot of machne! I know that you can never have TOO MUCH machine, but you may end up overpaying for buying all the shiny shiny.

**edit
    I looked on Dell's website and couldn't even find that model. I didn't look that hard though. I was able to configure one that was very similar though and the price was outrageous. I'd seriously consider a DIY build if you have the stomach. I just tossed some random components together on Newegg and came up with a similar machine for about $2k.
    Last edited by aristotlewilde; September 25th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

If I were you, I wouldn't get an quad-core. I've heard that they don't give you much of a performance gain over the Core 2 Duo, and they cost a lot more.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans

Whatever you decide on and go for, post your final specs and let us know how getting everything installed/working goes. =] Wish I could afford to get a new machine w/ specs remotely close to that. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

keep in mind that dell and hp etc are all just names on the box ... don't pay extra for those models. Names like acer lenotov are cheaper for the same stuff (cpu,ram,etc) and many warrenties will be immeadiatly void if you add another operating system. as with all things computer go to www.newegg.com
    Stalker's Law : As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Thanks for all the good advise, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Shallard
    Looking at your ram, wouldn't you go for 800Mhz, not the 667 Mhz?
    any notable diffrence between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog
    Go to somewhere like Komplett and order from there.
    Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by aristotlewilde
    I looked on Dell's website and couldn't even find that model. I didn't look that hard though. I was able to configure one that was very similar though and the price was outrageous. I'd seriously consider a DIY build if you have the stomach. I just tossed some random components together on Newegg and came up with a similar machine for about $2k.
    It's an offer I saw on dell.dk (Denmark): http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...dhs&redirect=1

Nothing is set, I'll examin what's on the market first.
    Shade of Z - icon theme: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1516492/
    Shade of Z - GTK/Gnome-shell: https://www.pling.com/p/1550993

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

AI,
    Just built a custom machine myself that matches up well with the specs you posted for approximately $1,100 US. Purchased via Newegg. This build was sans monitor and keyboard and included only one DVD-R/W optical drive. I opted for a 640mb 8800GTS while picking up a 2.66 C2D processor. I advise at least looking into the DIY route. It can save you money.
    That said, I have no problem if people want to support Dell as they've done some good things in pushing open source to the forefront. Also, while often underpowered at their price point, these big-name towers are usually designed very well. There is something to be said for good heat/sound management.
    A lot of first-time DIY rigs end up soudning like hovercraft. I know mine did as I just cobbled together the fastest components I could.

dont get the quad unless you are doing 3d rendering or video encoding, as 99% of programs are single thredid, and wont make any use of the extra cores

ive just buld a computer with the q6600, i do 3d work, the quad dramaticly improves render times goes from 1/2 an hower on my old computer, 1.66 dual 2 gig ram, to 10 munites q6600 gig ram
    Last edited by hessiess; September 25th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast