Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative releases Linux driver for X-Fi: 64 bit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Creative releases Linux driver for X-Fi: 64 bit!

Well after 2 years they managed to release a Linux driver for the X-Fi soundscards. Except oh well its only for 64 bit. No idea who had that brilliant idea over at Creative.

Anyways, the driver can be found here:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/linu...Form.aspx?ID=3

Story on phoronix about it:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjA2OQ

Beans

Re: Creative releases Linux driver for X-Fi: 64 bit!

Whats the logic behing the only 64 bit release? I just cant get that. I use a 64 bit cpu but use a 32bit version of Ubuntu just because it has better support.

I really, really hate Creative but still they make the best sound cards =(.
    Try the beautiful Enlightenment17 distro OzOS. | Easy way to install Enlightenment17 from CVS.
    Thanks Rui Pai for all you work intergrating this beautiful Desktop Shell with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Jeezzzz... I'm 32 bits away from the proper driver now. Not quite bright these Creative guys anyway.

Thanks for the information mate!
    Kane Lives!
    http://www.kanelives.org/

Another proud member of the brotherhood of NOD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Whats the logic behing the only 64 bit release? I just cant get that. I use a 64 bit cpu but use a 32bit version of Ubuntu just because it has better support.

, not anymore! High Def audio and video is just better on 64bit. I think with this turn of events, 64 bit Ubuntu became better supported. Java? The iced tea project has a fully open-sourced java implementation that can be used in 32 or 64 bit. Flash? nspluginwrapper works great. Creative drivers? 64 bit only. The "32 bit is better supported" argument was true for Dapper, but times have changed. 64 bit chips should run 64 bit OS now, otherwise you are holding back progress based on old assumptions that are no longer true.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Oookay... that seems very dumb. Better than nothing I suppose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, looks like my X-Fi card will remain on the shelf until I decide to move over to Ubuntu 64bit

Good thing I didn't pay anything for that card.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans

This is crazy. You'd think they might as well not have bothered! Many don't have 64bit chips, and many of those who do don't run 64bit linux on them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

lol, no

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

About time!! Woot!
    But why only 64bit?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16 View Post
    This is crazy. You'd think they might as well not have bothered! Many don't have 64bit chips, and many of those who do don't run 64bit linux on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot
    But why only 64bit?
    I'm 99% sure that the reason is technical, and also 99% sure that once a few more of the complications with the 32bit version are worked out they will release it as well.

This is based only on data I have read about HD stuff working better in 64bit than 32bit, and a theory I have that Creative wants something out the door to get people off their case. When the 32bit version is ready, I am sure it will be released. Until then, it's nice to have something to push people towards 64bit, because they should be doing it anyways but the community has not done a good job providing an impetus for this, and now Creative has.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast